Which vst based guitar amp sims should I check out?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

leggie wrote:
beau921 wrote:
It was deemed too difficult and/or troublesome to install.
Nope, i said don't want to install crap on my computer..

Look if you really have an issue with what i said let's have it out on PM and stop clogging this thread with crap. but i will only tell you go f**k yourself :D

IK is 95% marketing machine IMO and your sounding like you work for them, fine i don't have to buy their stuff and i don't....

:D

Ahhhhhhh...such class and decorum. Overwhelming.

I work for IK Multimedia?

Wow...how did you guess?

They are really going to be cheesed when they find out, since all this time they thought I was simply a satisfied customer who recommended their software products based upon my own positive experience.

It couldn't be that when someone asks what amp software they should try, I recommend Amplitube 3 because I've used it and see where it's strengths lie.

In that experience I commented that any perceived negatives are far outweighed by said strengths, and that it's certainly worth the authorization process.

Nope.

I must work for the company.

@EvilDragon:

Remember when Amplitube 3 was launched, the colorful ad that said "King Of Tone?"

All the angry debates over, comparisons to, and chatter about it, past, and to come, only serve to prove it was then, and still is the standard as the "King Of Tone."

And, if anyone wants to continue debating, feel free to debate yourself, as I've said what I said, meant it, and that's that.

If anyone else hasn't tried Amplitube 3 Free, do so and come to your own conclusions without making a decision based upon alarmist ideas about the install process. In the end you won't play the install process, you'll play the amp software it provides you.

Oh, and in closing, I'm also the Cadbury Easter Bunny. But, jeez, try to keep that quiet until after the holiday passes.

The Telenator wrote: I don't mind anybody posting their opinions. I just posted mine. But when it starts to sound like a hard sales job all of a sudden, then it really looks cheap. Can't afford a display advert? How about make the amps sound better, then they'll sell themselves? That's how some of these small, independent makers are slaying the couple Goliath companies out there.
That's what bothers me. People using eyes instead of their ears. I mean, are you working with sound or feasting your eyes?? Probably many of the musicians here had to be painters or designers instead. :hihi: People also tend to think that anything that costs big sum of money must be better. The costlier the better. Well, I don't think that philosophy translates into the computer world. At least to a degree.

Anyway, leaving the hobbyists with full pockets and great sense for colours and design out of the picture, I'm very bothered that these "goliath companies" picked up on the teachings of great Microsoft: slap a new GUI on it and call it v3. :hihi: Nobody cares about the same old buggy or obsolete code inside it for as long as the colours look nice and you see some animated shit just like in the movies. Adult people often act like little children when they see nice buttons, colours, and animations. It's sick. :lol: And not at all professional. Real computers and OSes don't do animation [ http://www.pclinuxos.com/ ] :) and neither should real plugins. It's all about programming good DSP code that sounds proper. It's really nothing to do with a plugin looking like hardware. Also, people who will listen to your shit will not see the plugins you worked with, they'll be listening to how it sounds, so you should better pay attention to how it sounds instead of looking at the GUI.

Just my opinion of course. If you still think a plugin with a nicer looking GUI sounds better who am I to convince you otherwise. :hihi: Leave a tree be a tree. However, I must admit I can talk through my arse due to excessive consumption of vegan food. :D

Oh sorry, the point: Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Nomad Factory, then Overloud, and Softube to a degree. All BS with nice GUIs. And they all cost nice amount of beers, and nights out. :roll:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Wow, I went from liking where this thread was going to wanting to gouge my eyes out :lol:

I'm so ashamed!

hibidy wrote:Wow, I went from liking where this thread was going to wanting to gouge my eyes out :lol:

I'm so ashamed!
Don't do that, or else your days of enjoying fancy and expensive GUI will be over forever.

DuX wrote: That's what bothers me. People using eyes instead of their ears. I mean, are you working with sound or feasting your eyes?? Probably many of the musicians here had to be painters or designers instead. :hihi: People also tend to think that anything that costs big sum of money must be better. The costlier the better. Well, I don't think that philosophy translates into the computer world. At least to a degree.

Oh sorry, the point: Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Nomad Factory, then Overloud, and Softube to a degree. All BS with nice GUIs. And they all cost nice amount of beers, and nights out. :roll:
:clap:

It's funny how the human brain works...

If it looks like a pig,it must be a pig...

Unfortunately,a great deal of the plugins I have tried with the beautiful GUIs sound like pigs...

'Spensive too...

When I went to school,we were taught to listen :wink:

FWIW : I like to use ReValver and Scuffham...

ReValver is great because you can plug your favourite VSTS into the rack and really get it happening..So in there goes TSE,Ignite,RedWirez mixIR2 and my favourite Comps,EQs and FX...Valhalla Room,UberMod,Focusrite Midnight Suite, Toneboosters,Trackplug and Mix Control Pro etc...

Brilliant...And it makes Guitar Rig sound like Guitar Pig :wink:

EDIT : I actually do use a few Nomad Factory VSTs and I find that they are quick to grab a sound and the quality is OK...I have the whole bundle,but now the Toneboosters plugins have replaced them to a large degree...
Last edited by digitalboytn on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

I have no need for "all-in-one" plugins in my DAW. I understand that they are cool if you are jamming with pod etc. but with DAW comes great freedom. You can use whatever OD or modulator plugin you wish, before or after the amp. And if you want to use them between amp and cab, just use one amp sim with cab off, put some FX after it and then use a cab sim. On top of that there's routing to AUX buss etc, that is true freedom. I see no merit in program that has it all in it. Yep, it might look fancy to have some virtual "pedal board" but I'm pretty sure you won't find as good OD as TSE's 808 from those, for example.

The graphics are just that, graphics. No logo has a sound. Images of valves won't make you warm either. Remember that if amp manufacturers really thought that sims are equal to their products they probably wouldn't be so keen on sponsoring them. As it is, those sims work as adverts for their real products. No bedroom recordist is going to buy some big boutique tube amp anyway. So saying that logo on plugin means it has to sound good isn't really so. If anything, it would suit better for amp manufacturers if those sims do indeed sound inferior to the real thing. Last part is just thinking out loud, I'm not suggesting any conspiracy ;)

I categorize ampsims I own into 2 groups:

1. authentic, puristic:

- S-Gear (no. 1 without doubt)
- Revalver (i like it also because it models Peavey amps, you can't find elsewhere)

2. feature loaded all inclusive POD like ampsims

- TH2 (like it also for Brunneti, THD and Randall emulations)
- Guitar Rig

I use them where they fit the best, depending on material, but i must confess i've used S-Gear for the major part of my latest work.

Sometimes I use my Amplitube Fender, Hendrix, Metal and Ampeg SVX. I won't say they are not OK, just not being so enthusiastic about them.

Must say, that i really dig fender amps, owned Twin Reverb '78, Pro Reverb 74 and Supersonic - somehow I've never felt very comfortable with Amplitube Fender emulations. I've always found Fender sound from my head much easier with other ampsims.

Probably it's just me, if it is good for Fender company, i guess it's close enough.

Zabukowski

gavriloP wrote: The graphics are just that, graphics. No logo has a sound. Images of valves won't make you warm either. Remember that if amp manufacturers really thought that sims are equal to their products they probably wouldn't be so keen on sponsoring them. As it is, those sims work as adverts for their real products. No bedroom recordist is going to buy some big boutique tube amp anyway. So saying that logo on plugin means it has to sound good isn't really so. If anything, it would suit better for amp manufacturers if those sims do indeed sound inferior to the real thing. Last part is just thinking out loud, I'm not suggesting any conspiracy ;)
Yeah, not conspiracy, just logical marketing philosophy. ;) They say if you want to find out what's going on - just trace the money. :hihi:

That beign said, I should check the Scuffham / S-gear, it seems. I know Revalver rocks. :) Keep in mind I'm not a guitar or bass player, just a noise lover. :hihi: However, some noise is just annoying, and others can sound pleasing. I'm yet to find a nice one that produces good feedback.

Scuffham offers 15-days full trial and it's only 100$. Nice.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Peter, I don't care in the slightest whether you call my post a "tirade" or a "prayer for ethical behavior". You're trying to wear TWO hats here and those of us who weren't born yesterday see it for what it is: You're pulling a sales job right in the middle of some chap's sincere thread searching for quality amp sims. You IK Multimedia blokes are in these KVR forums constantly hawking your stuff. There are loads of other devs and proprietors who post in these threads and almost none of them pull this. These little firms are beating you fair and square because of the outstanding quality of their hard work and not through their very limited advertising budgets.

It's just not my fault your amps all sound about the same to me and rather nondescript and average. Even MusicRadar said the same recently in their all-time best amp sims list. I suggest that if you were truly secure in believing yours were better that you wouldn't become so quickly offended and go on the attack. To me, that's a clear sign of insecurity. May I suggest Dale Carnagie's classic book, How to Win Friends and Influence People? By the way, most in business know those tactics are a lousy way to attract or retain customers. It's just plain bad business. Now, how about take out an advert, aye?

Sometimes it is worth wading through pages of bollocks.

With all the props for s-gear, I thought I'd give it a go. Just bought it, installed in seconds, spent the last hour noodling with it, just trying presets really and fiddling with the very real-like responsive controls.

I've got an idiotic grin on my face.

Thanks guys. :D
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

The Telenator wrote:Peter, I don't care in the slightest whether you call my post a "tirade" or a "prayer for ethical behavior". You're trying to wear TWO hats here and those of us who weren't born yesterday see it for what it is: You're pulling a sales job right in the middle of some chap's sincere thread searching for quality amp sims. You IK Multimedia blokes are in these KVR forums constantly hawking your stuff. There are loads of other devs and proprietors who post in these threads and almost none of them pull this. These little firms are beating you fair and square because of the outstanding quality of their hard work and not through their very limited advertising budgets.

It's just not my fault your amps all sound about the same to me and rather nondescript and average. Even MusicRadar said the same recently in their all-time best amp sims list. I suggest that if you were truly secure in believing yours were better that you wouldn't become so quickly offended and go on the attack. To me, that's a clear sign of insecurity. May I suggest Dale Carnagie's classic book, How to Win Friends and Influence People? By the way, most in business know those tactics are a lousy way to attract or retain customers. It's just plain bad business. Now, how about take out an advert, aye?
It is not his fault all the amps sound the same to you. Did you ever think maybe it's you and not Amplitubes fault either though. That was not an attack or a dig, there is nothing wrong with having a preference and sticking to it...I if that were wrong it would be ridiculous no? I can relate to an extent but no one will ever tell me that if something doesn't sound good it's the fault of anyone but myself. In my youth some of the things I used for amps were a riot, not even amps sometimes in fact my first fuzz device was an old radio shack 8-track recorder I use to peg the vu meters and back then not knowing any better I called it the "Jimi Hendrix" sound (keep that part of "back then when I didn't know any better" in the back of your mind for a sec).

I have a few amp sims including AT but because of the way Revalver treated me and a couple of others when he sold out to Peavey I wont touch that sim. (sometimes it's a matter one's own values, not deciding with ears or eyes but saying no to poor business practices) Ironically I am also someone who has spoke out before more than once about IK coming into every thread advertising. Both Brian and Obik would like nothing more I'm sure than to see ol' Hink vanish but Peter is a very good friend...and he knows how much I hate IK doing that. I have even called this place IKvR. With that said, I think in this case you are dead wrong.

In the threads that mention another company in the title IK should keep their marketing out of it, for instance if there was a thread "what is your favorite amp in GT5 IK imho is out of line when they come in say "if you like those try our ######". That's not the case here, the question was asked about all sims and if that's not a place to pitch their product I dont know what is. You should keep in mind that some people's income actually depends on sales, it's their job...do you want people telling you how to do your job?

You're a music teacher correct? I found it a laughable moment when you said it's okay for others to state their opinions, thanx for the permission...and I didn't even raise my hand :lol: Do you teach your students to learn or do you just tell them what to do? I ask because you seem to like to state your position as fact. Just a couple of weeks ago you said you dont forbid your students from using a metronome, also another laughable moment. Teachers should teach the student how to learn right? Have I made my point? You want to attack another man for doing his job you need to be open for criticism as well and I bet reading that (which is all true) probably had blood rushing to your head.

Okay remember when I said keep that in the back of your mind for a sec? Back then when I didn't know any better I tried all kind of things, I had a lot of fails but the most important thing is how much fun I was having, said fun learned to a lifetime of glorious discoveries, learning and growing. I still do it to this day, you see I know at least myself that some great ways of learning are from one's mistakes and by mistake (the latter being simple discovery). I know when I am wrong, accept and admit my being wrong not only do I grow and learn but that lesson sticks with me even better as a result. Most of the time such lessons lead to better understanding and while learning things is great it doesn't come close to how important and awesome understanding some thing is, that opens up so many more doors.

An Amp, a sim, a pedal, a speaker etc are not instruments, in this case the guitar is the instrument and if you ask me it's far more beneficial to keep an open mind if one desires growth through learning. Sometimes I am messing with something I would never use, or perhaps through something that just doesn't get the tones I like. Does that stop me, instead of trying to get my amp to suit my playing I find another great way of learning is to try and suit my playing to the tones I am getting at the time...go into the unknown if you will or places I have never or rarely go. I find that expands my skills and understanding quite well.

So I wont go bash a sim based on whether or not I like how it sounds, "it's not for me" suffices well enough and almost 100% of the time it's not the amp, not the guitar, not the sim, not the strings...it's me and that's fine. Like with Revalver, it's me...I wont do business with them. Sure it's a great sim but at this stage in the game I can cover all the bases Revalver covers with what I currently own (and I'm not done yet :hihi: ). Isn't that what it is all about?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

This is what offended you so much? I wanted to make sure I was on the path to self-improvement (I mean, since it was suggested that I consult some self-help schlock book, I suppose I should) and I find nothing wrong with quoting a suggestion already made, following up with how to do so for free, and tabling my suggestion in a very non-sales way by clearly mentioning I've been a fan far before I worked here. That's easily verified by many here and elsewhere.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
TheoM wrote: ...I can suggest to try amplitube...
This :) Try the free version and there's plenty of other gear available. Obviously I think it is great, but I have thought AmplITube was great for years before I was with IK. http://www.amplitube.com (the free version is definitely worth a try - nothing lost to try for free).
Since this did indeed offend some, I apologize. I won't say I see how it did but I'm sorry you're so duly offended by my actions here. Can we move on?

operandx wrote:Sometimes it is worth wading through pages of bollocks.

With all the props for s-gear, I thought I'd give it a go. Just bought it, installed in seconds, spent the last hour noodling with it, just trying presets really and fiddling with the very real-like responsive controls.

I've got an idiotic grin on my face.

Thanks guys. :D
If you want to grin some more, there's additional presets in their forum. Some are quite good.
No marketing hype, no brand names (except perhaps S-Gear's developer being the person who made the Marshall JMP-1), excellent pricing, great support, and superb sounds.
Years ago I did like Amplitube's Fender amps, particularly when compared to the competition. Today I rarely use Amplitube. They do have some good amps, but i prefer S-Gear, bx_rockrack PRO, etc.
esoundz name: Helio

@Hink:

Excellent post.

Several good points made there.

beau921 wrote:@Hink:

Excellent post.

Several good points made there.
Wow what a thread, I like Revalver a lot, and I think that amplitube is the best, I dont work for either one, but, if the chance presented I would work for both, now with that being said, all amp sims that I have fooled with are pretty good.

Return to “Effects”