What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Is there any reason to use Reason anymore?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Skunk Mod
 
20423 posts since 10 Jun, 2004, from Pony Pasture

Postby Meffy; Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 am

Zing! But that thread's in HPC.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
20022 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 am

Good point

[change of subject]So how about that local sport franchise's performance at that place that they play their sport?[/change of subject]
KVRist
 
56 posts since 3 May, 2009

Postby bulvanskägg; Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:05 am

V0RT3X wrote:
BertKoor wrote:
overhishead wrote:They are one of the grandaddys of virtual instrument scene.
Reason 1.01 was released in December 2000. Might look like centuries ago already, but:
  • Performer 1.0 was released in 1985
  • Cakewalk 1.0 was released in 1987
  • Cubase 1.0 was released in April 1989
  • ProTools 1.0 was released in 1991
  • Samplitude 1.0 was released in 1992
  • Notator Logic 1.0 was released in 1993
  • SawStudio 1.0 was released in the early nineties
  • FruityLoops 1.0 was released in early 1998
  • AcidPro 1.0 was released in 1998
  • Source code of Buzz was lost in 2000
  • Psycle 1.0 was released in May 2000
  • Ableton Live 1.0 was released in October 2001
  • Tracktion 1.0 was released in 2002
  • GarageBand 1.0 was announced in January 2004
  • Podium 1.0 was released in 2004
  • Usine 1.0 was released in April 2006
  • Reaper 1.0 was released in August 2006
  • MU.LAB 1.0 was released in 2006
  • StudioOne 1.0 was released in August 2009
So it's not a granddaddy yet, more likely in it's mid-life crisis :lol:


This got me curious so i am out looking up info on vintage sequencers. So far I found this.

http://tweakheadz.com/vintage_sequencers.html

Cool info!

How about digital sequencing in 1975 (fast forward to 5.50)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpE1U6duOZk
Skunk Mod
 
20423 posts since 10 Jun, 2004, from Pony Pasture

Postby Meffy; Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 am

robojam wrote:Good point

[change of subject]So how about that local sport franchise's performance at that place that they play their sport?[/change of subject]

My money's on <local team with name alluding to belligerent carnivorous animal> to win the <prestigious post-season award> this <fairly large unit of time>. I can't wait to see <traditionally inimical team> ignominiously defeated. Those guys are a big part of what's wrong with <a team sport> today.

BTW, did you know a new Kraftwerk tribute band is performing live with certain software on their laptops? It stands to Reason.
KVRian
 
857 posts since 31 May, 2007

Postby damoog; Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 am

I totally love reason still,I've just got back with an old flame called ableton live but I still love reason,when its rockin,it's rockin

The true quality of reason in my opinion is that everything just 'locks in' perfect and the original devices work extremely well together,I can't really be arsed with the whole opened up 'rack extension' thing but reason is brilliant
KVRian
 
781 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Postby ravasb; Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 am

liquidsound wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:is this a zen koan?


Mu.


That answer will dog me for a while.
If not now, when?
http://soundcloud.com/abergman
KVRian
 
781 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Postby ravasb; Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 am

ariston wrote:People put way too much faith in reason. Humans are not capable of pure rational thought, much as they aren't capable of seeing the world as it really is. That's not to say that reason doesn't have its place, just that its worth and the impact of its conclusions shouldn't be over-exaggerated.


Kant argue with that. Just read the Immanuel.
If not now, when?
http://soundcloud.com/abergman
KVRAF
 
2464 posts since 30 May, 2006, from US / Italy

Postby liquidsound; Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:25 pm

ravasb wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:is this a zen koan?


Mu.


That answer will dog me for a while.
Mu too...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28lost_continent%29
MuLab & MUX, Zebra-Bazille-ACE-Diva-Diversion-Dune2-Xils4-Aalto
KVRAF
 
1529 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Postby Ben H; Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 pm

The thread title is WRONG!
Because it implies that there was a reason to use Reason to begin with. :shrug:
My main tools: Alchemy, Iris, Kontakt, Omnisphere, Padshop Pro, and SWAM.
KVRAF
 
18917 posts since 4 Sep, 2001, from Melbourne Australia

Postby TheoM; Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:52 pm

ouch

:hihi:
"Just call me shitload, cause I own a shitload of plugins!"
KVRAF
 
1529 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Postby Ben H; Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:01 pm

TheoM wrote:
Ben H wrote:The thread title is WRONG!
Because it implies that there was a reason to use Reason to begin with. :shrug:
ouch

:hihi:


:P
My main tools: Alchemy, Iris, Kontakt, Omnisphere, Padshop Pro, and SWAM.
Skunk Mod
 
20423 posts since 10 Jun, 2004, from Pony Pasture

Postby Meffy; Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 pm

liquidsound wrote:Mu too...

My sister's children would insist that's a Pokemon.
KVRAF
 
2464 posts since 30 May, 2006, from US / Italy

Postby liquidsound; Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Meffy wrote:
liquidsound wrote:Mu too...

My sister's children would insist that's a Pokemon.
:help:
MuLab & MUX, Zebra-Bazille-ACE-Diva-Diversion-Dune2-Xils4-Aalto
User avatar
KVRian
 
848 posts since 8 Feb, 2006
 

Postby deep'n'dark; Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:17 pm

In all seriousness; Reason could be called a DAW nowdays, because it does Audio and has a 3rd party plugins - this wasn't a case before. I would ask that what does Reason not do, that other DAWs do? In the end of the day we all create an instrument and apply effects, usually nothing else is done so I gotta wonder that what do some of you mean, when you say that Reason is far behind?

Only thing that comes to my mind is that Reason effects aren't the best out there but now, with the Rack Extensions we can change that issue too. Some say, we need this, we need that: but you rarely need anything else that Reason already does.

Today I asked myself a question, because I have used Reason for 10 years, the question was: Do I really use Reason to it's full potential? I quickly answred my question and the answer was: No, I don't use Reason even close to it's full potential. I have a Intel i7 3,4 Ghz and 16 GB Ram - I can go crazy with my projects, because my powerful PC allows me to do that.
All these years I have been making music with Reason, and proved myself that "Yes, I can archive this and that with the combinator" or "I can create this sound too with Reason after all" But every DAW needs some work - Reason isn't an exception.

Let me ask a question: When you've created an instrument, Do you tweak it a lot or are you in a hurry to make tomorrow's hit and you release half-baked music all of the time? I know I've been on this boat myself. But some days, when I launch Reason, I feel really good about it, - I feel that I'm able to do everything with it. The FSB effect library is huge and it has so many different sounding patches and lot of them sound Great! + I've made many effects myself. The thing is that, the raw and boring instruments wont do it. Usually every instrument needs some EQ or reverb, sometimes some modulation or compression . . . and it needs to sound right. To make it right, it needs your focused judgement and ears. If your motto would be like Adam Fielding has said: "It's right when it's right" and you'd be mixing that in your mind, you'd be doing a lot better music.

To sum it all up: Treat your instruments, Record perfect audio takes - mix like a Master - choose the right sounds, draw interesting midi arrangements, take down the flaws and you'll notice how big difference there is comapared when you're a lazy whining studio-rat!
Image
KVRian
 
776 posts since 19 May, 2011, from North Carolina

Postby JoeCat; Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 pm

decalogue wrote:The only software that I have a genuine respect for is Renoise. That software alone is worth 10 times more than all other DAWs on the planet combined.


Renoise is the most underrated...thing. :)

Every time there's a thread like this I think "what's the context". I mean, if you have a particular goal/workflow in mind, a tool may or may not work for you. But if your creativity is more open-ended, different tools can inspire different results. I find most things a lot easier to do in Live than Renoise, but Renoise inspires me to do something different. If I have the time/money I'd probably pick up Reason just for the change of scenery.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)