How many DAWS have you tried and what's the winner?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been using Fruity Loops in the early 2000's as well as Cubase VST32 - then i got Reason which I still use. Before Fruity I used some of the most cheesy sounding program that came with the AWE64 soundcard (Orchestra if I remember right). But I'm interested of an alternative DAW right now and nothing is as important then the quality. I have a FL STudio Demo, Reaper - I have had Live on my PC too. The title is asking your opinion of the best DAW in your opinion - My opinion doesn't matter as I've not used nothing else than Reason for the last 10 years. :)

If I decide to get an alternative DAW, it must be worth it! Reaper and FL studio are both strong candidates but I'm up to try out whatever else too.

i have tried almost all - i use cubase and fl studio within cubase. that combination works best for me.

i must say that i rather would give away cubase then fl studio just fyi.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:i have tried almost all - i use cubase and fl studio within cubase. that combination works best for me.

i must say that i rather would give away cubase then fl studio just fyi.
Yeah well there's something about FL Studio that gets people's love. The demo songs I've heard are sounding really good to my ears.

deep'n'dark wrote:
Yeah well there's something about FL Studio that gets people's love. The demo songs I've heard are sounding really good to my ears.
Thats down to the talent of the writer. They could easily make the same track in any host.

Demo songs for a host are pointless (tutorial tracks are different)

The only way to find the best host for you is to demo them. End of subject.

Kriminal wrote:
deep'n'dark wrote:
Thats down to the talent of the writer. They could easily make the same track in any host.

Demo songs for a host are pointless (tutorial tracks are different)

The only way to find the best host for you is to demo them. End of subject.
Yup, it's up to a writer indeed. But this is what I already knew. I was just interested of people's opinions who have tried out most of the DAWS.

A DAW is a very individual thing, and which one you like has a lot to do with where you come from.
To me, whenever I try a new DAW it seems weird to me, as I have always used Cubase and am used to the Cubase-way of doing things. I have tried a good couple over the years (EnergyXT, FL, when it was still just Fruity Loops, Logic before it went all-Mac, Live, Podium, Tracktion). But each, apart from EnergyXT, for just a very short time, as I was never patient enough to get through the hard start, when you are constantly looking for stuff...
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

VST Hosts ... They all do the same stuff basically , just some implement things a little differently . You just have to demo and find what works or feels the most comfortable and easy to use . I've tried most of them out, bought , sold , and traded back too again . I feel the most comfortable using StudioOne2 Producer . I also do like Reaper , Mulab , and Tracktion . But with that said Im still sticking with StudioOne2 . I do think if Reason would implement a simple VST HOST rack extension you would look no further .

I had Cubase, then Acid Pro ... been on Live since v6. Waiting to try out Live 9 once it's released. Can't imagine using anything else these days. Live's amazing routing options and flexible approach to writing, with the session and arrangement views, really suits my workflow. Love it :)

Been through 'em all basically. Finally ended up at Studio One, and haven't looked back since.

Josmoker wrote:A DAW is a very individual thing
Right on. Something to keep in mind among all of the banter, bashing, and praising of the various tools that we all use. That said, I find what works best for me are tools that don't get in the way and let me do things my way, as much as possible.

Here is my history:

- Samplitude
- Cubase (at a radio station)
- Fruity Loops (just a short affair)
- Ableton Live
- Samplitude (around version 10)
- Sonar (8 and X1)
- Studio One

I am finally happy with Studio One. Love it.

Worst experience as far as bugs and freezes go: Sonar X1
Finally!

Reaper all the way.

I would use FL Studio occasionally, because I started making (computer based) music with it and have quite some love for it, but there's no Mac version, not even a native Win64 that can open x64 plugins un-bridged... so...
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Amberience wrote:Been through 'em all basically. Finally ended up at Studio One, and haven't looked back since.
Been through various versions of Reason, Live, Acid, Cubase and FL Studio before I ended up with S1 a week ago. So far it seems like an easy to use version of Cubase.

I started with The Music System on Amstrad/Schneider CPC :D but it's not what your are asking, isn't it? :)

on PC my first DAW was an early version of Cubase, but then for many years I used Cakewalk and Cakewalk Pro Audio (I loved the staff editor and CAL macro language).

but when I started to make money with music (and the situation in my country changed, as the copyright law) I needed something that I could afford - I bought Reaper. and I really like it - it does almost everything I need and the workflow is similar to my way of thinking. I know there are some things that Reaper is not good at, I know that there are other ways of working (for example Ableton Live way of working or Reason/FL Studio way of working) - but I can work with Reaper and I don't feel restrained by it.

sometimes when I work in the studio I use Pro Tools - which I hated in the beginning, but I started to appreciate it after some time. but it's hard for me to sometimes to go from Reaper to PT :).

now I'm looking at Studio One - when I will have some free time I will try the demo. but for now I'm a Reaper guy :).
Last edited by PALU on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've purchased about 5 different DAWs. I've also received Lite versions of other DAWs with some hardware. Although Live 8 is unstable on my system, it's the one I put most effort into learning, so I use it. Maybe Bitwig will change all that, if they include the now familiar way of working I have with un-Ableton. :)

Harrison Mixbus is potentially useful, so I've been keeping that up to date, for example by purchasing the new FX bundle.

Cakewalk gear just isn't my thing really. Their 'support' is a bit hit and miss too, so I don't feel like investing time in their DAW products.

I used Cubase about 2000 years ago.

I recently put Studio One 2 in storage as I wasn't using it and the Library was taking up 20 GB.

I bought Reaper for some file conversion but don't ever use it actually.

I got MuLab because I was unable to authorize Overloud products via Ableton. Another one I never really use.

I got a total bargain on an old version of Acid and have upgraded that to the latest version but never use it.

I'm sure there are more hidden away on my hard-drives. FL Studio for example.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”