What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

how to create the sound of a butterfly

How to make that sound...

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

simsung
KVRer
 
3 posts since 21 Feb, 2013, from germany

Postby simsung; Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 am how to create the sound of a butterfly

hi,

im workin on a little game for kids these days.
almost everything is done except of a few sound FX.

can somebody give me hints how to create the sound of a butterfly.
i once heard something recording paper and pitching it - but im not very satisfied with the results.

so can anyone help?

meanwhile i try to give a rhino, an antilope and a hippo a sound :)
Signature blocked until 5 posts made
tongsong
KVRist
 
292 posts since 12 May, 2005

Postby tongsong; Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 am

simsung
KVRer
 
3 posts since 21 Feb, 2013, from germany

Postby simsung; Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 am

thx! unfortunatelly not there.
but i wanted to create it myself anyway. so what id like to know is how to create the sound of the wings
Signature blocked until 5 posts made
Harry_HH
KVRian
 
842 posts since 4 Aug, 2006, from Helsinki

Postby Harry_HH; Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 am

simsung wrote:thx! unfortunatelly not there.
but i wanted to create it myself anyway. so what id like to know is how to create the sound of the wings


Well, flapping something like a wing, recording it, eq, compressing etc.
Or, you can use some of the commercial sound libraries, e.g. I've
used Soundsnap, there are some wings flappings which may suit for you,
if you edit and eq them a bit, (listen e.g. wings flapping #2).
http://www.soundsnap.com/search/audio/w ... ping/score
harry
Xenobt
KVRian
 
924 posts since 13 May, 2010, from Atlanta, GA

Postby Xenobt; Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:52 am

For a synthesis solution, start with white noise, and select an LFO set to modulate amplitude (volume). A sine wave will probably give you the smoothest wing sound, but try square, triangle and saw waves too. Set it at nearly 100%, so the noise fades in and out in time with the rate control.

Then turn the rate control up until it matches the speed of the animation in the game. Add a slight attack time, and a fairly short release time, and you should be able to "play" the take offs and landings.

If you can assign the rate of the LFO to your mod wheel or other controller, you can change wings speeds to picture in real time.

For a lighter sound, try using a high pass filter. For a more cartoony wing flap, try the technique above with a filter cutoff in tandem with the amp LFO. Turn up the resonance and tune the filter to taste.

Good Luck!

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt
simsung
KVRer
 
3 posts since 21 Feb, 2013, from germany

Postby simsung; Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:35 am

VERY Cool!!! thanks for your quick help!!
Signature blocked until 5 posts made
kelvyn
KVRian
 
763 posts since 9 Mar, 2008, from netherlands

Postby kelvyn; Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:09 am

Xenobt wrote:For a synthesis solution, start with white noise, and select an LFO set to modulate amplitude (volume). A sine wave will probably give you the smoothest wing sound, but try square, triangle and saw waves too. Set it at nearly 100%, so the noise fades in and out in time with the rate control.

Then turn the rate control up until it matches the speed of the animation in the game. Add a slight attack time, and a fairly short release time, and you should be able to "play" the take offs and landings.

If you can assign the rate of the LFO to your mod wheel or other controller, you can change wings speeds to picture in real time.

For a lighter sound, try using a high pass filter. For a more cartoony wing flap, try the technique above with a filter cutoff in tandem with the amp LFO. Turn up the resonance and tune the filter to taste.

Good Luck!

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt


Wow! You know your stuff. :love:
xoxos
Mr Entertainment
 
10579 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:35 am

noise > bandpass filters with graphic envelopes
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
Xenobt
KVRian
 
924 posts since 13 May, 2010, from Atlanta, GA

Postby Xenobt; Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:03 am

kelvyn wrote:
Xenobt wrote:For a synthesis solution, start with white noise, and select an LFO set to modulate amplitude (volume). A sine wave will probably give you the smoothest wing sound, but try square, triangle and saw waves too. Set it at nearly 100%, so the noise fades in and out in time with the rate control.

Then turn the rate control up until it matches the speed of the animation in the game. Add a slight attack time, and a fairly short release time, and you should be able to "play" the take offs and landings.

If you can assign the rate of the LFO to your mod wheel or other controller, you can change wings speeds to picture in real time.

For a lighter sound, try using a high pass filter. For a more cartoony wing flap, try the technique above with a filter cutoff in tandem with the amp LFO. Turn up the resonance and tune the filter to taste.

Good Luck!

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt


Wow! You know your stuff. :love:


Thank you, friend! I've been programming synths since the mid 70's, when you made everything from scratch, every time, so that helped a lot. And I've done my share of sound design for computer animation and games, where real isn't what's really needed. Audible butterfly wings fit that category perfectly! :lol:

Plus, I love a good sound design challenge!

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Sound Design