SonicBirth v2 alpha

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oszillo: SonicBirth v2 is 10.6.8 minimum. 10.5.8 is quite old.

Paulo164: this is already half-implemented, just haven't spent much time on it yet: you can save small circuits in ~/Documents/SonicBirth/Circuits/, and they'll appear in the module list like other modules, upon relaunch (please share those!). Instances will be a reference and not a copy.

tatsf: for rms of 2 items: sqrt( ( (i1*i1)+(i2*i2) ) * (1/2) ), for 3 items: sqrt( ( (i1*i1)+(i2*i2)+(i3*i3) ) * (1/3) ). Only one sqrt call, the division is optimized away, and you're left with only additions and multiplications. sqrt( ( (i1*i1)+(i2*i2) ) * (1/2) ) is equivalent to sqrt( (i1*i1)+(i2*i2) ) / sqrt(2). As for sum, this is built-in, you can plug many wires on an input and the sum will be used. As for things like abs, sign, neg, they can already be implemented in terms of the core modules.

@makira: Thank you. I will have to explore the "small circuit saving" functionality.

While trying to make complex circuit, I experienced a new need: the possibility to process the signal thru a circuit N times. Right now, if I design a circuit "A" with input (L, R) and output (L', R'), I have to put A-A- ... - A n times in serie to have my signal processed n times.

In pseudo programming language, I would only write:
  • For i = 1 to n
    • A (L, R)
    Next i
Here, I must write:
  • A (L,R)
    A (L,R)
    A (L,R)
which is a bit rough...

Do you think there would be a way to solve this in a smart manner? Feedback loop doesn't work properly in this case since it adds signal with different group delay (whereas serie mounting adds the same group delay n times, thus preserving the phase consistent).

As the alpha period is now reaching end, my feedback is mainly the following: I never ever encountered a crash from the application whereas version #1 was frequently crashing. This really is a big improvement in my opinion!

After 1st of march, will we lose all circuits we have done until now or is there a way to retrieve them (and have them working) in the future? I would like to save my work until the beta or final version is released. Thank you in advance for your indications.

Paulo164: Having a looping subcircuit is certainly feasible. I'd like to see a specific use case though, if you could make a simple case public.

I'll release a new version before March 1st with an extended delay. I expect the app to stay in alpha at least another six months, probably more.

New build available on http://sonicbirth.com

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
makira wrote:New build available on http://sonicbirth.com (http://sonicbirth.com)
Thanks for this.I just caught up with this alpha and as a big fan of SB1 I'm just going to get into it tonight.
Really like the look of the export features..
Thanks again. A final release of this can't come soon enough in my eyes.

how hard would it be to add a playlist function for the audio playback? that way i dont have to listen to the same song a thousand times since changing songs takes time and kinna messes with my flow. hahaa.

been playing with the alpha since its release on and off ... why is there such few modules included in sb2 can sb1 modules be imported into sb2? ... feels like ferrari with no motor at the moment... also i noticed when loading a Circuit with a user design example: (menu / open /delay.sb2) (a plug someone posted) and clicking the the level button to return to level 0 it crashes ... i realise its an alpha but im wondering if im missing something as it seems very lean on modules compared to SB1... any idea how far off you are from gui support can i get access to any of the source code i code a litte c from time to time would love to have a look see ?

OH yer GREAT STUFF LOVE IT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!

DAZZ2013 wrote:been playing with the alpha since its release on and off ... why is there such few modules included in sb2 can sb1 modules be imported into sb2? ... feels like ferrari with no motor at the moment... also i noticed when loading a Circuit with a user design example: (menu / open /delay.sb2) (a plug someone posted) and clicking the the level button to return to level 0 it crashes ... i realise its an alpha but im wondering if im missing something as it seems very lean on modules compared to SB1... any idea how far off you are from gui support can i get access to any of the source code i code a litte c from time to time would love to have a look see ?

OH yer GREAT STUFF LOVE IT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!
Can you send me the crash report ? As for the number of modules, I'll add more eventually, but most modules of SB1 can already be rewritten using the Core modules of SB2. As for seing the code, SB2 is closed source and I do not plan to open it.

New build on http://sonicbirth.com

- added DC blocker
- moved expiration date

New build on http://sonicbirth.com

- added a few modules contributed by dtpietrzak, see 'About SonicBirth'
- added the piecewise module:

split points are specified like this: 2;5

that will make three different subcircuits and the generated code will run like this:
if (input < 2)
{
subcircuit 1
}
else if (input < 5)
{
subcircuit 2
}
else
{
subcircuit 3
}

My plans are to add the midi multi note, implement some more filters and possibly anti-aliased oscillators, then we'll be able to build nice synths :)

cheers!
- makira

makira wrote:- added the piecewise module
Yé !

There's a bug with links between parameters and elements beyond level 1.

Lets say I connect a parameter to an element inside a circuit (level 2), I save the file, close, re-open. The connection between the parameter and the element at level 2 is gone. If I made another connection at level 1, it's still there.

Is my explanation clear?

Kewl wrote:There's a bug with links between parameters and elements beyond level 1.

Lets say I connect a parameter to an element inside a circuit (level 2), I save the file, close, re-open. The connection between the parameter and the element at level 2 is gone. If I made another connection at level 1, it's still there.

Is my explanation clear?
I understand, I'll check.

Actually, it's beyond level 0.

Kewl wrote:Actually, it's beyond level 0.
And it even affects regular subcircuits too. It seems this bug has always been there.

Released a new build on sonicbirth.com which fixes this.

Cheers!

Return to “SonicBirth”