Is it legal for mac users to change the gui of plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, it is much easier in most cases for mac cause it doesn't involve dll hacking.

You just drop the graphics in the resource folder, done.

I don't want to do this id it's going to break any laws at all.

But for example i found some beautiful changes for dune gui floating around,

and i am tempted...

just don't want to do anything even remotely illegit..

any clue?

cheers

Never seen any myself, got any links to images?

If it's for your own personal use, I don't think anyone can put a gun to your head for it.

TheoM wrote:for dune
Does that mean you've already bought it?
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Kriminal wrote:Never seen any myself, got any links to images?
Well i follow certain "sites" because i report links to devs to get them taken down, and i follow what releases there are out of curiosity. I am not going to deny this, i've done it forever.. keep a track on things.. and i report, ALOT.. links often get taken down very fast due to my reports :)

and i don't have a single thing on my machine that isn't kosher.. that is a guarantee. You should see my paypal history :lol:

but i think linking to any of these is against the rules here.. just that these sites often provide plenty of guis for mac stuff..

I just don't want anyone to even contemplate that i have seen these sites for any other reason than to report to devs, sample guys, patch guys, etc, but lately i have taken a huge curiosity to the guis posted.

Anyway

i uploaded one i like to image shack.. i LOVE orange and it's used here without being eye blasting like it is in Oxium :lol:

just an example here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ghostwave wrote:
TheoM wrote:for dune
Does that mean you've already bought it?
around an hour ago :)

Thats just colour changes, and looks shit. I thought you meant a new GUI

Well yes there are some that are radical changes, as in complete.. there's stuff for ultra analog which i no longer own, sylenth, ditto, where you would not even recognize the original.

PSP etc, too.

The dune one mustn't have uploaded correctly, as it looks much bolder than the original on the original webpage pic.. i really like it..

oh and while you are looking Dave:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373911

In general "modding" programs is legal, unless the process involves decrypting or reverse engineering. And even then for example game developers often encourage it since it's free marketing.

Also depends where you live, but I have hard time believing EULA's restricting personal use would be legit anywhere.

But this is actually something different and probably illegal. Derivate work made without permission and distributed, but I don't think Synapse really minds it at all :)

Ok great.

I clearly remember the sylenth thing where Lennard said he strictly prohibited it as an example hence why the topic.

Yet it has more skin alterations than any other synth on the site :hihi;

i got bored one day and changed a bunch of stuff in Logic. guess I could have written some music, but seemed like a way better use of my time to put brushed steel knobs on the mixer. :)
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

don't say stuff like that without showing and sharing! :hyper:

You can do whatever you want if you don't sell/share it.

i've changed guy elements in logic, sylenth1...and dune. they're mine, i own them, i've made them more to my liking (hey, i've hacked my mac, and jailbroken my iphone as well).

ownership has it's privileges...

Return to “Instruments”