Best studio monitor for me?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im building up my home studio and im in dilemma.My room is 4.5 x 3.4 so 5" woofer is fine for me i think i also have Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro for low end.This will my first studio monitors and i decide to buy decent monitors for about 600euros.
I produce progressive-house/chill out.
So which of the below monitors is best for me?(i cant test them cause none locale shop have them)!

Equator D5 444euro pair
Focal CMS 40 640euro pair
Adam A5x 660euro pair
Something else in same price range?
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!

Yamaha HS50m.

Cimbasso wrote:Yamaha HS50m.
Can u explain why this? i have read reviews about them and whas been my option in lower budget but i have decide to give something more to buy something better.They are half price.Have u worked with other monitors too?

I have (Adam, M-Audio). And it's just a matter of personal preference. Translation is the most important thing for me. Generally, after checking on the other speakers and my DT 880 Pros, my mixes in most cases don't require any fixing if they sound good on HS50m-s. Also, they force you to work harder on your mixes (one of the reasons many people tended to use NS10s). But if you're going to feel more confident with more expensive speakers, they buy them.

Buy some Tannoy 601A's and build yourself some basic room treatment with the change (google rockwool basstraps and panels).

That will be infinitely better and your mixes will translate well. The Tannoys are truly excellent.

I'm using some now in a totally untreated space and the mixes translate well.

Constantine_K wrote: Equator D5 444euro pair
Focal CMS 40 640euro pair
Adam A5x 660euro pair
Something else in same price range?
To be frank, no one else can know which are the best monitors for you except you. :wink: As stated above, it's all about personal preferences. Some like the sound of Genelecs, some prefer Dynaudio or others over them. You can't really go that wrong with the Focals or Adams. Haven't heard the Equator D5's, but they've done good in recent reviews. If you can't have a listen at your local shop, go to another city where you can, or ask your local Ye Olde Monitor Shoppe to order some in. If these aren't a possibility, just read enough articles, user reviews and try to find a mean on each one.

I haven't heard the Yamaha HS50M's, but have read much good about them. We previously had a pair of HS80's, and got really good mixes done with them. But, out of your options, I'd recommend the Adams over the three. I have heard both A5x's and A7x's, and have heard nothing but good from other people using Adam monitors, even the smallest A3x's. Having said that, always good to keep acoustic treatment in mind (and in your budget), too.

If you want to check something else in the same price range as the Adams, don't forget EVE Audio. EVE SC204's or SC205's might be an interesting option.

i think that big variation of pioneers can be good.. they look pretty:) 600e..
trust analog.... (owner of digital)

Definitely try some if you can, even better get some in your room on trial so you can test them in your setup. It's true about the hs80s, good translation but then i use Arc.

The Focals are more accurate and less fatiguing so great nearfields! They have superb mids but if you plan to add the sub later i read that the 40s struggle to keep up with it. Very neutral monitors though with great stereo imaging but maybe too small for mixing EDM.

I know some prefer the Adams so it really is a personal thing, it will pay off in the long run if you can try them out before buying imo.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

The thing is that i cant try or hear any of them.all shops are ordering online they dont have them in the shop.So my only option to pick one is from reviews and comments guys i dont have other choice.

Well in your shoes based on everything i've read i'd buy the D5s. Came across this review yesterday. There's also a review of the CMS40s, he makes a good point about the size; you'd want them pretty close to your ears.

Why not have a word with the store your buying from, explain your situation. They should want to help you find the right monitors but sometimes they'll only let you try if you're spending so much. Never hurts to ask. ;)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

How tall is your ceiling?
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

schnapsglas wrote:How tall is your ceiling?
My room dimensions are:
4.5lenght x 3.2width x 2.75height

tehlord wrote:Buy some Tannoy 601A's and build yourself some basic room treatment with the change (google rockwool basstraps and panels).

That will be infinitely better and your mixes will translate well. The Tannoys are truly excellent.

I'm using some now in a totally untreated space and the mixes translate well.
+1
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

I have been looking at the same monitor choices lately, and I have almost decided on Yamaha msp7's. Now I need to find a retailer to demo them :)

Constantine_K wrote:
schnapsglas wrote:How tall is your ceiling?
My room dimensions are:
4.5lenght x 3.2width x 2.75height

It's not the most ideal dimension you've got there. My preference is, (I don't do it myself, but...) forget about anything larger than 6", try to find good placement and get a sub if you really want something at the bottom.

600 Euros is good for so many decent speakers. You could do HS50m, maybe EXO2, LSR2325P with the sub... I would however hold on to the money for sub and really try to get bass frequencies tamed without sub and then bring a sub in.
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”