Good Peak Clipper? (not a Limiter) What, where, why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am curious if anyone can recommend a good peak clipper... not a limtier.

Also, unless I am mistaken... a clipper is not like a brick-walled compressor...

If you think that a Clipper is kind of useless or redundant though, please point out why. :)

Thanks! :)

vladg Limiter No. 6 has clipper, peak limiter, it's free and it rocks.

vaisnava wrote:I am curious if anyone can recommend a good peak clipper... not a limtier.

Also, unless I am mistaken... a clipper is not like a brick-walled compressor...

If you think that a Clipper is kind of useless or redundant though, please point out why. :)

Thanks! :)
IK Multimedia Classic Clipper does the job. On the other hand, I don't have any comparative information because haven't used anyhting else than this one. H.

Clippers are not useless at all. IMO often much better than brickwall limiter or leveller for material that has very short and very loud transients, like drums, explosion and impact sounds.

GClip is great. The smoothness parameter makes it really versatile and it has oversampling. Only 32bit win, but it's free.

I have been using ClipShifter 2 that just came out and can highly recommend it.

sauli wrote:Clippers are not useless at all. IMO often much better than brickwall limiter or leveller for material that has very short and very loud transients, like drums, explosion and impact sounds.

GClip is great. The smoothness parameter makes it really versatile and it has oversampling. Only 32bit win, but it's free.
+10000000000 for gclip. it's imo the best clipper out there...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

I like the visual feedback on G-Clip :) Although I like IK's Clipper GUI the best.

I wonder which is more transparent... For some reason my mind always tends to think "IK's must be better cause it costs money", but I know that is not always the case. :P

vaisnava wrote:I like the visual feedback on G-Clip :) Although I like IK's Clipper GUI the best.

I wonder which is more transparent... For some reason my mind always tends to think "IK's must be better cause it costs money", but I know that is not always the case. :P
really, don't underesthimate gclip. i did for the first, back then, when it came out. but it really is a gamechanger, at least to me. and i tried a lot of clippers, both free or payware...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Cool thank you :) Into my folder it goes.

Event Horizon, by Stillwell Audio

Gclip by GVST

aside from their pricetag or appearance, what's the difference in how they clip?

If I may suggest something that is technically not to be used for this purpose: on Elysia Alpha, soft clip can sound really amazing.

that Event Horizon plugin looks awful.

Airwindows Drive / Clip (AU)
Fleischprodukt Waveshaper (AU)
MWaveshaper
ReaComp
DMG Compassion (clipper section)
Voxengo Elephant (clip algo)
Last edited by T Roll on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On Windows - definitely this one:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/peak_co ... r_by_sinus
There are 3 reviews, 1 by me.

I know it's called Peak Compressor and consists of a Compressor and a Limiter, but it's a nifty tool and much more transparent (=less fizzy) than most 'real' clippers tend to get.

You should give it a spin anyway, a mono version is free to use as a demo, download at dev's site.

I also used GClip in my Windows days, but that was mostly for a more aggressive effect.

Now on OSX, I hardly ever clip anything anymore. Most sort-of clipping work is done by bx_limiter on the stems and Barricade as a Limiter on the Master.

If I really feel in the mood for a Clipper, it'll be IK's Classic Clipper.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

ClipShifter 2 is a revelation if you want to raise levels without distortion.

Return to “Effects”