New type of compressor interface (Radium Compressor)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really like it!

Bought it few hours ago but haven't had delivery yet although I thought I saw a message that delivery would be within minutes...

Nothing in the spam folder either. Fingers are crossed.

manducator wrote:I really like it!

Bought it few hours ago but haven't had delivery yet although I thought I saw a message that delivery would be within minutes...

Nothing in the spam folder either. Fingers are crossed.
That is really unfortunate. I have only received one payment, so
that buyer is likely to be you. But I also know that the delivery
message for that buyer, was really sent, because I get carbon copies of
the delivery messages.

Are you sure you are reading the mails for the account
you have registered for paypal?

But in any case, send me an email and we'll figure this out.
k.s.matheussen@notam02.no

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:1. Why not add the attack and release times into the threshold. So the bar would fade in with longer attacks, and the curve into the threshold could increase/decrease based on the release time.
I don't think I understand what you mean. Do you think that the attack and release should be controlled inside the threshold slider? In case, that sounds complicated. Also, have you tried the program? I think both attack and release are visualized quite well. You may have a good idea though, but I don't know what you mean.

2. While it looks interesting, and could help out newbies, it doesn't actually seem like you can gather a lot of information about how loud the signal is going into it versus what's coming out. Example, in your screenshot you have the makeup gain set to +9.3, but where do I see roughly 9db of gain reduction?
The input sound above threshold is reduced approximately 9db in the screenshot. But look at the graph instead of the numbers (the dark blue line), it shows accurately the volume (as interpreted by the compressor) in each state. This volume representation (which also includes the lighter blue area showing recent volume span) changes depending on the values of attack and release.

It's not the actual volume you see in the graph (whatever "the actual volume" may be), but it's the volume representation that the compressor uses, and this value is also the one the user is interested in when tuning the parameters.

It certainly should help out "newbies", but it is not ment as a tool only for inexperienced users.
If my signal was below -24db, there'd be zero gain redcuction taking place with a 9.3 increase in the output gain. Ideally, you'd find a better way of showing the actual gain reduction. I'd want to see input signal (with the threshold over that), gain reduction, then how the makeup gain makes up for what was reduced. This way I could properly gain stage.
Sorry, I don't follow you. It sounds to me like this is how the program works, no?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:1. Why not add the attack and release times into the threshold. So the bar would fade in with longer attacks, and the curve into the threshold could increase/decrease based on the release time.
Reading your post again, this also sounds exactly how the interface of the compressor works.

kmatheussen wrote:
That is really unfortunate. I have only received one payment, so
that buyer is likely to be you. But I also know that the delivery
message for that buyer, was really sent, because I get carbon copies of
the delivery messages.

Are you sure you are reading the mails for the account
you have registered for paypal?

But in any case, send me an email and we'll figure this out.
k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
I received a new message and everything is ok. It works great in reaper 32-bit.

Satisfied customer here!

Nice interface, and it eats no CPU.

I don't need another compressor and I regret that a little because I find that a pretty well perfect user interface. Attractive, simple and ridiculously easy to extract the required information from it. If I was using it I would want dB labelling somewhere on the interface-that is information I would use on the way in to and the way out of the plugin it would be helpful to have it there at a glance as I tweaked.
One other thought here. There was a thread today ruing the lack of a replacement for Neodynium. The UI of this looks almost ready made to be that replacement. I don't know if the demand for that would justify the effort of making it so but it would certainly give you a unique selling point. Best of luck with all your efforts and thank you for letting us know about them.

Seriously, please consider creating a suite of GUI FX like this that can be controlled by "touch-screen" monitors.

I feel like this would be ideal... no knobs, but nice colorful and good info directly on the screen with a good size for fingers to touch and grab. :)

Anyone noticed parameters resetting when adding effects before or after it or by turning it on or off from host?
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:Anyone noticed parameters resetting when adding effects before or after it or by turning it on or off from host?
Ouch, that's embarrassing. I've located the error though, it should be an easy fix. Thanks for reporting.

kmatheussen wrote:
Crackbaby wrote:Anyone noticed parameters resetting when adding effects before or after it or by turning it on or off from host?
Ouch, that's embarrassing. I've located the error though, it should be an easy fix. Thanks for reporting.
Fixed now.

Awesome! Well done :)

You might want to consider adding a link to the plugin in your signature here so it's easy to find.
:hug:

vaisnava wrote:Seriously, please consider creating a suite of GUI FX like this that can be controlled by "touch-screen" monitors.

I feel like this would be ideal... no knobs, but nice colorful and good info directly on the screen with a good size for fingers to touch and grab. :)
Thanks for the idea. I know nothing about touch screens though, so it seems like I need some learning. For instance, what should be improved in the GUI to make it work better on touch screens? Can't it be used as it is already?

theodore_whitmore wrote:If I was using it I would want dB labelling somewhere on the interface-that is information I would use on the way in to and the way out of the plugin it would be helpful to have it there at a glance as I tweaked.
The sliders have dB labelling already. Perhaps you are thinking of dB labelling for the measured volume in and out?

One other thought here. There was a thread today ruing the lack of a replacement for Neodynium. The UI of this looks almost ready made to be that replacement. I don't know if the demand for that would justify the effort of making it so but it would certainly give you a unique selling point. Best of luck with all your efforts and thank you for letting us know about them.
Oh, thanks for the hint. That's interesting. Yes, Neodynium has some of the same graphical features as the Radium Compressor. I haven't seen Neodynium before, but I did actually think about making the Radium Compressor work like Neodynimum, where you could separate the volume spectrum in several bands. However, I feared that it would be a lot of programming for a feature no one would use, so I let it be. But perhaps I should do this.

I'm going to make a normal multiband compressor first though. The DSP code for the multiband compressor is already made, and the GUI is mostly just reusing code from the Radium compressor, so it shouldn't be that much work.

This looks beautiful. I'm about to demo. How about oversampling?

Return to “Effects”