Flyte - Through The Blue

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The original theme came from the NES "Spy Vs Spy" game. I loved the theme so much I wanted to take it and make it my own.
What is even more beautiful - I think - about that theme is how well is was written. the NES could only support up to 3 sounds - that includes sound effects and "instruments". It was well written and I was happy I could take it and give it a whole new styling to it.

My song uses a lot of live instruments, and not very many synthesized instruments, so I don't know what to call it. It seems chill, so I suppose Chillout Electronica? I don't know. Take it for what it is and I hope you enjoy it.
http://soundcloud.com/ntommusic/through-the-blue

Original song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8f2cTu2cj4

__
As an added bonus, I came up with this cool little phrase I wrote. I would love some input on it as far as writing goes.
http://soundcloud.com/ntommusic/trackdemo-help-please

I almost figured this track would have been right up the alley of some of the people here on KVR, come on.

ntom wrote:I almost figured this track would have been right up the alley of some of the people here on KVR, come on.
There's just too much stuff going on, and not enough time (the high-drama threads are eating into the MusicCafe).

That said - right up my alley! I'm still a fan of chiptune, and love hearing it "re-imagined". Great job. Out of curiosity, did you mean "live instruments" as in you recorded them live, or they were sampled "live instruments"?

The "bonus" sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure what advice you'd be looking for. But I guess for starters (and just my opinion), with that type of repeated arp, I always like to hear the chords move around it in surprising directions - like a pad at the root that suddenly raises a whole step, etc. The bass notes fit will without being cliche'd. In any case - good luck with it!

Thanks for the feedback. And I guess I mean acoustic instruments. Because I can't play anything...well not any more I play anything. So, they were sampled instruments.

The little bonus track thing actually is 3 different instruments playing the same notes, but in different rhythms. Like I have a celeste and the synthesized vibraphone (that saturates and desaturates). The celeste plays 2 16ths, 1 eighth note, 2 16th notes, 1 eighth notes while the vibraphone plays 2 eighth notes, 2 16th notes 1 eighth note.

I tried different chords for that pattern but to me it kind of destroyed the feel of it. That's when I decided to have the chordal movement outside of the arpeggio phase. - by the way, it's cool havign the song start out with just 1 instrument, put in the next, and the next, and watching that arpeggio build with the complimentary rhythms.

I think "Through the Blue" has a lot of potential but the balance between instruments in the mix is off and everything is smothered in too much reverb. It could also be several minutes shorter. I suggest working on a new mix.

It reminds me a bit of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIcmIhOesaI

FrantzM wrote:I think "Through the Blue" has a lot of potential but the balance between instruments in the mix is off and everything is smothered in too much reverb.
I'm still kind of getting used to my studio monitors. I haven't had them long and this is the first REAL mix I did on them. I'll have to listen to it on other sources that I am familiar with.

A very lush sound stage. I like the mix. It's got a certain free-form quality (don't ask me what it means though) that I like. It's lose and free flowing, almost as if listening to a live band standing outside the concert hall. But it works for me. It sets a 'mood'.

The drum roll build up and break are superb! Very well done. There are a few notes clashing and it creates some uncomfortable feel later in the mix when it gets busy.

A very enjoyable track. (note: I didn't listen to the original).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

It's quite good on it's own, I like it.
The mix maybe a bit too wet, some instruments lose strenght, but then again it can be what you were going for.
I guess the reverb makes it a bit cinematic, dramatic. The variaton in the drums help with the tension.

I agree the track is a bit too long and loses focus, but all in all very good one.

Good job!

Edit: The bonus track is quite interesting, I'm nuts for arps :) If you come up with another part, you're half-way to another masterpiece!

I really enjoyed it! I agree with what Mariosprt says. Loved the climax at the end with the drums building up! Nice how you made a chillout track out of a video game soundtrack. :D

I appreciate all the kind and warm feedback :)
Thank you guys very much.

Dude this is really cool! I have that Spy vs. Spy NES game around here somewhere (I collect old video games) and as soon as I heard the theme come in, it took me back. I like the arrangement a lot.

Very chill, I dig the sounds. The piano sounds a bit muddy in the low-mids but it's not a big deal. It also sounds like low frequencies are eating a lot of your headroom. This causes a lot of the high end details to get lost. For example the strings at the end. If you plan on re-visiting this peice, I'd suggest putting a frequency analyzer on the master bus and trying to balance the low end frequencies fof the drums and piano with the other sounds. Forgive my unsolicited criticism. :oops:

Thanks for sharing. :)

justin3am wrote:Dude this is really cool! I have that Spy vs. Spy NES game around here somewhere (I collect old video games) and as soon as I heard the theme come in, it took me back. I like the arrangement a lot.

Very chill, I dig the sounds. The piano sounds a bit muddy in the low-mids but it's not a big deal. It also sounds like low frequencies are eating a lot of your headroom. This causes a lot of the high end details to get lost. For example the strings at the end. If you plan on re-visiting this peice, I'd suggest putting a frequency analyzer on the master bus and trying to balance the low end frequencies fof the drums and piano with the other sounds. Forgive my unsolicited criticism. :oops:

Thanks for sharing. :)
Well my room already not being the absolute best place to mix, coupled with the fact that I am still adjusting to these new monitors (as opposed to a set of speakers with a sub) has been difficult. The first what-I-thought was going to be the master mix had a way overcompensated bass. I then turned it down and lowered the bass end quite dramatically and monitored it on familiar speakers and I guess still the job wasn't done. I'm still get used to my monitors, though, so that is what I am going to blame.

Thank you for the feedback though, it was welcomed.

Return to “Music Cafe”