Amplitube force installing drivers unnecessarily? why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Does it bother you that IK Amplitube Installs Hardware Drivers without any warning or option not to?

I use the software only, so yes.
43%
I use IK Amp related hardware, so no.
No votes
I use either/or but i don't care
22%
I do not use IK amplitube or anything related BECAUSE of this issue
18%
I don't use anything from IK for unrelated reasons
10%
Perfect anonymous opportunity to say.. I really do hate you TheoM
7%

Total votes: 60

RELATED
PRODUCTS

EDIT Fri April 27 '13. Decided to make a poll. Just have to know if i am the only one this bothers. Polls are anonymous, Will at least give IK a true indication whether they should change it. Oh, this is aimed at those who use amplitube, but i have covered i think the important poll options.

Original Post:

what is the sonik1 and google analytics the amplitube custom shop asks to connect through?

Little snitch on mac catches everything,

and i would say this seems like some sort of advertising tracking...

IK please explain why it just doesn't connect to ik multimedia . com

and if i block the google will it still work?

Thanks,

T

EDIT 25-04-2013 :

Custom shop connection alerts to unknown websites / sources seem to have been tamed after this topic (coincidence? )

it still wants to connect to google but i don't let it, and it works fine. The other site(s?) mentioned are not connected to (or attempted to) any more - at least on mac. I can't speak for win.

It's only IK and google it asks for, i allow only IK, works fine.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Never got an answer to this.. but wanted to add more..

by the way.. ik support.. sorry Peter and Brian...one ticket going on for weeks, and it's usually 2 weeks or more between replies.. to do with crashing.. i have given up on getting support through the ticket system ( I have NEVER had a support issue resolved through the ticket system in 9 years.. not a single time).. so i am posting here where i have a much better chance of getting answers.

EDIT - over 4 weeks now.

Anyway..

I HAVE to know.. I really do.. cause support won't answer this...

There are those of use who want to use amplitube as a plug in, nothing more, and would never want more

why does the installer not give you the option of deselecting all those extra driver kexts?

I am not installing amplitube at all anymore because of this and the launch daemons.

There is absolutely no good reason to install drivers on my laptop and backround processes when i will never ever ever use them

I sincerely hope this is looked into and an option is made in the installer.

You guys don't allow us to even choose which versions we want. Precious ssd space and reads/writes on the ssd for no reason again.. i am force to install the rtas,vst etc and all i want is the AU.

bit annoyed at all this TBH.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theo, please send me your ticket number and we'll see what's up. Support will take care of it, and answer any of the connection and driver issues directly and in detail. I will see to it that it is followed up on, I didn't see this thread at all, I apologize.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Theo, please send me your ticket number and we'll see what's up. Support will take care of it, and answer any of the connection and driver issues directly and in detail. I will see to it that it is followed up on, I didn't see this thread at all, I apologize.
I see this happening often. Is posting here and then giving you the ticket number the only way to get a response from support. The frequency that it happens looks bad. Maybe there are issues with your support ticket system not delivering to support properly. I'm not trying to bash you guys, it just seems to be a common thing around here.

I understand and we are looking into improvements on the back end system. Do note, though, that one isn't going to hear "hey that ticket went great!!!" on an internet forum very often. That's just the way things go. I do see your point, however, and wanted to let you know we're always looking at improvements to this system and definitely are doing so. Support handles many hundreds of tickets per week without incident.

ok the support ticket is totally unrelated to this. They have answered today but there's no fix so to speak.

It's with regarding to Tracks CS crashing, so i am going back to version 3, with the pultec without the latency fix LOL.. simply because it was stable.

No ticket opened yet for this..

am not installing amplitube at this point till they can provide an installer without all the unnecessary rig control and stealth pedal drivers.. how hard logistically can it be to do that really?

Thanks Peter anyway of course

Actually i'd like to put it this way:

is there ANYONE here who will never use IK hardware who AGREES with installing drivers on their system to use a plugin?

TheoM wrote:Actually i'd like to put it this way:

is there ANYONE here who will never use IK hardware who AGREES with installing drivers on their system to use a plugin?
I only want to install what I use. I have no interest to choke my system with stuff I will never need. So, yes, a installer should give you the option on what to install. I agree that disc space has become precious again with SSDs. On another note: did you get an answer on your question about the sonik1/google analytics issue?

no.

TheoM wrote:no.
Too bad! If there is one thing I am allergic to it is plugins that send data to third parties. At least this is my understanding of your first post in this thread. Or did I misinterpret this?

There DEFINITELY IS a problem with IK's ticketing system, and there always has been.

I remember from several years back, when I asked my first question using that ticketing system, that opening a ticket occasinally got me a not very helpful first reply in a week or two, and from then on every reply I sent went unanswered.

When one of my tickets went unanswered for weeks again, I sent PMs here with someone at IK, and together we found out that replying to the eMail sent from the ticketing system didn't work - even though the eMail said something like "reply to this eMail to post your answer to the ticket" or words to that effect.

Visiting IKs support ticketing page and adding replies to it via the system would work, the replies would then at least show up.
Still, no answers from IK unless I went through here.

One time, while trying to sort this out for the 2nd or 3rd time or so, someone at IK sent me an eMail that said something like "to avoid this happening again, write to my personal work eMail" ... which I did, and still got no answer without writing PMs over KVR again.

Even back then, IK's last word always came down to "we are looking into improvements on the back end system", just like they're telling you now.

Unfortunately, it's been years since then, so I actually deleted those PMs and eMails and have no written proof of it anymore. I just now looked, and I found one of my desperate posts on the Reaper forums from July 2010, when I had started an IK support ticket and gotten no reply as to why their software started crashing Reaper.

Not a hate post, I love my Amplitube and my IK compressors.
Just saying that there's somethin'strange in the neighborhood, and who you gonna call... no answer.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

I can't tell you why the standalone, non-plugin Custom Shop app connects to non-IK websites, but the plugins themselves don't. They're just normal, regular audio plugins.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:There DEFINITELY IS a problem with IK's ticketing system, and there always has been.
Maybe that's why they were number 1 in the poll about worst customer support, now deleted.

My experience has been as follows:
1. Create support ticket.
2. Receive answer that does not solve the issue.
3. Ask IK to provide a solution.
4. Wait.
5. Wait some more.
6. Remember that patience is a virtue.
7. Contact one of the IK people at different forums via PM.

In the end, none of my tickets have been resolved in a satisfactory manner, or even resolved at all. Some of their software is OK, but I seldom use it these days.
esoundz name: Helio

FrankT wrote:
TheoM wrote:no.
Too bad! If there is one thing I am allergic to it is plugins that send data to third parties. At least this is my understanding of your first post in this thread. Or did I misinterpret this?
Previously TheoM states "no ticket opened for this" so this is no surprise. Ticket opened, technical details will be provided by support. Quite simple really.

Ah Xoc Kin wrote:
chokehold wrote:There DEFINITELY IS a problem with IK's ticketing system, and there always has been.
Maybe that's why they were number 1 in the poll about worst customer support, now deleted.

My experience has been as follows:
1. Create support ticket.
2. Receive answer that does not solve the issue.
3. Ask IK to provide a solution.
4. Wait.
5. Wait some more.
6. Remember that patience is a virtue.
7. Contact one of the IK people at different forums via PM.

In the end, none of my tickets have been resolved in a satisfactory manner, or even resolved at all. Some of their software is OK, but I seldom use it these days.
One in the many hundreds may follow this pattern, as pointed out by me above. That poll was deleted because it was a specific smear job by a user with a specific thorn in their side from what I could see, but it was a mod's decision not mine. It was slanted from the beginning, and with clear purpose against us. Again, one out of the hundreds may follow the steps above.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”