What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

musicworld
KVRist

274 posts since 4 Oct, 2007

Postby musicworld; Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 am Logic Studio For Mastering ???

Hi

I'm looking to master projects, scores, and solo instruments. Would the mastering features in Logic Studio render a quality master ? or would it be advised to purchase a 3rd party plugin such as Wavelab 7 or Ozone 5 ?

What are some high end mastering plugins ? alternately what are some mid range mastering plugins ?
Remember! Analog ears - digital minds
Ogg Vorbis
KVRian

1086 posts since 12 Sep, 2008, from Your basement

Postby Ogg Vorbis; Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 am

I use Logic and find that the delivered tools are very good. But for mastering, I think that they need some supplementing. I really love IK T-Racks for bringing out the sparkle in the mix and taming the EQ and band-specific amplitude issues that Logic alone can't.

T-Racks is pretty affordable and can make a mix sound instantly better.
careyletendre
KVRist

272 posts since 7 Mar, 2007

Postby careyletendre; Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 am

SoundTrack Pro, it comes with logic studio. You don't need anything more.
jancivil
KVRAF

9584 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Postby jancivil; Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:49 pm

I swear by Vienna Suite by VSL. whether that's high or mid-range $ to you {download is 475 euros from their site}, it is a full 'suite' of 'mastering' plugins incl a fantastic convolution/algo hybrid 'verb. Multiband Limiter, Limiter, Compressor, EQ, Mastering EQ, Exciter, Power Panner, Goniometer, Analyzer. Except for the 'fat' setting with the compressor, or of course the exciter, the goal is transparency rather than adding color or 'vintage' character which is what I use for instance the T-RackS Fairchild 670 emulation for, for some things.
musicworld
KVRist

274 posts since 4 Oct, 2007

Postby musicworld; Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 am

Much noted, thanks guys.
Remember! Analog ears - digital minds
TheoM
KVRAF

19214 posts since 4 Sep, 2001, from Melbourne Australia

Postby TheoM; Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 am

careyletendre wrote:SoundTrack Pro, it comes with logic studio. You don't need anything more.

Not anymore, it's been discontinued, only the lucky ones who have the dvd logic full studio have waveburner or soundtrack.
"Just call me shitload, cause I own a shitload of plugins!"
sprnva
KVRist

167 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Postby sprnva; Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:14 am

TheoM wrote:Not anymore, it's been discontinued, only the lucky ones who have the dvd logic full studio have waveburner or soundtrack.

And this is why I bought a used copy of Logic Studio. It cost less than the app store version and came with the full suite of programs.

Also, the loops from the app store downloads are lossy compressed, while the disc versions are lossless.
fmr
KVRAF

2964 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:26 am

Soundtrack Pro was not there for mastering - that was Waveburner (an excellent application, which I don't underastand why it was discontinued, as is it indeed an added value). But the OP was talking about plug-ins, not applications. Waveburner would justify the buying of the Logic Studio as a package.
Fernando (FMR)
Delfinoverde
Banned

Postby Delfinoverde; Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:54 am

You can do Mastering also inside LOGIC using the right third party Plug-Ins. I've done it since now with very good results. WAVEBURNER is an optional tool. Soundtrack Pro is comparable to ADOBE SOUNDBOOTH, strangely Adobe has discontinued support for this product too.

Well, you can also use external Audio Editors such as DSP-Quattro or similar, like (retired) Bias PEAK PRO.
George
KVRAF

2508 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby George; Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 am

sprnva wrote:Also, the loops from the app store downloads are lossy compressed, while the disc versions are lossless.

I don't think so.
fmr
KVRAF

2964 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 am

Delfinoverde wrote:You can do Mastering also inside LOGIC using the right third party Plug-Ins. I've done it since now with very good results. WAVEBURNER is an optional tool. Soundtrack Pro is comparable to ADOBE SOUNDBOOTH, strangely Adobe has discontinued support for this product too.

Well, you can also use external Audio Editors such as DSP-Quattro or similar, like (retired) Bias PEAK PRO.

Waveburner was not an option. It was a separated product during th Emagic periood, but was included as part of the Logic Studio suite. With the end of that suite, it was discontinued (only Logic Pro and MainStage survived). Soundbooth is also not the counterpart of Soundtrack Pro. That is Audition which is still available both standalone and as part of Creative Suite. Soundbooth was a derivation of Audition which made little sense, that's probably why Adobe discontinued it.
Fernando (FMR)
sprnva
KVRist

167 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Postby sprnva; Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:03 am

George wrote:
sprnva wrote:Also, the loops from the app store downloads are lossy compressed, while the disc versions are lossless.

I don't think so.

I can't pull up a downloaded loop just now as they were overwritten on my system when I installed the boxed Logic Studio. But if you open a loop .caf file in Quicktime Player 7 and check the movie inspector the retail boxed loops are "Apple Lossless". IIRC the downloaded ones showed up as "AAC".
Delfinoverde
Banned

Postby Delfinoverde; Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 am

fmr wrote:Waveburner was not an option. It was a separated product during th Emagic periood, but was included as part of the Logic Studio suite. With the end of that suite, it was discontinued (only Logic Pro and MainStage survived). Soundbooth is also not the counterpart of Soundtrack Pro. That is Audition which is still available both standalone and as part of Creative Suite. Soundbooth was a derivation of Audition which made little sense, that's probably why Adobe discontinued it.

WAVEBURNER is still an option! :roll:
SOUNDBOOTH is much better than AUDITION, which is one of the most buggiest software ever made! But of course this is my opinion only - formed with my experiences. :wink:
V0RT3X
KVRAF

4329 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 am

How about trying Logic with Ozone?
Best Advice I ever got : "Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music."
George
KVRAF

2508 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby George; Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:30 am

sprnva wrote:I can't pull up a downloaded loop just now as they were overwritten on my system when I installed the boxed Logic Studio. But if you open a loop .caf file in Quicktime Player 7 and check the movie inspector the retail boxed loops are "Apple Lossless". IIRC the downloaded ones showed up as "AAC".

If you do some quick maths with downloaded content, total size is almost the same as Logic Studio one.

If loops were all AAC, total size should be about 1/4 of Logic Studio DVDs.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)