What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Multicore - for real ?

Official support for: camelaudio.com

Moderators: ZenPunkHippy, ugo, biomechanoid, Ben [Camel Audio]

KVRer

21 posts since 23 Sep, 2011, from Sweden

Postby biomekk; Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 am

So my Cubase 7 supports multicore and my Alchemy does not seem to impose any CPU issues. So that's all fine but:
I've read in Steinberg forums that plugins must ALSO support multicore ?
Wich they should do if they are 64bit and even more if they are vst3 ?
Right or wrong ?

Reason for my question is: I got new computer,I7,32gigram, uppgraded to Cubase 7. But my Cubase7 cpu meter showing a lot higher values than the taskmanager. I was told that it measures realtime and only ONE core so it's all perfectly normal.
Yes,I have checked the multicore checkbox in cubase.
I place my question here because Alchemy might do something right while other plugins might not , at least in my system.
ugo
KVRAF

5445 posts since 6 Jan, 2003, from Leesburg VA, USA

Postby ugo; Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 am

biomekk wrote:I've read in Steinberg forums that plugins must ALSO support multicore ?

Yes, that is correct. Newer plugins (such as Alchemy) all support multicore processors.

However, old plugins do not - unless of course they have since been updated to add support for it. The problem I am most familiar with of running incompatible plugins in a multicore environment is that the host would promptly crash either when loading two instances of the plugin, or when loading a project that had two instances of the plugin within it. I'm not sure if there are also other less dramatic consequences, but the crash is the one I always experienced.
KVRer

21 posts since 23 Sep, 2011, from Sweden

Postby biomekk; Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 am

found a good explanation:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan08/a ... n_0108.htm

So If I've understood it correctly: One audio/midi tracks tasks always ends up on the same core. Several tracks can be spread out on several cores. It's up to the DAW how smart the distribution is, not the plugins.
KVRian

755 posts since 13 Jun, 2006, from Cornwall, UK

Postby MWSOS; Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 am

biomekk wrote:found a good explanation:

So If I've understood it correctly: One audio/midi tracks tasks always ends up on the same core. Several tracks can be spread out on several cores. It's up to the DAW how smart the distribution is, not the plugins.

I'm glad you found my 'Multi-core Processors For Musicians' feature useful! 8)

Yes that's exactly it - although most instruments and plug-ins run as several threads, developers generally have no control over how these are distributed among the available cores. This is totally managed by the host application, and most audio applications treat each mono/stereo audio track (or soft-synth/sampler track), plus associated plug-in effects, as a single task, and allocate it to a single processor core.

Martin
KVRAF

18429 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:50 am

MWSOS wrote:
biomekk wrote:found a good explanation:

I'm glad you found my 'Multi-core Processors For Musicians' feature useful! 8)

Yes that's exactly it - although most instruments and plug-ins run as several threads, developers generally have no control over how these are distributed among the available cores. This is totally managed by the host application, and most audio applications treat each mono/stereo audio track (or soft-synth/sampler track), plus associated plug-in effects, as a single task, and allocate it to a single processor core.

Martin

u-he Diva seems to be the one exception (well now ACE too). If I turn on the multicore option in that I instantly get significantly better performance and in this case it looks like it is the plugin accessing it not the host. Not sure what it does that is different but it would be great if Alchemy could do that kind of magic.
KVRian

941 posts since 12 Jan, 2010, from Copenhagen

Postby TwoToneshuzz; Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 pm

As a new Alchemy owner I to think a multithreading feature implementation like that in Diva and Ace would be the cat's meow!
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Moderators: ZenPunkHippy, ugo, biomechanoid, Ben [Camel Audio]

Return to Camel Audio