Serialism Psychedelia and a haunting imitation of Randy Newman: The 3rd Sordid Business Album

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was a lot of fun! I dug the lathering of Lumpy Gravy ca 5 min mark. Wacked and lovely.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

I didn't encounter anything particular 'difficult' in the 11+ minutes I took so far, but for the thing of very different styles bumped right up against each other. So I did download it. I'm involved in something right now which is typical and I don't have that much room for other music... but I found everything exceedingly well-made here and expect to explore more of it later.

definitely see why you cut it all into one file, particularly vis a vis soundcloud. (my albums are made to be one composition but I don't expect hardly anyone is going to take that much time, I found even my ten or twelve minute tracks - I tend to make 2 and 3 minute pieces, entrained by 45 RPM records - are ignored in social media contexts.
So I am yet to make something with Lather-type of cuts, although one Russian fan has cut some things of mine together with comedy interspersions.)

So far I liked the very opening best, which seems to meld the country or celtic aspect with the 'prog' electric. the abrupt cut out of the psychedelic thing of the e. guitar of course reminded me of We're Only In It For the Money.

Well, there's rather a lot of it... all different :o
Were you trying to make sure there would always be something that the listenr would like? :roll:

Well, I liked all of it so nerrr!
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

MickGael wrote:This was a lot of fun! I dug the lathering of Lumpy Gravy ca 5 min mark. Wacked and lovely.
Thanks. That is right about where the actual song called 'blues for arnold' is excerpted. Serialism is not dead!

:lol:
jancivil wrote:I didn't encounter anything particular 'difficult' in the 11+ minutes I took so far, but for the thing of very different styles bumped right up against each other.
Yes, but your listening habits are probably fairly open to what others call 'difficult', so....

So I did download it. I'm involved in something right now which is typical and I don't have that much room for other music... but I found everything exceedingly well-made here and expect to explore more of it later.
I understand entirely. Life can get really busy, and sometimes listening to music can obstruct one's own creative processes.

definitely see why you cut it all into one file, particularly vis a vis soundcloud. (my albums are made to be one composition but I don't expect hardly anyone is going to take that much time, I found even my ten or twelve minute tracks - I tend to make 2 and 3 minute pieces, entrained by 45 RPM records - are ignored in social media contexts.
So I am yet to make something with Lather-type of cuts, although one Russian fan has cut some things of mine together with comedy interspersions.)
I admit that the seamless album idea is kind of pretentious, and we are actually in the process of making cds with proper track splits for local distribution. But splitting something like this up with little gaps of silence is a jarring and unpleasant experience. And if you are going to take the time to make something like this it makes little sense to let it get butchered by an mp3 player.

The problem is that many budget cd players do the same thing with a cd! I discovered this when listening to Dark Side of the Moon in a friend's car. ANNOYING!

So far I liked the very opening best, which seems to meld the country or celtic aspect with the 'prog' electric. the abrupt cut out of the psychedelic thing of the e. guitar of course reminded me of We're Only In It For the Money.
I thought you might catch that reference.

:wink:

folderol wrote:Well, there's rather a lot of it... all different :o
Were you trying to make sure there would always be something that the listenr would like? :roll:

Well, I liked all of it so nerrr!
Oops, the edit of my last post didn't work right. Too little sleep, I guess.

I am glad you liked it all. The fact is that we have terabytes worth of music sitting around. When I make a collection like this, it is a very intuitive and sloppy process involving all kinds of trial and error. For example, the part at around 7:30 was totally redone twice before I could let it go. That 85 seconds of music took about 40 hours to complete, total.

Compulsive? I'm not compulsive.

:hihi:

Thanks for listening.

And to everyone: Thanks for listening.

herodotus wrote:
jancivil wrote:I didn't encounter anything particular 'difficult'
Yes, but your listening habits are probably fairly open to what others call 'difficult', so....
Yeah, there is one type of thing in what I heard that perhaps a majority of people here are going to balk at. there is music I find difficult and wouldn't pursue but so far, though. I am typically too involved in my own process to listen to much for very long, with the exception of, I will hear a whole raga even if it's an hour.

jancivil wrote:
herodotus wrote:
jancivil wrote:I didn't encounter anything particular 'difficult'
Yeah, there is one type of thing in what I heard that perhaps a majority of people here are going to balk at. there is music I find difficult and wouldn't pursue but so far, though. I am typically too involved in my own process to listen to much for very long, with the exception of, I will hear a whole raga even if it's an hour.
I have actually had to ride the bus a great deal lately (Minnesota winter makes long distance bicycling kind of hazardous), and so I have been listening to all kinds of stuff for the first time in years. I just ripped Satie's Gymnopédies and Debussy's late Sonatas, neither of which have I heard in at least 5 years. It makes the tedium much less tedious, so to speak. Occasionally I will just sit there with my eyes closed, listening, until some homeless person's olfactory presence rudely brings me back into reality.

herodotus wrote:It is odd how you use the word 'embiggens', as Charles uses exactly that word all of the time. He even refers to his wretchedly excessive pedal board as the Embigulator:

The scary part is that he has added quite a bit more to it since this photo was taken.
:-o :-o :-o

I love fx and am so glad I don't have to try to do things like that... but it's might beauteous nonetheless!

'embiggen' is a perfectly cromulent word!
Principal Skinner wrote:He's embiggened that role with his cromulent performance.

herodotus wrote:I have actually had to ride the bus a great deal lately (Minnesota winter makes long distance bicycling kind of hazardous), and so I have been listening to all kinds of stuff for the first time in years. I just ripped Satie's Gymnopédies and Debussy's late Sonatas, neither of which have I heard in at least 5 years. It makes the tedium much less tedious, so to speak. Occasionally I will just sit there with my eyes closed, listening, until some homeless person's olfactory presence rudely brings me back into reality.
When I first got off the street, I listened to French music of the period incessantly, besides Varese and Zappa who I think are part of that lineage.

runagate wrote:
herodotus wrote:It is odd how you use the word 'embiggens', as Charles uses exactly that word all of the time. He even refers to his wretchedly excessive pedal board as the Embigulator:

The scary part is that he has added quite a bit more to it since this photo was taken.
:-o :-o :-o

I love fx and am so glad I don't have to try to do things like that... but it's might beauteous nonetheless!
He has this board feeding two different amplifiers, so no matter where you go in the room the sound will find you. It's frightening. Luckily I have my own monitoring system so I can hear everything I need to hear.

But the really scary thing is the idea of moving all of our equipment when we gig. There are only two of us! :-o

I liked a lot of this, and I enjoyed in context even the bits I might not have liked in the I want to hear that again sense. 8:something - 13:something is an especially good stretch, I think. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

jancivil wrote:
herodotus wrote:I have actually had to ride the bus a great deal lately (Minnesota winter makes long distance bicycling kind of hazardous), and so I have been listening to all kinds of stuff for the first time in years. I just ripped Satie's Gymnopédies and Debussy's late Sonatas, neither of which have I heard in at least 5 years. It makes the tedium much less tedious, so to speak. Occasionally I will just sit there with my eyes closed, listening, until some homeless person's olfactory presence rudely brings me back into reality.
When I first got off the street, I listened to French music of the period incessantly, besides Varese and Zappa who I think are part of that lineage.
Debussy and Busoni were both influences on Varese, and I have often thought that a time travelling FZ would have gotten along with the writer of 'Sketch Of A New Esthetic Of Music' quite well.

Most Busoni seems fairly tame compared to his talk in that 'Sketch', but the second Sonatina is pretty groovy.

D.H. Miltz wrote:I liked a lot of this, and I enjoyed in context even the bits I might not have liked in the I want to hear that again sense. 8:something - 13:something is an especially good stretch, I think. Thanks.
Glad you enjoyed it.

And thanks for the listen!

jancivil wrote:'embiggen' is a perfectly cromulent word!
Principal Skinner wrote:He's embiggened that role with his cromulent performance.
But can you debigulate a cromulently embiggened performance?

And will you be able to rebigulate it afterwords?

The world wants to know.

Return to “Music Cafe”