What is the correct sequence of effects on the channel?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I would like to asky u guys, what is the correct sequence of effects on the channels, Sidechain Grossbeat plugin > EQ > Compressor > reverb > filter bank > limiter ?
Because I'm having this problem :
I made kick and EQ it, ok it sounds really nice.
Then i made the bassline (subbass) and EQ'ed it, then SSL Comp mono with threeshold -2,7 ratio 10, make up 2 db and 1 ms attack AND THEN GROSSBEAT FOR SIDECHAIN EFFECT.
Then i made the same process for mid-high bassline and the whole track with kick and bassline sounds really good, but I watched nicky romero in the studio, and i saw that he use sidechain FIRST then EQ and after it,compressor.
I tweaked my basses with the same sequence as he has and it sounds bad, like without dynamic.

Could someone explain this ?

PS. Sorry for my english !

Greetz

There is no "correct" order of effects other than what works well for you at the time. What works for Producer X might not neccecarily be what your track needs right now, even if you want to sound like Producer X.

Just be aware that the order of the effects will change the sound of them slightly. Eq after reverb will end up Eq'ing the reverb, whereas Eq before the reverb will affect the response of the reverb (i.e what frequencies in what quantities make it to the reverberation), but not it's tail.

This is especially apparent on effects which are sensitive to input level, such as saturation and distortion.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I think the correct sequence of the FX is the one that gives you results you're looking for.

You need to know what the FX do, so you could assemble them in the correct sequence that leads you to the sound you have in mind.

Easy-peasy. :D

Also, having a nice chain that you can change the FX order easly of [like in Reaper] is a nice feature. Sometimes it just sounds better if the "X" is before "Y" kinda thing.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

If you want dramatic sidechain compression, make sure it's last (or at least very late) in the chain.

Also:
http://blog.kimlajoie.com/ordering-of-e ... mpression/
http://blog.kimlajoie.com/variations-on ... ng-effect/

-Kim.

There are two uses for send fx: Corrective, and creative. For corrective use, i intially have the first send of every channel occupied with an eq. In this eq i make the low-cuts that are necessary for most of the sounds, as well as eliminating annoying frequencies from certain sound.
The master channel will generally feature an oscilloscope at the near end, follow by a brickwall limiter at the end.

These are basically the only "rules" i have as for the corrective part.
The creative part, depends on the kind of sound you want to achieve, but generally like people here already said, you should just experiment with different order and routing of fx.

Shouldn't their be like a newb section for shit like this?.i swear i've seen like 3-4 posts in the past month on here pertaining to this same shit

I think people have become oblivious to the SEARCH BUTTON :)

I don't really do any "corrective processing" but i do use pre-sends alot and ferez is right in saying that their really is no limitations as to what order effects should go

Abit of knowledge into how effects behave being processed through one another would be beneficial but after that.the sky's the limit

TIMT
I

Highpass filter is always in the last position for all mixer track except the kick and bass.

I thought everyone knew the correct channel sequence for FX is:

compressor -> multiband compressor -> multiband limiter -> limiter -> clipper -> tube type warmifier -> saturation -> analogification -> limiter. DOn't need to bother with all that Eq shite.

:hihi:

smalternative wrote:I watched nicky romero in the studio, and i saw that he use sidechain FIRST then EQ and after it,compressor.
Sounds like some kind of serial compression...maybe he first creates a pumping effect and then he attenuates the effect with a second compressor (to make it more louder in the end)? :?:

Return to “Production Techniques”