No more De La Mancha!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am OCD standalone, every part of my wardrobe smells like fresh summer.

That's one thing you CAN know about an OCD, there stuff is ALWAYS clean and washed :lol:

TheoM wrote:I am OCD standalone, every part of my wardrobe smells like fresh summer.
Yeah, I live in the Antipodes of you but I'm sure I would have noticed after 22 years...

My clothes get washed regardless, on a cycle, always. Um, as OT as anything? My wardrobe smells beautiful, as said. Fresh as a daisy.

I guess I forgot to add a couple of smilies in my posts. :hihi:

:hihi:

only at KVR could a topic like this somehow veer into my wardrobe :hihi:

de la Mancha wrote: As for the lack of future download links, Theo you're making a bigger deal out of this than needed (Thanks Captain Consumer Crusader!)
No-one has been ripped off, or not given what they paid for. You can put your underwear back under your trousers and take that cape off Theo
With that name, it's no surprise you provoke quixotic reactions. :lol:

------------------

Definition of QUIXOTIC. 1: foolishly impractical especially in the pursuit of ideals; especially: marked by rash lofty romantic ideas or extravagantly chivalrous behaviour.

de la Mancha wrote:Thanks for all the kind words and wishes :hug:

As for the lack of future download links, Theo you're making a bigger deal out of this than needed (Thanks Captain Consumer Crusader!)

- Everyone who bought a plugin received it
- Everyone in the past who needed a new link got one
- All plugins will continue to work for an unlimited time

No-one has been ripped off, or not given what they paid for. You can put your underwear back under your trousers and take that cape off Theo

I'm sorry that some customers feel let down that I cannot provide you a personal backup service for all historic purchases.

Of course I will try to help out where it is reasonably possible, like I did with Ghostwave. What I can't promise anyone (and never did) is that all your purchases can be downloaded again in the future.

I highly recommend everyone who bought a plugin from me to make a back-up copy of the installer. Like you would for plugins from any developer.
Right. So I assume you won't mind if KVR customers help each other out with missing installers?

That's sad... I was thinking about buying DLM stuff at your last sale, but I didn't have enough money... Now they're gone and away...

Maybe this kind of good-bye-approach is unique in the plugin world, it's not the first developer who quits.

Every other artist or author or musician or painter or sculptor, would be proud of his/her work and would be happy to make it public. Why developing for many years, if not decades, just to say good buy because of some - soluble - technical problems? :?:

bduffy wrote:
de la Mancha wrote: I highly recommend everyone who bought a plugin from me to make a back-up copy of the installer. Like you would for plugins from any developer.
Right. So I assume you won't mind if KVR customers help each other out with missing installers?
I don't think his plugins come as installers (just zipped dll's I think). And besides, the plugins don't have any copy protection afaik, so.. I guess that will not be allowed
Last edited by Nielzie on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nielzie wrote:
bduffy wrote:
de la Mancha wrote: I highly recommend everyone who bought a plugin from me to make a back-up copy of the installer. Like you would for plugins from any developer.
I don't think his plugins come as installers. And besides, the plugins don't have any copy protection afaik, so.. I guess that will not be allowed
its allowed if dlM say it is.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Nielzie wrote:
bduffy wrote:
I don't think his plugins come as installers. And besides, the plugins don't have any copy protection afaik, so.. I guess that will not be allowed
Then he might as well release the payware as freeware, if you know what I mean

Nielzie wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Nielzie wrote:
bduffy wrote:
Then he might as well release the payware as freeware, if you know what I mean
Yeah of course.
But that's his call.
And as far as I can tell he can do it because of the IT issues.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

de la Mancha wrote:Woah, many thanks for your kind words and thoughts, it makes it even harder to quit and sorry I couldn't give more notice.

I wanted to write a thread to explain, and had to rush a change to my website today, then you guys beat me to it to post on KVR. Anyway, here goes...

The reason it is so sudden is that beyond my control and abilities, the webshop software and database has been corrupted and is no longer functioning. Despite my best efforts to repair, despite I had backups and took precautions, it is utterly dead. I won't bore you with the details, but the complex relationship (for me anyway) between php programming, sql databases, ad-hoc patches and customisations, complicated upgrade procedures and security issues have conspired to totally f**k up the webshop.

So losing that I have lost access to the backend software and the database and it means you can't access your accounts and download links, or make any purchases.

I apologise for the inconvenience, but it means I really can't send you new download links or sell plugins :(

So, that's the technical reason. There's also a personal side to it too. Nothing bad, just typical real life stuff taking 110% of my time and no spare minutes to dedicate to plugins. The last plugins I developed was back in 2011 and I didn't even have time to enter the KVR Dev Challenge, as much as I would have loved to. So with this technical hurdle getting in the way, I don't have time or energy to work around it or start again. Sorry.

I don't care that SynthEdit has limitations, nor that pirates distribute my software (lol, they had to buy it first though) or that working in a supermarket would pay more per hour than selling plugins. Those reasons wouldn't stop me, it was always about the challenge, the inspiration, the collaboration and making twisted noises.

I want to thank all of you for making the music tech community as vibrant and inspiring as it is. KVR got me started in using plugins and making music and I never would have made plugins if it wasnt for the help here. There's so many people to thank personally that I couldn't begin to list them all here, but there is a special thank you to say to Sink, an awesome collaborator and friend-for-life to whom I owe a lot of gratitude for helping make dlM plugins what they are. Merci mon ami! There's loads of you I'd like to thank but if I start a list I'll inevitably forget someone.

I'm not completely disapearing, the website remains and the freeware is still downloadable. Anything you bought from me will continue to work for as long as computers and hosts will run them.

Your kind words and warm wishes are very touching and validate for me that it was all worth doing, an unforgettable life experience and I'm proud to have been a little part of it.

Keep making noises, music and trouble

Steve

Hey Steve,

I just heard. APZX linked to this post on the FLipside. Oh man, it just won't be the same without dlM plugins. You were the innovator. Unstable is still one of my all time favorite plugins. But I also loved all your crazy, randomizing probability doohickeys... not to mention the preset names :hihi:

You know, we miss the big guy at the FLipside. Your name comes up quite often. Come and say hi when you get a chance.

In the meantime, I wish you the very best. Take care, amigo ;)

Mark

So what happened to basic64? I have heard it was quite the vst...

arkmabat wrote:So what happened to basic64? I have heard it was quite the vst...
After Basic65 got released, Basic 64 was bundled with it. It was the only way to get 64 at that point and was no longer freeware...

Good luck DLM! 8)

I'm happy to use your stuff as long as possible...you made 2 or 3 of my favourite effects.

Return to “Effects”