Logic Pro or Pro Tools ???

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, for anyone who really needs the exact VCA group feature, please download Blue cat's excellent and completely FREE gain plugin with true grouping. One gain can control as many as you want, and you can make 4 subgroups to control.

Cpu load per instance is 0.1 % of a core, so using even 60 of them would use 6% of ONE core :lol:

Or simply just highlight and drag multiple mixer channels in logic. No need to right click and group like cubase.

Or highlight multiple automation and drag it all around relatively.

Hey now, I'm still waiting for someone to explain how Pro Tools audio editing is so much better than Logic.
You are currently reading my signature.

Ok the only advantage i can think of as that playback adjusts to cuts and changes faster than logic, but there's still a decent delay there.. if we are going to talk speed, cubase blows everything. I mean, that's the really funny thing.. Cubase is more advanced than pro tools with audio editing by far and has a full waveform editor on top, yet people still say, "pro tools for audio, cubase for midi" :lol:

Cubase has got the fastest audio editing i have ever seen. Actually 0 ms delay on edits, hence why i guess it's more cpu hungry than logic, full offline history, highlight 20 different audio parts on as many different tracks and adjust gain and crossfades simultaneously, etc.

Logic's audio is just fine as you and I know Anthony and there's nothing essential it can't do. It can snap to zero, has the best audio quantize i ever had the pleasure of using, the best slicing ability also, i just can't see where it's lacking apart from slip edit in the arrange page and faster response. that's honestly it. But you can slip edit in the editor by double clicking on the file and the editor is consolidated in one window anyway. i would go as far as to say logic's audio editing is delightful to use :shrug:

[example] the crossfade curves are so good in logic, that i was not able to get rid of a click in any other software in this particular audio file, without affecting some of the audio. In logic i was able to fine tune the curve to such a degree with such perfection, and i :dog: myself and said, why on earth didn't i just do it in logic to begin with. [/end example]

djanthonyw wrote:Hey now, I'm still waiting for someone to explain how Pro Tools audio editing is so much better than Logic.
pre-fader clip volume automation is nice, separate pan pot for LR, waveform can zoom to sample level, different slip modes, audiosuite for quick inline offline bouncing, automation lane edit that doesn't snap to 127 values when clicking, track's playlist organization, implementation of group that is easy for hiding/showing group of tracks and what have you.

Sure you can live without any of them. I mix in Logic myself and just work around the limitations, but there are many nice things in PT that are hard to part ways with after you get use to them. I personally hate Logic's idea of waveform to gut but I don't splice things often enough to call it quit.
TheoM wrote:the actual automation lines/points are so much more advanced in Logic than PT, that i would never be able to replicate the intricate automation I do in logic with PT. it is simply not possible.
Ya it's nice to have but how often one needs it anyway? Sure approximate the shape doesn't look as smooth as the line in Logic but I can't recall an instance where the curve really needed.

I would happily trade that curvey automation with automation lane that doesn't lag like crazy when the session pushes close to CPU limit... It drives me insane on my old mbp that I'll randomly edit the wrong automation simply because the mouse click register late at the wrong spot

How often? In every single project, without exception. So i guess it's back to different strokes. No lag here at all cores fully throttled in 9.1.8.

The first 2 of your +es is fully covered by the FREE plugin i mentioned above. Logic zooms to sample. Logic has much more than 127 steps now, much more, playlist ok never used that, Logic can hide and show groups as well by clicking on them and hiding. I don't know which version of logic u are using?

Well there you go, Logic rules the roost. :hihi:

The free BlueCat plug is "exactly" the same as PT's VCA's. I'll let the Nuendo guys know so they can strike it from the FR list. :)

Anyway, I'm glad you guys got it sorted so you can sleep better. No more DAW wars.

I know right, it's got relative or equal gain, and NINE possible groups. I was wrong on that i was thinking of the older 4 group version. Amazing stuff. And also separate left right control for daw's with interlaced stereo channels :)

awesome.

Logic automation is fine controlled by holding down the control key after you have clicked a point. I was able to cycle by around 15 ish - 20 hz each step from 0 to 30khz in pro-q just now. It's 1000 and something steps, or 2000 i can't remember, it has been talked about before at GS, that's surely enough. :shrug:

Besides.. those curves :love:

and those crossfades :love:

Plus, logic's markers are the bomb as well. So good. I was going through some stuff before and got moist as usual but every time i use logic it always reminds me, every time, why i could never leave it. It's just so wonderful :)

Cool man. It's good to find a host that works well for your needs.

Do you do a lot of straightaway band tracking and mixing (audio production) with Logic or do you work mostly with virtual instruments?

Thanks Theo.

TheoM wrote:How often? In every single project, without exception. So i guess it's back to different strokes. No lag here at all cores fully throttled in 9.1.8.
Always go to hell at the end of session even on my new i7 quad core mbp. Mostly by latency-inducing plug but I need them.
The first 2 of your +es is fully covered by the FREE plugin i mentioned above. Logic zooms to sample. Logic has much more than 127 steps now, much more, playlist ok never used that, Logic can hide and show groups as well by clicking on them and hiding. I don't know which version of logic u are using?
I don't know what magical version you have but zooming it's just a blocky mess in arrange no matter how I look at it.
I know there's more than 127 step but getting to them always fiddly for me. Who knows, maybe I'll learn it again. The event list is definitely 127 steps which I can't get away from.

Either way, everything is pretty much covered still that's why I'm still in Logic, but PT has better implementation for some feature IMO is just nice to have. And I gonna cry and bitch until Logic let me do region gain in smaller than 1db increments... :|

softska wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:Hey now, I'm still waiting for someone to explain how Pro Tools audio editing is so much better than Logic.
pre-fader clip volume automation is nice
Logic has this, and if you want automation all you do is insert a gain plugin on an insert and automate it.

softska wrote:separate pan pot for LR
What benefit does this offer over a one knob solution?
softska wrote:waveform can zoom to sample level
Logic has this.

Every time you select a region to edit in the Arrange window, the sample edit window is updated to reflect the selection and you can zoom to sample level and use Command to activate the pencil tool and raw out the glitch.

softska wrote:different slip modes
What can you do with different slip modes in Pro Tools that can't be done in Logic?
softska wrote:audiosuite for quick inline offline bouncing
Logic has the "bounce in place" feature.
softska wrote:automation lane edit that doesn't snap to 127 values when clicking
softska wrote:track's playlist organization
softska wrote:implementation of group that is easy for hiding/showing group of tracks and what have you.
Logic offers grouping with hiding and showing... I don't know how much "easier" it can get really... especially when using folders.
Last edited by djanthonyw on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

softska wrote:I don't know what magical version you have but zooming it's just a blocky mess in arrange no matter how I look at it.
Regardless of how it's displayed, it's still sample accurate.
softska wrote: Either way, everything is pretty much covered still that's why I'm still in Logic
Exactly. Everything is covered which is what I was getting at originally. Audio editing in Pro Tools is not "so much better" than in Logic, regardless of how many people claim it. They can never back it up.
softska wrote: PT has better implementation for some feature IMO is just nice to have
Sounds like a very subjective claim.
softska wrote: I gonna cry and bitch until Logic let me do region gain in smaller than 1db increments... :|
Why? Region based gain is not meant to be based on small increments, in any program. Even if smaller increments are offered in other programs, you're not supposed to be using this feature to do your mixing.

Goddamn, DAW wars are annoying. Haven't you guys even noticed that the OP hasn't replied since shortly after starting this pointless thread? Ya'll done got trolled.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

cryophonik wrote:Goddamn, DAW wars are annoying. Haven't you guys even noticed that the OP hasn't replied since shortly after starting this pointless thread? Ya'll done got trolled.
Hmmmm. Maybe we could have less of this ...

and more of this?

I always did love that shirt :)

Apparently thinking PT does something better than Logic and now I'm in the wrong religion :party:
djanthonyw wrote:Sounds like a very subjective claim.
Well duh, god forbid someone like me dare to have a different opinion and you're not sold on them.

Having an opinion and claiming something is not the same thing.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”