Which one is better in VSL special editoins strings or brass?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which one is better in VSL special editoins strings or brass? i know try-sound but is hard test becouse latency and i cannot control it with daw which shows some things...

VSL's strings usually sound better than its brass (but I like the brass anyway.) Both libraries are very good but how "useful" they will be to you depends on what you need. Do you have any other similar libraries from other companies? It also depends on what type of music you usually compose.

I have Vienna Instruments Solo Strings and can attest to their lovely, beautiful sound. If you choose the strings special edition, then you will get a piece of Solo Strings.

synchronizer wrote:VSL's strings usually sound better than its brass (but I like the brass anyway.) Both libraries are very good but how "useful" they will be to you depends on what you need. Do you have any other similar libraries from other companies? It also depends on what type of music you usually compose.

I have Vienna Instruments Solo Strings and can attest to their lovely, beautiful sound. If you choose the strings special edition, then you will get a piece of Solo Strings.
i dont have other serious orchestral libraries. and not so serious stuff uses older vsl samples and these are Logic factory library and kontakt factory library. and i not going make (At least not yet have this kind ideas) most massive cinematic orchestral stuff but chamber ensemble size to bigger but how bigger i dont yet know i trying get slowly set which dont limit me much. and i asked thing becouse try think before i buy first thing what get second etc.

ps. and oops i forgot i have True Strike 1 for orchestral percussion. which seems clearly varmer than vsl but is not problem more choices its better when there is not too many choices.

VSL samples are very dry so making them fit with True Strike is possible.

What type of music do you make then? I chose violins because I use them most often, but if you prefer the sound of brass for your compositions then that is your preference, In the end, you have to make your decision of course.
I would recommend the strings special edition, or even, choosing one of the standard libraries so you have more articulations. I really love the solo strings, and if you're on a budget and want Violins, Violas, AND Celli and Bass, then I'd purchase chamber strings (if you like the sound), since Orchestral Strings is split in two.

You just need to figure if you'll feel stuck if you were to choose one instrument type or another. Ask yourself: "what would make me happy for the longest time? What would give me the most creative freedom?"

synchronizer wrote:VSL samples are very dry so making them fit with True Strike is possible.

What type of music do you make then? I chose violins because I use them most often, but if you prefer the sound of brass for your compositions then that is your preference, In the end, you have to make your decision of course.
I would recommend the strings special edition, or even, choosing one of the standard libraries so you have more articulations. I really love the solo strings, and if you're on a budget and want Violins, Violas, AND Celli and Bass, then I'd purchase chamber strings (if you like the sound), since Orchestral Strings is split in two.

You just need to figure if you'll feel stuck if you were to choose one instrument type or another. Ask yourself: "what would make me happy for the longest time? What would give me the most creative freedom?"

I talk their sets which have whole orchestra like Special Edition Vol. 1 standard. btw i like more strings than brass. actually i like all others more than brass.(others are pecussion,and woodwinds). but in demos brass sounds clearly vorst to my ears. btw my favorite string samples are currently Cinematic Strings 2.

It sounds as though you've made up your mind. Get the strings special edition then. Cinematic Strings is good, but VSL is drier and I prefer its sound. VSL also comes with Vienna Ensemble Pro, which you can use to host instruments outside of your DAW (and this seems to reduce the CPU strain significantly.)

synchronizer wrote:It sounds as though you've made up your mind. Get the strings special edition then. Cinematic Strings is good, but VSL is drier and I prefer its sound. VSL also comes with Vienna Ensemble Pro, which you can use to host instruments outside of your DAW (and this seems to reduce the CPU strain significantly.)
I talked special editions which give whole orchestra! but i allreadty thinked what ti add ti ut, ja VE Pro sounds useful if reduces cpu usage.

No, I mean that if you buy any instruments from Vienna, you also get a license to use the light version of VE Pro, Vienna Ensemble. It only loads Vienna plug-ins as opposed to all plug-ins.

synchronizer wrote:No, I mean that if you buy any instruments from Vienna, you also get a license to use the light version of VE Pro, Vienna Ensemble. It only loads Vienna plug-ins as opposed to all plug-ins.
Still helps. and I can later think getting VE Pro. if i found vienna instruments suitable my workflow etc. actually i dont have other choices for basic setup becouse EWQL there is no legato,and sounds too massive always and there is also play what i want avoid. even still their sample which uses play work very fine. i cannot still take risk becouse some problems are in sounds and when stuff is impossible sell.

as far as VSL percussion, there is a big distinction to make between the SE and the full. including in terms of sound.
I can't know what subjective terms, 'warm' means to another person but the thing about VSL is they don't produce the sound for you, there is no processing applied and the room they record in is not lively, they call it the silent stage. but the sound of the percussion is very present and rich, and detailed. you can add 'warmth' if you mean 'even harmonics' etc but it's problematic to remove processing.

jancivil wrote:as far as VSL percussion, there is a big distinction to make between the SE and the full. including in terms of sound.
I can't know what subjective terms, 'warm' means to another person but the thing about VSL is they don't produce the sound for you, there is no processing applied and the room they record in is not lively, they call it the silent stage. but the sound of the percussion is very present and rich, and detailed. you can add 'warmth' if you mean 'even harmonics' etc but it's problematic to remove processing.
there is also others huge differencies i think hard imagine percussion have more but i dont know and also depends taste. and at least when listened VSL percussion they sound fine. actually all sounds fine but in some other tunes is not true.

Now i own vsl library what i talked and tested little seems brass is bit poorer (mainly french horn) but less important maybe for me. but i hope i can buy someday other samplelibraries not many i think so many reasons. i want enviorment which is not over complex for me and also not overpricey becouse this not my job.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”