Gathering essential plugins. Take 2.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Soooo....
A couple of months pass since i started gathering plugins to use in my productions, and i got into the conclusion that most of them, although good plugins, are not suitable for my workflow or my style of making music.

I want to sell some of my current plugs, and start over all this plugin-gathering-journey, but now i wanna be more focused and buy only what i NEED and is suitable for House music production. I want this journey to be as short as possible, as i really don't have the time and patience to check every plugin in the world.

As i currently short on money, i would like plugins which cost as low as possible.

I need 1 good equalizer for mixing that sounds good when amplifying bands, preferably also have an option to apply different equalization to both left and right sides.

I need 1 good buss compressor that can glue well the drum bus, and even the Master bus (Cytomic "The Glue" is currently to expensive for me).

I need 1 good character compressor to apply on individual drums and synths to give some color (A saturation plugin will also suffice, or best is one compressor that do both the compression tasks that i need).

I need 1 multi-band distortion to get crazy with on basses and synths.

And i think that's it for now, i maybe adding some more later.
I know that the best is to pick plugins by how they sound, but as i said, i'm doing this for a couple of months now and i'm quite frustrated of this so i rather get from guys who produce the same type of music, to give me some focused suggestions that i can then demo.

Every comment is highly appreciated,

Thanks,
Erez.

EQ - DDMF IIEQPro, cheap

Buss Comp - VOS Density MKIII, free

Channel Comp/Saturation - VOS Thrillseeker LA (Pick up VOS Rescue MKII while your at it), free

I can't recommend a multiband distortion as I don't use that effect.

are you on mac or windows?
what's your daw? if you're using live (might be if you're doing house) you should upgrade to live 9 (soon) as it has a new compressor/eq and the glue included.

otherwise you should try molot (free) as a bus-compressor: http://vladgsound.wordpress.com
or dc8c (20€) for all compressor tasks: http://klanghelm.com

Thanks guys,

I'm on FL Studio, windows 8.
I'll check out your suggestion and see if get along with them :)

More suggestions are welcomed.

SplineEQ

I know it is expensive, but the FabFilter Bundle is essential, IMO and could do all you need plus infinitely more throughout time. :)

vaisnava wrote:I know it is expensive, but the FabFilter Bundle is essential, IMO and could do all you need plus infinitely more throughout time. :)
I heard Fabulous (:)) things about these plugs, but too expensive right now :(
eidenk wrote:SplineEQ
From reviews it sounds like a high quality eq, but isn't more a Mastering eq? I heard there are some delay issues.

edit: just tried it, it does have some weird delay on my machine when tweaking too fast, it's very noticable.

ferez21 wrote:
1 good equalizer
1 good buss compressor
1 good character compressor
1 multi-band distortion
Well, if you use FLStudio you already have EQ2 and possibly Maximus depending on the bundle you have. EQ2 is the reason I bought the Juice Pack. It's just a great little EQ that does the job. Looks pretty too.

Soooo..

1 good equalizer - DDMF IIEQ Pro, plus as a bonus, grab his free Colour EQ - it's one that sounds very good at high boosts. IIEQ Pro has an analyser built in too and both GUIs are re-sizable. I don't think you can do better at that price point.

1 good buss compressor - Density really is great and free. I use it on so much stuff. I don't think you can get better at any price. That is if it suits your purposes and 'clicks' with you. You may find it too subtle sometimes, depending on how you use it. But you should definitely give it a shot. Also check out Nasty VCS while you are there:
http://varietyofsound.files.wordpress.c ... styvcs.png

They both also include true side-chaining. Just to be clear, Density might also sound too brutal sometimes, depending on how you use it. :lol:

1 good character compressor - "Molot": the compressor with character
http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/

This is a great compressor with lots of control and true side-chain. And free! It's amazingly versatile too.

Alternatively, try The Rocket -
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/s ... ompressor/

It is very reasonably priced. True side-chain. Sounds exceptional on drums. Possibly because of it's super-fast attack time. Probably easier to get your head around than Molot.

1 multi-band distortion - FXpansion Maul.
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=193&tab=464

Not too epensive and you are getting real quality. Obviously try these things out to see if they fit, but I'm sure you figured that out by yourself anyway..

Also if you are registered with FXpansion you can get this for free: DCAM FreeComp
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=185

Sooo... the DDMF EQ and Maul may be all you need to buy. Nasty VCS has an eq built in as well. It sounds simply out of this world and looks the part. Very versatile. Bootsy could charge a couple of hundred for that and it would still be under-priced.

cheers.

ferez21 wrote:
From reviews it sounds like a high quality eq, but isn't more a Mastering eq? I heard there are some delay issues.

edit: just tried it, it does have some weird delay on my machine when tweaking too fast, it's very noticable.
It is a linear phase eq, so has latency. But it can be dialled right down to nothing, and it apparently doesn't affect the sound quality too much. Many people seem to use it as a track EQ as well, so it seems.

Read what people say here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/splinee ... er/reviews

VERY informative.

I would still go for the DDMF IIEQ Pro though. It's even got an All Pass Filter. :D

And grab the free Spline EQ, which you can use for mastering because it is Linear Phase. You are limited to 4 bands or something but by that point, and considering the power of this thing, you may very well find that is all you need. Then buy it later. In fact, it's so cheap, if you have the money, just buy the pair of them and then you are all set up. They would compliment each other better than any other two combinations of EQs I could think of.

One is a surgeon's tool, the other is a painter's brush. I'll let you decide which is which. :)

Thanks again guys :)

I really liked the DDMF one, but i have a weird problem with it too (i always seem to have weird problems with plugins :hihi:)

when i put it on a clap for example, i can barely see the analyzer working no matter how strong the signal is (even when the clap clipping at 0dbfs), and then only when i move a dot, i can see a burst of analyzing showing up but then it goes back to almost nothing.
It doesn't happen on a kick though, even if the kick is quieter then the clap.

:roll:

As low as possible eh?

But I can't answer your question. What do you use to equalize NOW? FL EQ I suppose? I really suggest not using anything other than your DAW's EQ if you are not so intend on spending a bit of money. Otherwise EQuick. Do not get a linear phase EQ unless you are very familiar with the concept.

Drum and master buss -- get DCAM Freecomp.

Saturation and stuff -- get Molot. For multiband, Ohmicide or Maul. Enough colour there. Redopter or other D16 stuff might be cheaper for your needs however.

You can always use a dedicated analyzer. Voxengo SPAN is always popular.

I do use PEQ2 but not liking it much when boosting, it doesn't sound so good.
The GUI is rather too small, and i feel like the visual frequency representation is not very precise.

ferez21 wrote:I do use PEQ2 but not liking it much when boosting, it doesn't sound so good.
The GUI is rather too small, and i feel like the visual frequency representation is not very precise.
I find that there are two schools of thought when it comes to EQs: first, people who think it of as bunch of filters therefore not supposed to make something sound better for no reason (me); second, people who think EQ as a musical device that can make things sound better using its character.

If you are in the first camp, you can just get EQuick and get it over with.

If you are in the second, look to PSP EQs maybe?

codec_spurt wrote: It is a linear phase eq, so has latency. But it can be dialled right down to nothing, and it apparently doesn't affect the sound quality too much. Many people seem to use it as a track EQ as well, so it seems.

Read what people say here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/splinee ... er/reviews

VERY informative.

I would still go for the DDMF IIEQ Pro though. It's even got an All Pass Filter. :D
+1 for DDMF EQIIPro - it is my absolute "GO TO" tracking EQ.

+1 for SplineEQ. It's a fantastic EQ. I use it as my exclusive piano/keyboards EQ.
Link: SplineEq Review

For the money, Klanghelm DC8C is absolutely unbeatable. It can do more types of compression tasks than most nearly any other compressor out there; regardless of price! Only 20 Euros, the thing is absolutely stellar.

SKnote's C165a compressor is amazing too. Seriously, for only $29, you'd be getting a comp plug that rivals commercially priced products costing 3 or 4 times as much.
Link: SKnote C165a Review
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Brother Charles, i read your reviews in your blog yesterday, that's how i heard about SplineEQ :) i concluded that will eventually get it for use as master eq.

I really want the DDMF eq, it's really great, but i keep having the problem with the analyzer :(

For compression i actually have delamancha's sixtyfive which is great, and i gonna keep (not worth selling), and i think i just might add the DC8C to my arsenal as well.

What do you think about Melda's free MEqualizer regarding boosting?

Return to “Effects”