SplineEQ pricing poll

Official support for: photosounder.com

How much do you think should the full version of SplineEQ cost?

$19
47%
$29
29%
$49
11%
$59
No votes
$69
3%
$79
No votes
$89
3%
$99
5%
Other (explain)
3%

Total votes: 38

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like to address imperfections to always improve what I do, and today I'd like to address a recurring complaint: the price of SplineEQ ($19). It seems there's a consensus that the price is too low and off-putting and that I should raise it. So I would like to ask you how much you think it should sell for / how much you'd be happy to buy for. I will pick the new price either from the answer with the most votes if there's a clear consensus or using the statistical median. Thank you!
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote:I like to address imperfections to always improve what I do, and today I'd like to address a recurring complaint: the price of SplineEQ ($19). It seems there's a consensus that the price is too low and off-putting and that I should raise it. So I would like to ask you how much you think it should sell for / how much you'd be happy to buy for. I will pick the new price either from the answer with the most votes if there's a clear consensus or using the statistical median. Thank you!
wasnt it even down to $9 in the past?

anyway, i think the times where price was a parameter for quality are long over.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
A_SN wrote:I like to address imperfections to always improve what I do, and today I'd like to address a recurring complaint: the price of SplineEQ ($19). It seems there's a consensus that the price is too low and off-putting and that I should raise it. So I would like to ask you how much you think it should sell for / how much you'd be happy to buy for. I will pick the new price either from the answer with the most votes if there's a clear consensus or using the statistical median. Thank you!
wasnt it even down to $9 in the past?

anyway, i think the times where price was a parameter for quality are long over.
Oh yeah there was that MacUpdate Promo. I don't know, people always tell me to raise it, and I don't want anyone to think less of it because it's cheap.

How can a low price be off putting, cos they can't go around and say "yeah, paid 2 grand for this eq"
As long as its good thats the only thing that is important. :-)

You've urged me to buy it immediately... :lol:

Tricky-Loops wrote:You've urged me to buy it immediately... :lol:
haha well so far people keep voting $19 so I don't think you should feel too urged... :lol:

A_SN wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:You've urged me to buy it immediately... :lol:
haha well so far people keep voting $19 so I don't think you should feel too urged... :lol:
Okay I'll vote $29 just to have saved some bucks... :lol:

murnau wrote:anyway, i think the times where price was a parameter for quality are long over.
+1

xx JPRacer xx wrote:
murnau wrote:anyway, i think the times where price was a parameter for quality are long over.
+1
True only for the people which are digging KVR and read here occasionaly.
You can't argue the psychological effect a higher price have on most of the people, and a higher price DOES project something about quality to 70% of them.
My suggestion is to raise the price to make it look more prestigious for the wide crowd, while giving a coupon code for KVR users who knows a thing or two about the quality of this great plugin - it's a win-win situation.

I think it depends on your plans to support and develop it. Please don't take that the wrong way, but if I'm not mistaken, there hasn't been an update in quite some time. Plus, I believe we left off with most of the new features that were discussed being slated for a "pro" version of unknown purchase/upgrade cost, etc. That said, I'll put in a vote for $25 for the pro/best version and free upgrade/update.

would it be churlish to mention photosounder ? last {beta} build dated may 2011 ?

Oops. Internetfail.
Last edited by theodore_whitmore on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChiTown24 wrote:would it be churlish to mention photosounder ? last {beta} build dated may 2011 ?
not in my opinion. its a long time to focus on a single (side-project?) plugin instead of a 'main product'
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

murnau wrote:
A_SN wrote: ... i think the times where price was a parameter for quality are long over.
+1

anyway, i won a license in the monthly kvR contest and wow, i was soo impressed by the quality of the plug in. when i went to the webside and i saw the price, i was surprised, how cheap it was and how generous the dev. :clap:
"It dreamed itself along"

ferez21 wrote:My suggestion is to raise the price to make it look more prestigious for the wide crowd, while giving a coupon code for KVR users who knows a thing or two about the quality of this great plugin - it's a win-win situation.
I like the idea! Where would KVR users learn about the coupon thing though? I mean where on KVR (obviously ;)).
antithesist wrote:I think it depends on your plans to support and develop it. Please don't take that the wrong way, but if I'm not mistaken, there hasn't been an update in quite some time. Plus, I believe we left off with most of the new features that were discussed being slated for a "pro" version of unknown purchase/upgrade cost, etc. That said, I'll put in a vote for $25 for the pro/best version and free upgrade/update.
Actually I'm still working on it, even though I know it doesn't look like it :lol:. For the current version I'm pretty much done with doing the AAX build (I have trouble with the RTAS build on Mac), but I'm also in the middle of redoing a lot of the graphics and graphics code to fix the antialiasing, compositing and other maths stuff, I've been working on it for a few months and developing tools to help me do that. Not of a huge interest for audio people I know but I have to get all of this right so that I can use that for all of my future work. Also I've been making a secret plugin you don't know about and started working on the Qt rewrite of Photosounder.
ChiTown24 wrote:would it be churlish to mention photosounder ? last {beta} build dated may 2011 ?
Yeah I'm working on a rewrite of it, I feel like I can only get so far with the current codebase for Photosounder, I had some many changes to how things work internally with the last beta that I figured it's a good time to do it again from almost scratch with a better focus on what's important and on how I want it to work (for example instead of slapping real-time synthesis on top of the old Photosounder it would be better to have a new Photosounder designed around real-time synthesis, it's just an example, there are so many things that are lacking from the current design/codebase of Photosounder it would be hard to implement any of the things that matter to people).

Also during my graphics improvement work I've made a utility that I'm gonna release eventually when it's polished enough, so there's that too! Maybe I'm working on a few too many things at the same time :hihi:

Return to “Photosounder”