how to create the sound of a butterfly

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi,

im workin on a little game for kids these days.
almost everything is done except of a few sound FX.

can somebody give me hints how to create the sound of a butterfly.
i once heard something recording paper and pitching it - but im not very satisfied with the results.

so can anyone help?

meanwhile i try to give a rhino, an antilope and a hippo a sound :)

thx! unfortunatelly not there.
but i wanted to create it myself anyway. so what id like to know is how to create the sound of the wings

simsung wrote:thx! unfortunatelly not there.
but i wanted to create it myself anyway. so what id like to know is how to create the sound of the wings
Well, flapping something like a wing, recording it, eq, compressing etc.
Or, you can use some of the commercial sound libraries, e.g. I've
used Soundsnap, there are some wings flappings which may suit for you,
if you edit and eq them a bit, (listen e.g. wings flapping #2).
http://www.soundsnap.com/search/audio/w ... ping/score
harry

For a synthesis solution, start with white noise, and select an LFO set to modulate amplitude (volume). A sine wave will probably give you the smoothest wing sound, but try square, triangle and saw waves too. Set it at nearly 100%, so the noise fades in and out in time with the rate control.

Then turn the rate control up until it matches the speed of the animation in the game. Add a slight attack time, and a fairly short release time, and you should be able to "play" the take offs and landings.

If you can assign the rate of the LFO to your mod wheel or other controller, you can change wings speeds to picture in real time.

For a lighter sound, try using a high pass filter. For a more cartoony wing flap, try the technique above with a filter cutoff in tandem with the amp LFO. Turn up the resonance and tune the filter to taste.

Good Luck!

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

VERY Cool!!! thanks for your quick help!!

Xenobt wrote:For a synthesis solution, start with white noise, and select an LFO set to modulate amplitude (volume). A sine wave will probably give you the smoothest wing sound, but try square, triangle and saw waves too. Set it at nearly 100%, so the noise fades in and out in time with the rate control.

Then turn the rate control up until it matches the speed of the animation in the game. Add a slight attack time, and a fairly short release time, and you should be able to "play" the take offs and landings.

If you can assign the rate of the LFO to your mod wheel or other controller, you can change wings speeds to picture in real time.

For a lighter sound, try using a high pass filter. For a more cartoony wing flap, try the technique above with a filter cutoff in tandem with the amp LFO. Turn up the resonance and tune the filter to taste.

Good Luck!

Wow! You know your stuff. :love:

noise > bandpass filters with graphic envelopes
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

kelvyn wrote:
Xenobt wrote:For a synthesis solution, start with white noise, and select an LFO set to modulate amplitude (volume). A sine wave will probably give you the smoothest wing sound, but try square, triangle and saw waves too. Set it at nearly 100%, so the noise fades in and out in time with the rate control.

Good Luck!

Wow! You know your stuff. :love:
Thank you, friend! I've been programming synths since the mid 70's, when you made everything from scratch, every time, so that helped a lot. And I've done my share of sound design for computer animation and games, where real isn't what's really needed. Audible butterfly wings fit that category perfectly! :lol:

Plus, I love a good sound design challenge!

Return to “Sound Design”