Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yea it does seem fair. Even for Suite owners, the upgrade to Live 9 is fair tbh. I would've most likely gone with that, had I decided to continue using Live.

Chrisma wrote:Suite + Live9 + Max for $299. Seems fair.
I get the same offer but I already own M4L, not fair :(

Anyway, not really interested in suite, and so far I don't feel I really need Live 9,
Big saving :)

mbncp wrote:and so far I don't feel I really need Live 9,
Big saving :)
A few things I need in Live 9:
- Better integration of Max for Live
- 64 bit
- Automation recording in clips (and better automation editing)

Although I don't need it... Audio to midi looks interesting.

So I do a regular upgrade, because I already have M4L. And I don't need all the included content in Suite.

haha, I was pissed when I didn't jump on the 179 mistake. I knew it was a mistake, and almost bought it in the morning before work, but I was in a rush.

By the time I came home, the price was corrected.

dw

dusted william wrote:haha, I was pissed when I didn't jump on the 179 mistake.
I ordered it for 179 dollars by e-mail, because I wanted to buy it without VAT. When they send me an e-mail (almost a week later), they quoted the corrected price and I couldn't get it for the price at the time I ordered it. Too bad.

dusted william wrote:haha, I was pissed when I didn't jump on the 179 mistake. I knew it was a mistake, and almost bought it in the morning before work, but I was in a rush.

By the time I came home, the price was corrected.

dw
For those who added the upgrade for 179 to their cart but didn't buy it, if you sent a mail you got a coupon for -100.

I did it and got a coupon which they stated will exprire on december 7, I added it on december fearing it will expire. To my surprise the disccount stayed there in the basket until I purchased the upgrade on january.

So, if you see a very good price, add it to the basket. If they give you coupons, add them to the basket too. Its seems the basket is almost the same as "i am checking out right now" for them. :? :-o
dedication to flying

So I'm guessing that it is a general consensus that 9 beta is terrific and people should not be complaining about it? (or maybe just I shouldn't)

Seriously, the experience has been (conservatively) a dud. Nothing I can remember as a bug fix that I was involved in with the testing, NOTHING significant in updates during the time I've beta'ed and a general feeling of "well, that was a waste of time"

I just don't get it. Ableton obviously worked fairly hard to get live to where it was mostly a rock (8.4 was terrific!) and with ONE SINGLE exception, I want to just go back to 8.4 (but that is in beta too :x ??? :? )

I don't know what is going on. I just feel lost now.

You are definitely not alone, the bugs and missing features that Ive reported and have seen on the forums would almost seem like show stoppers to me yet many get absolutely no response. On occaison they get a response weeks after mention just saying 'we are aware' and either it wont be fixed for release or 'we are looking in to it'.

For me Im 50/50 on it. I do love the new features and improvements, but some of the steps backwards and more recent bug realizations (the browser, all sorts of automation screw ups) are what are dragging me down and in general they are issues with the fundamental usage of the program. At this point Im probably still upgrading but only because I got a really good deal on a push and Im genuinely excited about that, and since 9 a is requirement Ill have to upgrade. But if it wasnt for push, i would probably give it a pass in its current form

hibidy wrote:So I'm guessing that it is a general consensus that 9 beta is terrific and people should not be complaining about it? (or maybe just I shouldn't)

Seriously, the experience has been (conservatively) a dud. Nothing I can remember as a bug fix that I was involved in with the testing, NOTHING significant in updates during the time I've beta'ed and a general feeling of "well, that was a waste of time"

I just don't get it. Ableton obviously worked fairly hard to get live to where it was mostly a rock (8.4 was terrific!) and with ONE SINGLE exception, I want to just go back to 8.4 (but that is in beta too :x ??? :? )

I don't know what is going on. I just feel lost now.
Renoise is waiting :)

Seriously, Renoise owns.

It sorta has the session view arrangement capabilities with the pattern matrix :)

It's fantastic if you haven't tried it, you should. Use it until Live 9 matures and stabilizes..

It's cheap and taktik and friends can use the money :)

I'll look into it. But TBH, the frustration isn't like I'm coming from something I don't like to something else, but from something that I thought (and stupidly so) would be an upgrade from something I DO like to something that feels a little like a downgrade. That is where the real frustration comes in.

Sorry to be slow, but - how do you find the beta of 9 to be a step backwards? Not arguing at all, just very curious...

andrelafosse wrote:Sorry to be slow, but - how do you find the beta of 9 to be a step backwards? Not arguing at all, just very curious...
I just read that up there ^.
So how about instead of being lazy, you do the same.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:I just read that up there ^.
So how about instead of being lazy, you do the same.
O SNAP!

Major pwnage. :D

I have actually read this thread, as well as some of the complaints on the beta forum.

Buggy automation? OK, that's clearly a problem. Can someone elaborate on how/where that shows up?

New browser? I understand some people like it and some people don't. That's not a bug, that's a new design angle that some people don't like. Is there an actual bug with it? I couldn't find more info on that. Hence my asking for some elaboration.

Smart snapping of MIDI notes? A lot of people don't like it, but that's a new design angle, not a bug.

No sign of fixed bugs? The two issues I personally had with the beta (endlessly scrolling Places icon and missing au presets) are working now.

I'm not an Ableton apologist. What I am is a guy who hasn't spent a ton of time with the Live 9 beta, who is curious about the talk of steps backwards and people wanting to go back to 8.4, who's asking for a little more info than what I've already seen here.

Like you say - I'm lazy! O that someone might have pity on my slacking self, and shine bright light of wisdom upon my eternally dim and foggy noggin.

I've mentioned this a few times before, but I used to work in QA at Apple many years ago. At the time, I remember them releasing a new Mac with over 500 open bugs remaining in the tracker. The bottom line is that products have to make it to market within a reasonable amount of time, even if they are somewhat flawed. Ableton can't keep Live 9 in beta forever, even if people continue to find new bugs forever. I'm sure they focused on the most serious ones, the most obvious ones, the low-hanging fruit, and most likely on optimization which may not have been obvious to the testers. Remaining bugs will hopefully be addressed in future updates, and I'm sure Live 9.x will eventually be rock solid... just in time for buggy Live 10 to roll out. This is simply the nature of modern software development, and Ableton is no different than most corporations.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the final release version, bugs or no bugs.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Each new beta has a list of fixes... Each one has a least a few and some a bunch... Add up all the betas and that equals a whole lot of bugs fixed.

And of course, anyone can save their money and and stick with Live 8 if they are happy with it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”