Reaper users: Do you use inline MIDI editing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I takes to much time to zoom in and out, plus with the future additions it doesn't make much sense to not use the ME.

I use it for aligning midi with audio. Especially the chords. If you move around the chords at times it gives interesting results. To work around the zoom thing, I use an action to zoom the track entire screen but this is as good as ME. In ME u also get the toolbar. Also useful if you have separate tracks for drum parts.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

hibidy wrote:
ironflippy wrote:Super useful for sliding a note to match audio.
That is a VERY good example of why the feature should exist! Thanks for bringing that up.
True. Unfortunately, in that particular use case (in Reaper) there's no vertical crosshair / guidline for that kinda thing. There probably should be.

LawrenceF wrote:
hibidy wrote:
That is a VERY good example of why the feature should exist! Thanks for bringing that up.
True. Unfortunately, in that particular use case (in Reaper) there's no vertical crosshair / guidline for that kinda thing. There probably should be.

That could be useful in some cases. It doesn't matter so much to me, at least, because I don't want it to be perfectly lined up, just a bit tighter than my awful playing .

That surprises me if there isn't. With the SWS extensions and all the different options. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if it was something they could implement. I'm assuming you've brought it up at feature requests?

Speaking of "lining up", I sometimes use Reaper as a tape recorder... nothing quantised, just jamming. It feels very different when you have to record something and it has to be on time, or at least feel good. No "measure", no BPM, no nothing, just pure performance. ;) There's your idea to try something new. :) I like it that way. It feels really natural.

On the other hand, I don't exactly make orchestral pieces. Mostly noisy industrial. I guess that makes it even more awkward.. :lol:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Speaking of "lining up", I sometimes use Reaper as a tape recorder... nothing quantised, just jamming. It feels very different when you have to record something and it has to be on time, or at least feel good. No "measure", no BPM, no nothing, just pure performance. ;) There's your idea to try something new. :) I like it that way. It feels really natural.

On the other hand, I don't exactly make orchestral pieces. Mostly noisy industrial. I guess that makes it even more awkward.. :lol:
I'm doing more of that lately, too. It's easy to get carried away with sticking to a grid, just because it's there.

I never use inline editing. Only the 'big' MIDI editor, even for small changes.
Good idea and I definitely get why others may like it, but I myself have no need for it.
Why not align the audio to the MIDI? Much easier. ;)
LawrenceF wrote:True. Unfortunately, in that particular use case (in Reaper) there's no vertical crosshair / guidline for that kinda thing. There probably should be.
Huh? There IS one. It's called the play cursor.
If you mean things that show up both in the track arranging view and in the MIDI editor, then just press M (if that wasn't one of my customized keys, dunno) and put Markers where ever you want. Or drag a time selection. Either will show up in both. :)
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:Huh? There IS one. It's called the play cursor.:)
See that vertical line that appears when I move objects? That's what I meant. It's no big deal and (IIRC) Reaper does that with video or something and it may be there in the options somewhere for this too, dunno. But I was not talking about markers or the play cursor... although some daws do use the play cursor for that too instead of a distinct vertical crosshair.

It's literally a "crosshair" (a word I think I actually used in the other post?) with both a vertical and horizontal guide line in this particular case.

And again, maybe it's in there. If it is, please advise how to turn it on for all edits.

Ah, I see what you mean.
To be honest... I have no clue if that feature exists. I'll have a look. ;)

EDIT: Haven't found anything so far. Hm.
Definitely a good idea, though.
Feature Request @ Cockos forum?
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:
Why not align the audio to the MIDI? Much easier. ;)
Because I find it's much easier to move a single MIDI note than to timestretch or edit an audio segment. Plus, it sounds better. But, to each their own. I happen to use in-line editing on a regular basis for tweaks.

The only way I can see using it is if I start with the track dragged to a bigger size. Then if I want to change a quick note here or there, I can open the editor and do it. I may implement that.

What I really love recently with MIDI editing is setting up drum editing/composing tracks by using the main ME with a note naming file to put the drum names on the piano keys, then choosing the option to only show the notes that are being used, then choosing triangles instead of bars for the notes. With all notes hidden except those in use, the triangles get really big and tactile.I also have a keymap so I can quickly add notes under the mouse cursor (not the play cursor) and then move them up or down by a semitone or an octave and delete them with hotkeys. I set the grid resolution to match whatever the fastest notes are that I plan to use. Drum programming is a snap with all this.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

chokehold wrote:Ah, I see what you mean.
To be honest... I have no clue if that feature exists. I'll have a look. ;)

EDIT: Haven't found anything so far. Hm.
Definitely a good idea, though.
Feature Request @ Cockos forum?
Yeah, it's probably already been requested. Not a major deal really.

Anyway, Reaper's midi editing in general is sometimes just ... odd... or not immediately clear. Usually, you'd just be able to select a group of notes and just Move to Cursor and it would do that... move the selected notes to the cursor as a group, so in that case you could really just use the play cursor for vertical alignment with something else and then just move the group of notes there. It works the same way in Cubase with inline midi or in the key editor...

So you could just tab to a transient on an audio clip and then "Move to Cursor" to align midi with audio without even really zooming in.

But Reaper has this action Move Left Edge of Note to Play Cursor, another one of those elongated "For Dummies" action descriptions that literally does exactly what it says but it doesn't keep the note intervals. It moves all the note starts to the play cursor...

If there's another action in there somewhere that will just move the entire group of selected notes all together (as usual, there actually may be an action for that, dunno, I can't find it), that would work just as well for aligning midi to audio.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”