FR: clips auto-sync

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really need to have the clips auto-sync to the project tempo when I drag them onto the arrange area. By the time I'm done tweaking this and that to make clips sync, I've lost all my creative juice. Perhaps I don't have much creative juice left but this seems like an essential feature... one that every competitive product has today. ...just saying... 8)

Not quite so bad once I realized that I had the timeline in minutes/seconds rather than bars/beats!!!

I wish I was at good at using T as I was back in the day! I'm sure it will all come back to me eventually. 8)
Last edited by Integratron on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

I agree to this....
Lost in Music...

I think you've sussed this yourself (you need to set the timeline to bars and beats, not minutes/seconds), right?

But there's still a bit of a problem dragging midi clips in, if you're then looking to loop them. You need to stretch them out to the nearest full bar before they'll loop properly.

An example shown below. The red clip is the original clip, created at 120 bpm, just 4 beats to the bar, 2 bar loop. (EDIT - oops, no it's not, it's a 1 bar loop, 2 notes to each beat. But same theory/problem)

I save that off as a midi clip to the desktop, change the project tempo to 150bpm (just to prove that dragging the clip in does sync it to the project tempo) and the blue clip below is what I get.

So the clip ends after the last midi note in the clip ends. Which means it's half a beat short of a 2 bar midi clip.

Not entirely sure how you "fix" this, code-wise, if the data isn't actually in the midi clip you import ... assume the clip should last till the nearest next bar? Is that a reasonable assumption?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

chico.co.uk wrote:I think you've sussed this yourself (you need to set the timeline to bars and beats, not minutes/seconds), right?

But there's still a bit of a problem dragging midi clips in, if you're then looking to loop them. You need to stretch them out to the nearest full bar before they'll loop properly.

An example shown below. The red clip is the original clip, created at 120 bpm, just 4 beats to the bar, 2 bar loop. (EDIT - oops, no it's not, it's a 1 bar loop, 2 notes to each beat. But same theory/problem)

I save that off as a midi clip to the desktop, change the project tempo to 150bpm (just to prove that dragging the clip in does sync it to the project tempo) and the blue clip below is what I get.

So the clip ends after the last midi note in the clip ends. Which means it's half a beat short of a 2 bar midi clip.

Not entirely sure how you "fix" this, code-wise, if the data isn't actually in the midi clip you import ... assume the clip should last till the nearest next bar? Is that a reasonable assumption?

I can confirm that, too....
Lost in Music...

Return to “Tracktion”