latency with touchscreens - do you feel it when using fader/knobs etc.?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

Afaik all present touch devices have a relatively high latency from the touch screen self. It need a certain amount of ms that the action is registered. I've read about 80-100ms. I wonder with all these controller apps (lemur, touchOSC)..

1.) Do you perceive a lag when riding faders or turning knobs compared to physical, traditional midi controllers?

2.) And how about playing rhythmically on the touch screen (on fake MPC like iMaschine)?

3.) Is this a reason for people to use normal midi controllers on an iPad (like th mpk mini) with a connection kit to get a better playable latency?

I'm really interested how you fell about that or what your experience is.

J.C.R. wrote:Hey,

Afaik all present touch devices have a relatively high latency from the touch screen self. It need a certain amount of ms that the action is registered. I've read about 80-100ms. I wonder with all these controller apps (lemur, touchOSC)..

1.) Do you perceive a lag when riding faders or turning knobs compared to physical, traditional midi controllers?

2.) And how about playing rhythmically on the touch screen (on fake MPC like iMaschine)?

3.) Is this a reason for people to use normal midi controllers on an iPad (like th mpk mini) with a connection kit to get a better playable latency?

I'm really interested how you fell about that or what your experience is.
I don't notice any lag at all on the iPad 2 and 3. Feels fine to me.

Don't know the touchscreen lag but I don't think it's that high.
If I set sunriser to 128 samples (3msec) I can play really fast lines, but at 2048(48 msec) it'salmost impossible to play, at least never that fast. If the initial lag was over 80 msec I don't think the difference would be that big.
IMO the latency is under 20 msec.
With finger sliding it may be different as it's probably different detecting a click and tracking some movement.

I've not noticed latency issues. I fiddle around with pianos/e-pianos (sounds with a quick attack) while playing a pattern and I'm able to play just fine. Also able to input drum patterns to a metronome and don't really notice lag.

I do use a MIDI controller, but also enjoy thinking of ideas and playing around on just the iPad itself when I don't want to hook it up or don't have my controller with me.

80-100ms?

UHHHH...NO.

Sorry, if that was the case. I would not use my ipad.

I have used a couple badly designed apps that had pretty bad latency but deleted them and can't remember them.. Cheap gimmicky ones that had maybe 100ms latency
Otherwise it's all pretty usable

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”