Cubase or not Cubase?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there - this is my first post via this forum so apologies if this has previously been raised.

I've been using a Windows XP laptop running Cubase SX 2.0 since 2003. I'm in the process of sourcing a new Windows 7 64-bit laptop so that it can obtain more RAM to cater for the higher demands of today's software and plugins.

I'd love to continue running my Cubase SX DAW on the new operating system, but have received feedback that it can be problematic, inconsistent, and will not use the full increased RAM capabilities of a higher spec machine, especially a 64-bit model.

Would any of you agree with the above comments? If not, then great, I've just saved myself a fortune for not having to purchase a new DAW. If you do? Well...

Essentially I'd like to continue with the Cubase range as I'm extremely familiar with it. I'm struggling to find a version/pricing for anything that isn't Cubase 7 at present, which is well out of my budget.

I basically need the oldest/least expensive version that can run successfully via Windows 7. Any advice? In an ideal scenario I'd like as little financial impact to my pocket as possible!

If this isn't possible, does anyone have any other DAW recommendations? I'm also having to buy a new audio interface, as my EMU 1616M Cardbus/Dock is an end of life product. Therefore I hope you can understand my dilemma as I'm already having to source a laptop and new AI.

Any advice or feedback would be invaluable to me at this current time.

I ran Cubase 4 on W7, and it'll give you a good upgrade path when you want to move up to Cubase 7-8 etc.

You'll probably find a used copy here if you place a wanted ad in the marketplace.

nutmeg wrote:have received feedback that it can be problematic, inconsistent, and will not use the full increased RAM capabilities of a higher spec machine, especially a 64-bit model.
I can say without hesitation that v6 crashes on my win7 64bit 8g ram almost every time I get near 60% ram usage. I do not know for sure if it will or will not access full ram as M$ has designed.

nutmeg wrote:If this isn't possible, does anyone have any other DAW recommendations? I'm also having to buy a new audio interface, as my EMU 1616M Cardbus/Dock is an end of life product. Therefore I hope you can understand my dilemma as I'm already having to source a laptop and new AI.

Any advice or feedback would be invaluable to me at this current time.
I recommend demos of those DAWs you may be considering. I plan to demo Studio One for the reasons of crashing. It seems to have a good reputation going. While I'm intereseted in the full fledged version, the Artist version is reasonable.

Tracktion has also re-hit the market, has a good reputation and I think sells for a mere $59.

Good luck in your quest.

Happy musiking!
dsan

nutmeg wrote:I'm also having to buy a new audio interface, as my EMU 1616M Cardbus/Dock is an end of life product.
If you already own the EMU 1616M Dock, you can upgrade it with the EMU 1010 or 1212m PCI-E card.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Well... first thing to do is to try out if Cubase SX 2 doesn't work at all or if it works, and then if it is stable or not. In the best scenario, it won't take advantage of the modern architecture(that's for sure) but you could keep on working with it and you could delay the purchase of a newer version.

I agree that it could be problematic, but I suggest you to try it yourself for a few days to see if it so or not.

dsan@mail.com wrote:
I can say without hesitation that v6 crashes on my win7 64bit 8g ram almost every time I get near 60% ram usage. I do not know for sure if it will or will not access full ram as M$ has designed.

Cubase 6.5 works fine on my W7-64 machine with 8GB RAM

Cubase 6.5.4, every project around 12-16 GB, W7 64-bit, absolutely never crashes here.

I'll say get Win8 64-bit and Cubase 7 64-bit. No need to upgrade for a while. Work's here with no problems.

tehlord wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:

Cubase 6.5 works fine on my W7-64 machine with 8GB RAM
This is good to hear. So any idea why mine crashes?

The other day I tried loading 2 instances of Ultra Analog and crash. Previous to that dragging a midi file in crashed it. Other instances of crashing but cannot remember why.

How much ram are you filling to remain stable? Like I said, I get up around 60% of my 8g and it's good nite irene.

I'm thinking it is because I am trying to exceed the amount of ram cubase is willing to access and until this thread did not know that it will not access the full available ram according to microsoft specs.

But, please, if you have some ideas I can look into I am most interested in hearing.

Thanks!

Happy musiking!
dsan

EDIT: It occured to me you are on 6.5 - I'm using 6, didn't do the .5 upgrade. Maybe they fixed these issues with that upgrade, don't know, but can't get it now anyway and the crashes have left me less than exuberant to go for 7.

Wow! With regards to number of responses and feedback time, KVR has definitely come out on tops on the forum charts. Cheers guys.

I will of course try SX 2 on a new OSX, but I think I finally have to move on/upgrade/try an alternative. This issue will inevitably arise again when there's Windows V2020 with see-through screens and holograms.

I was advised to try Reaper today, which I've heard a little about but never fully investigated. Tbh I never had the need until recently. I've just downloaded a 60-day trial to try with XP, and if I'm happy with it I'll purchase a license (which is definitely within my budget) when I get a new laptop. Has anyone used it with Windows 7 or 8 - both 64-bit? What have your experiences been like?

Windows 7 or 8? That's another question. I've had a play around on Windows 8 recently and I find it a bit frustrating. Admittedly I'm an XP devotee, but I use Windows 7 all day at work and get along with it great. I think Windows 7 will be less problematic and easier to resolve any issues as opposed to 8, especially in reference to using it to support music production.

I'm looking at the M-Audio Fast Track C600 audio interface. It's got everything I need for a reasonable price. The majority of reviews I've read are extremely positive too.

RexXx - I know you advised to upgrade my 1616M, but the PCMCIA Cardbus will be useless and the drivers for the latest operating systems are not available. I doubt I couldn't even sell it on ebay nowadays - and it cost £350 back in 2004.

Thanks again everyone. This is invaluable guidance.

Wait for the Cubase 7 demo - it should be coming out in the next few weeks.

nutmeg wrote: I was advised to try Reaper today, which I've heard a little about but never fully investigated. Tbh I never had the need until recently. I've just downloaded a 60-day trial to try with XP, and if I'm happy with it I'll purchase a license (which is definitely within my budget) when I get a new laptop. Has anyone used it with Windows 7 or 8 - both 64-bit? What have your experiences been like?
I have tried it on my W7 64 bit machine and didn't have any problems relating to OS or crashing (as I recall) but I quickly gave up on trying to get it set up and having to wade through too many menus to get where I needed to go.

But to be fair it has a huge fan base. I certainly recommend demoing when you have the opportunity.

For the most part W7 is a smooth ride. Don't know enough about 8 yet to draw an opinion but I have had to part with XP (reluctantly).

Happy musiking!
dsan

dsan@mail.com wrote: I have tried it on my W7 64 bit machine and didn't have any problems relating to OS or crashing (as I recall) but I quickly gave up on trying to get it set up and having to wade through too many menus to get where I needed to go.

But to be fair it has a huge fan base. I certainly recommend demoing when you have the opportunity.
I've had a quick play with Reaper today (literally 10mins) and it was extremely easy to get it set up and connected to my current AI. It's going to me take a little while to fully master this, but the 400 page pdf manual they provide is excellent.

I suppose after using Cubase SX exclusively for the last 10 years, any new DAW is going to take me a little time to get used to. I already like the layout of Reaper so fingers crossed I've found a winner here.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”