IK Miroslav philharmonik or total workstation XL?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I went ahead and bought miroslav at the special price running now.

I did download sampletank free and checked out all the sounds, and the only ones that I really liked were from the miroslav collection and the accordion and harmonium which is why I was hesitant. Everything else in the demo I had covered somewhere else and felt my other VI sounded better. The difference between the normal pricing of miroslav to workstation made it tempting, but with the $50 miroslav, an extra $150 for total workstation doesn't make sense for me given what I heard in the demo.

But I am looking forward to using miroslav.
Last edited by jeshi on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great choice! Of all the other IK VIs, Sonik Synth is probably the most versatile and best bang for the buck, with lots of great (and rare!) vintage synths and real instruments in all categories too. And at these prices, it's hard to go wrong!

As to Sampletank's sound quality, one trick I use on all my IK stuff is the Tone Control in the effects section. Put it on one of the Master effects slots in Sampletank Free, and step thru the drums and basses again. It's the closest thing to a "bigger, better" button in ST, and puts it head to head with MUCH pricier and CPU hungry VIs.

Also, don't forget that buying thru eSoundz.com will get you a FREE Xpansion Tank or Retank loop library worth $49, so it's like getting Sonik Synth for nothing! You get IK jampoints as usual AND eSoundz epointz too. Also, remember to refer someone at checkout for epointz, here's a list of KVRers and their eSoundz names:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217796

And here's the deal at eSoundz:

http://www.esoundz.com/details.php?ProductID=5031

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

Xenobt wrote:Great choice! Of all the other IK VIs, Sonik Synth is probably the most versatile and best bang for the buck, with lots of great (and rare!) vintage synths and real instruments in all categories too. And at these prices, it's hard to go wrong!
You are totally right, i often play around with it in standalone mode which works great. When i use it in Reaper or Live it crashes too often, so i feel me like back in the 90s with my amiga 500 and protracker ;). I contacted the IK support and these guys are sending the same workaround shit over and over but beeing lazy to fix this SampleTank bug. It seems the ICrap stuff has more priority. Im really dissatified and IK dont give a ++++.

As Peter wrote a lot of peoples using IK stuff but i read a lot forum posts from people who has similar issues. Not a few, a lot!

For now im using TRacks in my main setup which works awesome. This is a really good product! Amplitube too.

To me, the only IK product that works good is Amplitube. I have several orchestral libraries and Miroslav is pretty weak compared even with the free ones (Sonatina, Embertone Strings...etc). I can use it just as a "stage microphone" to other libraries to thicken the sound.
For the rest of the sounds you would be better with buying a synth plugin than having a sampled synth library.

That is just my personal opinion.

wehkah wrote:
Xenobt wrote:Great choice! Of all the other IK VIs, Sonik Synth is probably the most versatile and best bang for the buck, with lots of great (and rare!) vintage synths and real instruments in all categories too. And at these prices, it's hard to go wrong!
You are totally right, i often play around with it in standalone mode which works great. When i use it in Reaper or Live it crashes too often, so i feel me like back in the 90s with my amiga 500 and protracker ;). I contacted the IK support and these guys are sending the same workaround shit over and over but beeing lazy to fix this SampleTank bug. It seems the ICrap stuff has more priority. Im really dissatified and IK dont give a ++++.

As Peter wrote a lot of peoples using IK stuff but i read a lot forum posts from people who has similar issues. Not a few, a lot!

For now im using TRacks in my main setup which works awesome. This is a really good product! Amplitube too.
Do you have a ticket number where your issue was not handled to your satisfaction? Please provide it, thanks. We do indeed give a ++++ and I merely pointed out that thousands use it without a hitch and we'd like to help you be among those people. iOS (and now Android) products have actually be updated less than the desktop products in 2012 and 2013 so far. At NAMM we did have lots of mobile products displayed but I know that a Product Manager and I spent quite a bit of time meeting with people about non-iOS products more than iOS. We're not going to ignore a market that can fund the desktop portion of our offerings, though, but we are developing things in parallel and will have more T-RackS gear soon, more AmpliTube gear (and have been making changes to Custom Shop to make your experience better and will continue there too), as well as SampleTank 3 development. The last item mentioned also lends itself directly to the notion of working in parallel as you can hear versions of the work we've done for SampleTank 3 in iOS products like iLectric Piano, SampleTank iOS, and iGrand Piano so we're not wasting time we're doing our best to be most efficient and bring you great products that we can be proud to release.

pm'ed you Peter .. cheers

The sampletank stuff, while not the most full-featured, certainly oozes character. Almost everything is just plain fun to play, which gets ideas down quicker. My deadlines are super tight, so anything that will trigger my creative side quicker is great in my book.

I got screwed on the TWXL 32-bit deal--the whole package is useless to me as is. Nothing on the packaging says anything about 32-bit ONLY. And these days, everybody's 64-bit. What is this "bridged" solution to allow it to work in 64-bit??

Many people have used JBridge successfully. And some 64-bit hosts will support 32-bit plug-ins too (with a built-in bridge).

For others, I must say that the System Reqs are listed here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/to ... ndle-specs
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thanks, using Studio One Pro which claims to auto-shift between 64 and 32-bit but it can't SEE 32-bit plugs without J-Bridge. S1 has no built-in bridge as some other DAWs. So I guess J-Bridge it is, unless for some reason Bitbridge is better?

wehkah wrote: You are totally right, i often play around with it in standalone mode which works great. When i use it in Reaper or Live it crashes too often, so i feel me like back in the 90s with my amiga 500 and protracker ;). I contacted the IK support and these guys are sending the same workaround shit over and over but beeing lazy to fix this SampleTank bug. It seems the ICrap stuff has more priority. Im really dissatified and IK dont give a ++++.
Maruuk wrote:I got screwed on the TWXL 32-bit deal--the whole package is useless to me as is. Nothing on the packaging says anything about 32-bit ONLY. And these days, everybody's 64-bit. What is this "bridged" solution to allow it to work in 64-bit??
For 64bit Cubase the internal bridge works great with all IK SampleTank2 stuff, no workarounds needed. For other hosts or a bit better performance for Cubase I recommend trying out J-Bridge.

Sucks that those boxed products don't mention that they'r 32bit only. But the packages are prob made before that was an issue. It's an old classic product after all.

It was mentioned that there is a 64bit SampleTank3 coming. That might make it sound like it's a free update. It's not. It will most likely cost more than the current TWXL package. It *should* play the TWXL sounds though. Just remember to not count on anything before it's officially released.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Actually, mkdr, both Peter from IK and Squids at Sonic Reality, one of IK's main devs, have confirmed that ST3 will be 64 bit, be backward compatible with all the current 32 bit VIs and Xpansion/Retank libraries in the IK line, and have a timeline for release before the end of this year.

I'm keeping a cautious optimism for it myself, I don't want to jump to 64 bit before all my IK gear is there. And as you might have seen from recent releases, things just appear without too much warning. So the Magic 8 Ball says, "Chances are good." :D

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

Any word on an upgrade path from the 32-bit? Though I can't complain, I bought TWXL for $79 on Stupid Deal.

mkdr wrote:It was mentioned that there is a 64bit SampleTank3 coming. That might make it sound like it's a free update. It's not. It will most likely cost more than the current TWXL package. It *should* play the TWXL sounds though. Just remember to not count on anything before it's officially released.
IK Multimedia has not said anything about the price. It has said several times that ST3 will load all ST2 (and Philharmonik and SampleMoog ...) instruments. And that ST3 is planned for release by the end of the year.

No word on the upgrade path.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: No word on the upgrade path.
This was my point.

I'm keeping an optimistic mind and hope for the best, sure.
But if these things are not said out loud and people are left believing something when there's no promises there's going to be a lot of angry customers. "I was told there was an update coming".

I love IK, so just trying to help out here :)
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”