AKG K240 or KRK KNS6400 for mixing - Which one fits better for me?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After a few researches and a few topics posted on forums (:shrug:), I'm finally between only two headphones (that fits my budget and my purpouses), and my doubts go beyond the simply "which one is better". And you know, I've read a lot of different things about them, and thats quite confusing, so I hope you guys could help me out!

Here are some things I've read about for you to tell me if they're right and which one is better for me.

First, some info:

My objective: Better mixing as its possible for a headphone, the closer to monitors as I can get (:hihi:).

Audio Interface: M-Audio Fast Track II

-

Contestants:

1) AKG K240 (55 ohms)

Pros: The semi-open design makes mixing better.
Cons: 1) Slightly altered low frequencies, making bass sound strong; 2) The slightly high impedance (55 ohms) will make the phone not be too loud on my Fast Track II.

2) KRK KNS6400 (36 ohms)

Pros: Very flat sound, very detailed, very comfortable.
Cons: Closed-back design is worst for mixing (which leads to a contraditory statement, I've read many people say this is the better one for mixing, but also its closed back?)

-

The questions:

1) Will the AKG K240 have significantly lower volume cause of its impedance on Fast Track II? Or The Fast Track has enough power to drive it? Is impedance, in this case, a factor that should make me go KNS6400 instead of K240, or you would still prefer the AKG's cause of the semi-open design?

2) Which one will give me a better perspective of a mix, considering sound fidelity? Better question: If you had to choose one of them to mix for the rest of your life (hope you dont need to choose that ever), which would be your choice?

-

Hope I made myself clear. Tried to read EVERTYHING about those headphones on Google, and I'm still a little confused, thats why this topic.

If you guys needs more info to help me, just say and I'll provide it.

Thanks a lot in advance. :help:

The AKG's should be loud enough.

They are also extremely comfortable to wear over a longer period.

A bit off topic, but I'll throw this out there from experience:

Headphones are great for checking panning, fade outs, and what you'll get with portable players, but that's all I count on them for.

Monitoring thru a $150 boom box at low/normal listening levels will get you better real-world results than ANY kind of headphones. Especially ones that have various eq curves (i.e. Pop, Jazz, etc.) or megabass boosts so you can quickly see what other people's systems (or cars!) will do when set to extremes.

The stereo image, bass, effects levels and even basic balances change once you go out to speakers anyway, so consider both in your budget. Just be sure to mix with it set flat, THEN check through the other settings.

My mixes have gotten SO much better and required less remixing since I started averaging between my studio monitors and JVC boom box, and they translate better elsewhere too. I'm sure the same would apply to headphones.

$.02

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

Thanks for the feedback, man! But I'm aware of all that!

I have a pair of monitors myself.

But you know, as many people out there, I do a lot of mixing at night and don't want to wake up my family, haha. As I work during the day all week, the only time I can mix on monitors on mid volume is by the weekend.

I won't ever finish a mixing on a headphone, but use it as a start, then when its possible use the monitors to finish it and change what is not good.

That said, any opinion on which of those headphones is the "less worst"? :hihi:
Xenobt wrote:A bit off topic, but I'll throw this out there from experience:

Headphones are great for checking panning, fade outs, and what you'll get with portable players, but that's all I count on them for.

Monitoring thru a $150 boom box at low/normal listening levels will get you better real-world results than ANY kind of headphones. Especially ones that have various eq curves (i.e. Pop, Jazz, etc.) or megabass boosts so you can quickly see what other people's systems (or cars!) will do when set to extremes.

The stereo image, bass, effects levels and even basic balances change once you go out to speakers anyway, so consider both in your budget. Just be sure to mix with it set flat, THEN check through the other settings.

My mixes have gotten SO much better and required less remixing since I started averaging between my studio monitors and JVC boom box, and they translate better elsewhere too. I'm sure the same would apply to headphones.

$.02

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

What YOU will like best, only YOU can decide.

Either go out, find a real shop that has them in stock, and listen to them.
Or find an eShop with a no-questions-asked return policy, order them both and send one back after having tested them yourself.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Havent tried the AKG, but i'm a happy user of the KRK. Everything i read about them on reviews prior to purchasing, turned out to be spot on. Theyre very very clear and detailed, and are a very good mixing companion. Only negative things are that they may be uncomfortable for some (but tgat can be addressed by replacing all cushion pads to the ones in the 8400), and the bottom end is a little weak on them.

Ps. I also had KRK's studio monitors, and i hated them - sold them after 2 weeks. Krk claims that their headphones have the same tone as their monitors, but its actually not, and im glad for that :hihi:

Ooh I would be happy if were that easy. I live in a small town in Brazil, bro. The biggest music shop here only sells instruments.

I could buy it online and return if I don't like (according to Brazilian law I have 7 days to do it), that is a way to test it, but having these forum feedbacks is important even to decide which one should I buy first to avoid the stress of returning something (internet stores here can be a lot annoying when it comes to post-sale custumer service).

By the way, if I haven't made some topics, I would not have only 2 probable choices, but more than 10. Imagine buying a headphone and returning it 10 times. :roll:

But I know what you mean and I agree. I'm only trying to make it easier. Don't be mad. :tu:

BertKoor wrote:What YOU will like best, only YOU can decide.

Either go out, find a real shop that has them in stock, and listen to them.
Or find an eShop with a no-questions-asked return policy, order them both and send one back after having tested them yourself.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”