ReFX Quadrasid questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, just a few questions for the more experienced, I'm really thinking about buying Quadrasid, but I'm a little concerned about a couple of things:

1. Slow development (is this abbandonware like timewarp or sylenth?)
2. Does it come with manual? I don't like software that doesn't come with proper pdf documentation, specially when it doesn't look too simple.
3. Can the license be sold/transferred? Or considering there's no demo available, there's some kind of return policy?
4. Not a dealbreaker, but can presets can be erased? I have personal pride issues in using other people presets.

Yes I know, only 55 bucks, but still a waste of money if the development has stopped.

Thanks for your answers.

QuadraSID is still a good product.

1. As far as I know, it's still supported, but the original plans for developing a sequel in the shape of OctaSID were canned years ago.

2. Yes, there's a proper manual.

3. Return policy? Doubt it. License transfer? Not sure if ReFX still offers that service. I suggest asking them directly.

4. Yes, presets can be erased. Just create a standard empty fxb-file using e.g. minihost, and you're good to go.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

1. Looks like it is. No updates in a long long while.

2. There is a manual.

3. Dunno.

4. You have "Init preset" and "Init bank" functions when you right-click on an empty part of GUI. So yes.

Thanks for your responses!

I'm not looking for feature updates, I'm happy as long as I can still use it within Logic (and hopefully its future versions) without having to worry too much about compatibility or strange bugs.

Guess I'll give it a try tonight.

Regards,

Daniele

Such a great synth, still the most overall usable, in a song context, chip synth around IMO.. so it's a real shame to know there will never be a 64 of this or vanguard :(

Just sent a ticket to ReFX, I'll post the answer as soon as I'll get it. I do, however, trust more in your opinions, specially regarding the first question.

:wink:

Le Daniele wrote:Hi, just a few questions for the more experienced, I'm really thinking about buying Quadrasid, but I'm a little concerned about a couple of things:

1. Slow development (is this abbandonware like ... sylenth?)
He he he, Sylenth1 abandonware? :D

Numanoid wrote: He he he, Sylenth1 abandonware? :D
Well, I've tried Sylenth1 a couple of times and I do have the demo installed right now (even with the super annoying restriction) but I would personally be very worried about spending 139 eu for a synth which last update was 15nov2008 and the first thing you notice as you enter the website is a 'Happy new year 2009' sign!

Despite that (and the ugliest GUI in soft synth history) I must admit it's a good sounding synth.

I've got my answers:
"Yes, quadraSID is compatible with Logic, and can be used in Logic. quadraSID is not, however, currently being supported with updates. quadraSID is one of our retro (older) products, and no further changes will be made to it; if quadraSID turns out to be incompatible with a future version of Logic, we will not be updating quadraSID to make it compatible"
"No, you may not resell or transfer a quadraSID license. Please note that we do not offer refunds on downloadable products, so I recommend trying out the demo before purchasing, to make sure that this product is right for you, and works well with your set-up."
There actually is a demo available but I swear I couldn't find it until they sent me the links. The manual is included in the download.

Damn, it sounds nice but now I don't know if I should buy it or not. What are the chances that this will run in a future version of Logic?

im on a Mac running os-x with logic pro 9 and it works just fine

the plugin is just what its supposed to be instead of coming up with new features like other plugins

what you see is what you get and thats awesome
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:im on a Mac running os-x with logic pro 9 and it works just fine

the plugin is just what its supposed to be instead of coming up with new features like other plugins

Exactly. Whats left to do, turn it into something else? If you can still buy it, its still supported.

realmarco wrote:im on a Mac running os-x with logic pro 9 and it works just fine

Actually I like plugins as simple as possible. I don't need 20 filters, included FX, esoteric updates...I don't even need factory presets.

Only things I ask for in a plugin it's good sound, easy interface, a non idiotic preset management system, and a pdf manual so I can learn the complicated stuff. Ability to erase the (often crappy) factory presets it's most welcomed as well.

What I'm worried about, it's future compatibility with my DAW, but I guess for $55 I'll give it a try as I'm really enjoying the demo.

I'll probably get Sylenth1 too (second-hand of course), despite of the ugly (but functional) GUI.

Kriminal wrote:Exactly. Whats left to do, turn it into something else? If you can still buy it, its still supported.
As I said, I'm not looking for feature upgrades, just fixes for future compatibility issues.

And regarding support, that's not what ReFX told me, I quoted their response a few posts ago. :wink:

Sorry, missed that.

well you know, some people work in 64 bit and don't want to use crashy bit bridges, and have gui's disappearing by using said bridges. So yes that's fine if it was updated in it's precise state with 64 bit support.

Return to “Instruments”