Sequence chopping...

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just noticed that after creating a long (4 bars) sequence, which I cut into 3 pieces... the individual pieces are still showing all the extra content from the original in the editor? Is there a way to cut up a midi sequence in the arrange and make each piece unique? i.e. I don't want the pieces of the original long sequence.... Not sure if that's the way it's supposed to work. I'd like to have pieces be unique when I split something...

:idea:

It's the way it works now. If you want the split parts to be unique, right-click that part -> "Make Unique Sequence".

Hmmm... I tried that but the chopped part still shows? I select the midi clip... place the cursor at a point - select split. Then select the right side of the split clip and select make unique sequence... what I get is the clip with a start marker at that slice point but all the data before and after still shows greyed out? I have to put a right loop end marker in and move it, and it asks me to "cut" that part. Then it deletes the original part and shows what I want...

Granted the greyed out part does not play, but if I'm editing/adding notes to the clip in the area I want to play I don't need to see that stuff I deleted do I?

:?:

DHR53 wrote:Granted the greyed out part does not play, but if I'm editing/adding notes to the clip in the area I want to play I don't need to see that stuff I deleted do I?
If it annoys you you can indeed delete those redundant events, like you did.

Maybe i can add a function that combines those steps, added a note on the WL, but can't give an ETA on it.

It's just confusing if you cut a clip into 3 pieces... the middle and end clip show the information before and after? So I'm editing the 4 notes in the edit window and I have this large grey space to the left and right that I basically was trying to get rid of? Also putting a right loop marker works to cut from the right, but I'd also have to do that from the left as well. That's a lot of manipulation considering I just wanted 2 separate clips out of 1...

I was thinking I could record a long passage and cut up and use selected parts but that's too much manipulation the way it is now. It's easier to just turn record on and off when recording... :idea:

yes, it would be preferable for me if the split clips contained only the notes within that area and not those outside the split point. always wondered about this function and why it works as it does. if you split up, say a 4 bar loop, into 4 separate bars then in all probability you only want the notes within each bar at the split point showing, and not those outside it to be included. have never understood why it works as it does

As a related point, I think it'd be really helpful if there were some visual indication of the end of a part within the editor. Something like graying out the grid beyond the point in the sequence where the containing part ends.

I also agree that removing content from the other side of the split is the natural expectation.

robenestobenz wrote:As a related point, I think it'd be really helpful if there were some visual indication of the end of a part within the editor. Something like graying out the grid beyond the point in the sequence where the containing part ends.
That's how it is!

mutools wrote:
robenestobenz wrote:As a related point, I think it'd be really helpful if there were some visual indication of the end of a part within the editor. Something like graying out the grid beyond the point in the sequence where the containing part ends.
That's how it is!
You're right of course. The lightness difference on my laptop was so slight I could barely notice it until I moved the part end around in the composer with the loop window open. Sorry!

I can see that being able to create loops "within" a midi clip is valuable... especially on drum loops. But I think when using the "split" tool you are in fact wanting to cut the clip into 2 "separate" parts which you could then loop within the remaining notes... but not the original midi file. Live sort of does the same thing with it's midi editor but I'm used to cutting up pieces then "merging" them together for new clips. Having the remnants hanging around would be a nightmare at some point...

actually I mention this because I was getting so confused with the loop start and part start in a large loop I cut up - I deleted it and started over a couple times. :)

yes, i think this functionality needs rethinking jo. i've given up many times and just deleted and started again cos it's annoying to have the stuff you've cut out when you split still in the bar. can this be changed or at least there be the option to do it either way? i often cut and merge to create what i had in mind but played badly or just as general creative tool. as it stands i can't use it easily to achieve this.

The thing is, you can do what you're after with the system as it is. Changing it to be destructive would be to remove functionality. Splitting currently is effectively taking a clone-copy and setting new end (on the original) and start (on the clone) parts. This means you're still working on the original, have all the note data there and can move the split parts around freely -- and then adjust the end or start again, if needed, very easily. If you had split and deleted all the "redundant" data, then discovered you wanted one bar earlier, too, in the later split... well, you'd have to start all over again. Undo might be an hour back. So it's just much more handy to have it how it is.

I guess a "hard split and delete after/before" command would be okay but I wouldn't want it to be the default.

i appreciate the non destructive aspect but i've always just made a copy of the whole part before i start chopping into bars so i can return to it if necessary. it's a personal thing;the way it is at present it doesn't suit the way i chop bars, move notes around and then merge bars. it means i can't work the way i prefer to and is fundamental to how i write so it is a big problem for my workflow. glad someone brought it up and hope jo has a look at a possible alternative.

I would like to keep it as is.
For me it's just perfect.

And if it would change than splitting audio would have to follow, where i have even greater resistance.

The current split behaviour is just great!

That simply makes no sense at all. Why would I split a clip if I wanted all the original information? The function you are referring to is called "slip" which lets you move the left or right boundaries of the note information around the notes. That is not what "splitting" a sequence is...

:roll:

Return to “MUTOOLS”