Midi guitar

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

polaris20 wrote:
Your eyes deceive you. There are 6 separate pickups.

And it's certainly better than the MIDI Guitar plugin, which has horrendous latency. The iOS app is even worse, to the point where I want my money back.

The YRG Gen2 is only slightly better than the Gen1, and it's still built for crap. A toy, nothing more.

To me, there are only two options: Fishman Triple Play, or Baby-Z (or higher). The latter is only $200 more than the FTP, and is every bit as accurate and low latency as a keyboard controller.
But it looked like a strip, and put on body of guitar, not right under each string etc. I thought it looked cheap with little chance of success - at least 5mm or so up to strings. Separation can't be that good.

I don't know if their Powerbridge might work together with Triple Play system. But as I read it was not really 6 different signals there either.

But you maybe seen it more closely than I have.

I still have my hopes for Line6 to do something. Their Variax system has 6 different pickups and they know pitch tracking really well. I put a feature request as well as post in their forum.

Post something here maybe if you like the idea:
http://line6.com/support/thread/66209

Let's say they fix an addon box for their VDI cable to a midi box, would be swell. Potential being the best midi solution for guitar ever. So much easier to track one signal from each pickup than trying to be polyphonic. And Line6 has the knowhow to do this already - the way they handle different tunings and virtual capos etc.
:)

I doesn't really matter what it looks like- the Roland pickups are the same way, and they are polyphonic....

Aural Chaos wrote:I doesn't really matter what it looks like- the Roland pickups are the same way, and they are polyphonic....
Really cool if it's good - I don't mind that at all.

I was just comparing how under saddle pickupstrips look - and made my assumption - this TriplePlay looks the same.

Probably expected 6 bumps or something. Checking on a guitar now, it's more than 10mm even down from strings to pickup. How much separation can you get?

lfm wrote:
Aural Chaos wrote:I doesn't really matter what it looks like- the Roland pickups are the same way, and they are polyphonic....
Really cool if it's good - I don't mind that at all.

I was just comparing how under saddle pickupstrips look - and made my assumption - this TriplePlay looks the same.

Probably expected 6 bumps or something. Checking on a guitar now, it's more than 10mm even down from strings to pickup. How much separation can you get?
Look at the Sweetwater image; you can definitely see the individual blades.

Mike, can you tell us about your little experiment?
Maybe the baby Z would be a good backup for my mini z.

Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

I like that ribbon on the baby Z.
Any word on the rock controller?

bill45 wrote:I like that ribbon on the baby Z.
The rock controller is now the Z55. You missed the boat they were going for 900 I think when they were first released. Not enough initial buyers so they bumped the price up to $1,495.00
http://www.starrlabs.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=74

It's a z5 that's made in China and chances are... You'll have to wait along with everyone else for a big enough batch order to be sent off to china.

polaris20 wrote: Look at the Sweetwater image; you can definitely see the individual blades.
Thanks, I will look into it when it arrives in the stores.

tapper mike wrote:
bill45 wrote:I like that ribbon on the baby Z.
The rock controller is now the Z55. You missed the boat they were going for 900 I think when they were first released. Not enough initial buyers so they bumped the price up to $1,495.00
http://www.starrlabs.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=74

It's a z5 that's made in China and chances are... You'll have to wait along with everyone else for a big enough batch order to be sent off to china.
I don't much see the point of the Z55, since the regular Z5's price has been reduced back to $1800. $300 more gets you an American made unit that likely will be of better build quality.

How do you know the Z5 is american made? The major difference is upgrade ability options.

tapper mike wrote:How do you know the Z5 is american made? The major difference is upgrade ability options.
Everything was, up until the Z55. At least that's what I was told.

Why would there be two models that are nearly identical, one costing $300 more, just so they could turn around and charge more for options on the one that's already more expensive? That makes no sense whatsoever.

The body and upgrade-ability.

The Z5 has a graphite body, no smudges no easy nicks or wear.
The Z5 also has full add on's where as the only thing you can add to a z55 is wireless midi and TCA

Mike Your solution makes me squeemish.In what mode, were You getting the stuck notes? Is there a + - octave shift botton, on the baby Z?

polaris20 wrote:And it's certainly better than the MIDI Guitar plugin, which has horrendous latency. The iOS app is even worse, to the point where I want my money back.
haha :D only the best latency in a software guitar-to-MIDI solution so far, plus it's polyphonic. I realize that this is the hardware forum, but the OP should definitely check out the MIDI Guitar plugin (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095), if only to have something to compare other stuff to. It's also way cheaper than any hardware solution, plus you can use your own guitar.

The Triple Play could also be a winner, but it's already a year past the original release date, so I'm not very excited about it anymore. The MIDI Guitar plugin takes care of my MIDI needs just fine at the moment.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”