New! U-he Compressor and/or Tape emulator - Satin!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:Look, it's not gonna be like the others. For instance, it does the 80ies vocal compression trick that none of the other tape emus do afaiaa.

It's not just tape - it's "all of tape and beyond"
Ok. I was about buying the Studer uad but i think i'll wait... :hihi:

This will be the only U-He vst that I'm not holding my breath for, not because it won't be fab, but because I will never get over the damage tape did to my recordings over the years (my recordings were made on a TEAC A-3340S) and to my brain as a result. As if the flutter and hiss weren't enough, to make matters worse, water damage has since destroyed the oxides, making them unlistenable :cry:

I don't miss tape at all, but then I didn't record at the Automatt!
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Urs wrote:Look, it's not gonna be like the others. For instance, it does the 80ies vocal compression trick that none of the other tape emus do afaiaa.

Never doubted you for a second :)

iamyourfather wrote:

Never doubted you for a second :)
That's the perfect goal of a tape simulation for me. Not exactly to emulate tape with all it's flaws which may or may not fit your ideas for your current project, but to extract those qualia that make certain aspects of tape recordings desirable and exploit them to the Nth degree, possibly in isolation so the end result may not even sound like "tape" exactly, but is warmer and more organic.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I have the "alpha" version of this that Sascha did for Magix called AM-Track. :D
I am excited about this since Sascha is extremely talented.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/am_track_by_magix

FrantzM wrote:I have the "alpha" version of this that Sascha did for Magix called AM-Track. :D

Nah, no 'alpha'. Not even close.

AM-Track is 'ok' from my today's perspective. Has become sort of classic among the Samplitude user base, perhaps for a reason, dunno. I couldn't do better back then (2003 mainly!). But we devs also wade through deep learning processes all the time, and so I wouldn't want to repeat prior work. What bothers me a lot is that it isn't oversampled, therefore it doesn't emulate a 'real' magnetic hysteresis curve driven by HF bias. But for a tracking plug that consumes almost no CPU it's still pretty good, I think. But tape emulation has come a long way in the meantime, as has research on the topic. And, computers have so much power these days that you can mimic a lot more of the tape aspects and ingredients which matter a lot in getting the 'glue', 'gel' and 'smear' and 'oomph' that is so charming about that medium, apart from simply distorting things.

That being said, I can't comment more on Satin *at this time*, as I'm in the middle of development here, among other projects, and I don't want to put too much pressure on myself. I hate doing things in a hurry, so I take my time in constantly thinking stuff over and trash ideas when they don't seem work out right, and change perspective or try differently. I'm perhaps only good at empirical programming, but happy they let me do it at u-he ;)
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Is "Satin" going to be part of the Uhbik-bundle?
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Nope, it's got nothing to do with any uhbik. As Urs said, it's gonna be beyond tape, so it'll probaly mature as something bulkier than already foreseen here ;)
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

sascha wrote:Nope, it's got nothing to do with any uhbik. As Urs said, it's gonna be beyond tape, so it'll probaly mature as something bulkier than already foreseen here ;)
Ok. Cool. I'll start putting some money aside for this then! :D
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

sascha wrote:Nope, it's got nothing to do with any uhbik. As Urs said, it's gonna be beyond tape, so it'll probaly mature as something bulkier than already foreseen here ;)
Glad to know that.

sascha wrote: Nah, no 'alpha'. Not even close.
I was joking about the alpha comment. Satin sounds very promising. We are all struggling to get a little analog magic into our digital worlds. I am wondering if it will consume too much CPU for my ancient Core 2 Duo. (I will upgrade to a new PC sometime this year.)

I'll be watching out for this for sure.

What I'd really like though, is a software version of my old knackered tape recorder that couldn't erase when recording, so I ended up with a smeared overdub kinda effect. Do that over and over and get some nice muffled William Basinski-esque loops.

Have't got that recorder anymore since it finally gave up the ghost - long before I realised the potential creative uses of a broken tape recorder!

That would be great for me - a smearing, imperfect tape overdubber!

Unless anyone knows how I can butcher a working tape recorder to do this....?
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Could we be headed in a channel strip or mastering suite direction here?
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Gonga wrote:Could we be headed in a channel strip or mastering suite direction here?
Can I say I'd like to see it this way ;) ?

Even if it takes the whole year to come out.

A combination of advanced tape, vari-mu tube compression and clipping/limiting with transient enhancement algorithms ?

Where do I sign :p ?!

EDIT : Well, in a mastering package, you need an EQ too... So, let's say some parallel tube powered EQ :D.
Last edited by K-Slash on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K-Slash wrote:
Gonga wrote:Could we be headed in a channel strip or mastering suite direction here?
Can I say I'd like to see it this way ;) ?

Even if it takes the whole year to come out.

A combination of advanced tape, vari-mu tube compression and clipping/limiting with transient enhancement algorithms ?

Where do I sign :p ?!
me too /signed

Return to “u-he”