Oxium replacement

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To cut long story short - I am looking for a replacement plugin for Xils Oxium. I love this instrument, but for some reason it seriously lacks stability in my setup. It's non stop crashing down, GUI is glitching and plugin simply vanishes from the project sometimes. Not to mention that CPU load even on simple patches can be sometimes much bigger than 3 or 4 instances of Diva altogether.
But problem is that I did use it a lot, so many of my WIP songs are using it.
What I'm looking for is a synth with similiar OSCs, 2 of them and nice ARP, so i could recreate my patches closely. And smaller CPU load would be nice too.

So if you have any ideas, it would be appreciated greatly :)

Ok something sounds wrong there.. Is there any chance if we can help you get it stable, you'd be happy and keep it? If so, please list FULL system specs, OS, Host,etc, and let's see if the fine folk here have any suggestions.

As far as alternatives, well, oxium has kind of it's own sound TBH, and you either like it or don't. I really think it sounds totally opposite to Diva for example. If you want a good analog synth, well there's diva, the other Xils stuff (all of them superb, but do they all cause stability issues?), Lush (VERY hungry but wicked), or DCAM (lovely lower end, very stable, but weird presets)..
Of course Arturia make some lovely stuff too, Jupiter and Oberheim come to mind, as well as the 2600.
And don't forget imposcar, but that's only 32 bit at present.
And finally, KORG monopoly is WICKED!! (ditto 32, but 64 on way)

Cheers

Xils Lab website is down, at the moment, so my recommendations are only based on a memory of Oxium. discoDSP Corona and Tone2 Saurus fit the bill with OSCs and an Arp, and would make suitable replacements. But I agree that you should probably see if you can increase the stability of Oxium, and if that is unstable (and we don't know what host, OS, other environment) there's no guarantee that any of our recommendations will be an improvement. For instance, whether you are using Mac, PC or Linux makes a big difference for some instruments...

Usually Oxium should not be unstable so there could be problems with e.g. OS, host and/or CPU. My own setup is Windows 7 32-bit, Ableton Live 8.3.4 and Core 2 Quad Q6600 (4 x 2.4 GHz) and no big problems with that setup.

Finding a full replacement would not be really easy i guess.
Saurus would be nice but misses e.g. the second filter and also sounds quite different (especially the filters are much different). The LeMasque step sequencer would be difficult to replace anyway.
Another special feature of Oxium is that you could activate all 4 oscillator waveforms for each oscillator at once.

The closest other Xils Lab synth would be Synthix i guess.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Last edited by hakey on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am working on laptop with the following specs:
Intel Core i3-2310M@2,1Ghz
4GB Ram
Western Digital 750 GB, 5400RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive
Integrated Realtec Sound Card/Line6 Pod Studio GX (I switch back and forth depending on how mobile I am in a given moment)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64Bit
Presonus Studio One 2.5 (x86)

The thing is, only Oxium does make any problems. I've been testing Synthix from Xils before, and everything was working smoothly. Diva also works with no apparent problems - it cloggs of course if I load some huge preset in an already big project with some VSTs and other instruments, but on the other hand I am working now on a song with like 7 instances of just DIVA and everything is a ok.
Oxium loads up the CPU instantly, even when I load only it in a new project. It's still menagable, but forget about any tweaking. If I start to tweak knobs while song is playing, synth will glitch sonically and graphically, responciveness is very delayed and whats most annoying - after a while (but it is random really) sound is stopping. And then I can't do anything. Only thing that helps is that I remove plugin from project completely and after that load it again. And that can be a pesky task when you got a lot of automation going on...
Saurus would be nice but misses e.g. the second filter and also sounds quite different (especially the filters are much different). The LeMasque step sequencer would be difficult to replace anyway.
Another special feature of Oxium is that you could activate all 4 oscillator waveforms for each oscillator at once.
What I am looking for are those 4 simultaneous waveforms exactly, but I need a pair of OSCs like those, just like in Oxium. I also do like Modulation and filters in that plugin, but sequencer is really no use for me, so that particullar feature is of no importance for me. Real deal will be to get those OSCs...[/quote]

roon wrote:To cut long story short - I am looking for a replacement plugin for Xils Oxium. I love this instrument, but for some reason it seriously lacks stability in my setup. It's non stop crashing down, GUI is glitching and plugin simply vanishes from the project sometimes. Not to mention that CPU load even on simple patches can be sometimes much bigger than 3 or 4 instances of Diva altogether.
But problem is that I did use it a lot, so many of my WIP songs are using it.
What I'm looking for is a synth with similiar OSCs, 2 of them and nice ARP, so i could recreate my patches closely. And smaller CPU load would be nice too.

So if you have any ideas, it would be appreciated greatly :)
Yes Xils-Lab site will be down for one day or two : The server main HD showed some serious signs of weakness, who were also the cause for some bad behaviour of the contact utility lately etc. Sorry for the inconvenience to all, but the best thing was to replace it, make back ups etc and this takes a little time.

For your specific problems please meanwhile could you PM me your system details : OS/Version/Host/version/32/64 bits etc. And this problem will be fixed in the best time window, if its fixable on our side. Oxium indeed has a lot of users, and no such thing was reported until now, on a huge variety of systems/daw/versions possible combinations. It seems to work rock solid for all users, including Protooler since last update.

Please also install the last version of Oxium. maybe something was fixed.

As for replacing it, well I think nothing can really replace Oxium, given that it has so much unique features, but you could try any softsynth sharing the VA paradigm, made by Xils or another company, and see what comes out.

The nex update of Oxium is currently on the radar, and it will bring some very nice things for users. And also eventual fixes, when needed. We are not conscious of such possible dysfonctions, but please send us some details if you encounter so.

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

roon wrote:I am working on laptop with the following specs:
4GB Ram
Integrated Realtec Sound Card/Line6 Pod Studio GX (I switch back and forth depending on how mobile I am in a given moment)
Looking at that i thought the CPU could be a problem as an i3 with 2.1 GHz does not seem to be real "high end", especially a mobile version.
Don't know how you could use 7 instances of Diva with that system. Maybe with less demanding patches and reduced quality settings?

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

4GB Ram

The thing is, only Oxium does make any problems. I've been testing Synthix from Xils before, and everything was working smoothly. Diva also works with no apparent problems - it cloggs of course if I load some huge preset in an already big project with some VSTs and other instruments, but on the other hand I am working now on a song with like 7 instances of just DIVA and everything is a ok.
Oxium loads up the CPU instantly, even when I load only it in a new project. It's still menagable, but forget about any tweaking. If I start to tweak knobs while song is playing, synth will glitch sonically and graphically, responciveness is very delayed and whats most annoying - after a while (but it is random really) sound is stopping. And then I can't do anything. Only thing that helps is that I remove plugin from project completely and after that load it again. And that can be a pesky task when you got a lot of automation going on...
What I am looking for are those 4 simultaneous waveforms exactly, but I need a pair of OSCs like those, just like in Oxium. I also do like Modulation and filters in that plugin, but sequencer is really no use for me, so that particullar feature is of no importance for me. Real deal will be to get those OSCs...
[/quote]

Thanks for the details, the the problem probably focuses on the last version of Studio One.

Note : To get similar accumulative 4 oscillators structure your best bet might indeed be the Synthix, as Ingo already reported it. ( But please, try the demo first in your host to see if Synthix is still working fine in it : Something might have changed in your Daw version )

LtZ

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Ingonator wrote:
4GB Ram
Looking at that i thought the CPU could be a problem as an i3 with 2.1 GHz does not seem to be real "high end".
Don't know how you could use 7 instances of Diva with that system. Maybe with less demanding patches and reduced quality settings?

Ingo
Yeah, real simple patches, nothing fancy - almost no internal effects, no modulation other than ADSR for filter, no multiple voices, barelly any automation - just raw stuff really. Maximum 4 of them playing at once. Some external effects, but those stock plugins from Studio One are quite CPU frendly. I can send you the project file/screens little later when I'll get to a broadband connection at home.

Same here... Oxium sounds lovely, but it is not stable. I sold it. And bought Synth Squad. Easy to program thanks to TransMod. I bought the Himalaya presets. Which was very educational. Great synth. At the moment $99 (JRRShop).

hakey wrote:Image
Kinda suits it, actually. 8)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Sendy wrote:
Shows a 403 error now.......Wonder why he removed the image of Synth 1 ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sendy wrote:
Yes, or Neon can be a good replacement also. ( Though its not orange :? )

Or just buy a Roland Jupiter 8.

Some people, like Hakey, who posted this nice picture, could not make the difference between Oxium and a real Jupiter 8.

Well the same person could not make the difference between Synth 1 and a real Jupiter 8 as well to be honnest.

Some real Jupiter owners however, said that Oxium shared a similar sonic character.

Who to believe ? Well, just try Oxium, a Jupiter 8 and Synth 1, and choose the one you prefer :shrug:

Return to “Instruments”