Logic Pro or Pro Tools ???

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Between Logic Pro and Pro Tools is there much competition ? is one more popular over the other ? yes it's debatable.
Remember! Analog ears - digital minds

For what purpose?

If you tell everyone what you want to do it might be a bit easier to point you in the right direction.

I work exclusively with MIDI, so Logic may be a good choice. I checked out screenshots of Logic, Cubase and Pro Tools to get a look/feel perspective. Cubase looks complexed, Logic not as much, but Pro Tools had a nice GUI and seemed like an easer host to work with.

Pro Tools is the standard in the recording industry; start here if you plan on working there. It's quite powerful.

Logic is excellent; it's my first choice. It is incredibly flexible and has great built-in tools, plugins, and synths. It's also a good choice if you already use Garage Band, since they're related and Logic opens GB files. There's a learning curve with Logic, but there are many good tutorials and learning resources. At $ 200 it's a great value as well.

If you make electronic music, you must trial Ableton Live. It's my choice when I'm composing; session view is brilliant. The suite has very good instruments as well.

Cubase is very powerful and is popular as well. I have not tried it for two reasons: it does not host AU plugins, which are native to Logic, and it requires a copy-protecting USB dongle to use.

Another worthy option I use occasionally is Reaper. It's not as refined as any of the above, but it is powerful.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

I began on GarageBand 3yrs ago and have worked extensively on it ever since, but now finding projects are needing more tools for the job which GB can't provide. As you say Logic can open GB files which is a handy feature. Just got Apples new iMac being an admirer of their technology, so maybe Logic is the way to go.

oh yeah, seconded, if you've used Garageband and you work a lot in MIDI, Logic will be a good fit for you, imo. :)

musicworld wrote:I work exclusively with MIDI, so Logic may be a good choice. I checked out screenshots of Logic, Cubase and Pro Tools to get a look/feel perspective. Cubase looks complexed, Logic not as much, but Pro Tools had a nice GUI and seemed like an easer host to work with.
Logic and Cubase are both excellent with midi. I like Cubase better for midi, but Logic is fantastic and can't be beaten for the price.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Pro Tools for midi ... audio editing rocks, midi, not as much.

musicworld wrote:I work exclusively with MIDI, so Logic may be a good choice. I checked out screenshots of Logic, Cubase and Pro Tools to get a look/feel perspective. Cubase looks complexed, Logic not as much, but Pro Tools had a nice GUI and seemed like an easer host to work with.
My first choice is logic for composition, it feels very powerful and intuitive to me.

Pro tools midi ain't all that bad though, it's very capable, never understood why people rag on it so much.,

If you like the pro tools concept, just download the 30 day demo and check it out.

Of course, for the price/content, and just because i love the damn software to bits, i recommend logic :)

Both are very mature and fully functional DAWs. Workflows differ quite a bit in certain respects though.

The future of both is also somewhat murky - Apple has been very tight lipped about the next version of Logic (though they have confirmed they are working on it) and AVID just booted their old CEO.

ProTools is definitely best for audio production, although they've improved midi a lot. But if midi editing is your thing, Logic is probably the best. Cubase is the fastest piano roll midi editor I've used, but the rest of the program cannot compete with Logic on OSX for speed and cpu efficiency... Logic is king there. I do everything with VIs and midi and nothing touches Logic for that. There are some things that drive me nuts, but less so than the others...

My .02 :) Logic User since well, OSX version.

DHR53 wrote:ProTools is definitely best for audio production, although they've improved midi a lot. But if midi editing is your thing, Logic is probably the best. Cubase is the fastest piano roll midi editor I've used, but the rest of the program cannot compete with Logic on OSX for speed and cpu efficiency... Logic is king there. I do everything with VIs and midi and nothing touches Logic for that. There are some things that drive me nuts, but less so than the others...

My .02 :) Logic User since well, OSX version.
I've honestly never understood the Pro tools is best for audio line.. Just personal experience.

It can only do linear automation lines, and it has slip editing which is nice granted, and it's perfectly FINE for audio but i don't get what it does better than any other DAW, honestly, but then again i also don't get what it does so much worse than others re midi.

:?

Has anyone considered Digital Performer? How is it?

I would love to know, specifically, how Pro Tools is best for audio production. Yes, I've used Pro Tools before.
You are currently reading my signature.

Thanks Anthony, i don't get it either. As said i see that blanket statement everywhere with no actual explanation.

djanthonyw wrote:I would love to know, specifically, how Pro Tools is best for audio production. Yes, I've used Pro Tools before.
I wouldn't say it's "the best" since there's really no such thing ever imo... but it certainly has it's good qualities, like grouping, automation, playlists, etc, etc, things that come in handy during audio production (tracking, producing).

Most electronic musicians don't need that stuff though... so they ignore it and bash PT because it can't run a bunch of VI's.

In that context, audio production, it's "one of the best", imo. Of course, they all have flaws.

Anyway, I find most looper type DAWs to be severely lacking in things like track grouping and even standard automation. No clue about Logic. I only owned it for about 2 months.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”