What is the best buy for me?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks.Im building up my home studio.My question is :
It is better to buy something expensive for about 600euros like RME babyface or motu ultralight mk3 or something cheaper for my purpose?I will buy it with Installments and will pay it off in one year.I want something rock solid to last for years!
Things i need are:
Enough power at headphone output for my 250ohm beyerdynamic headphones.
Output for my monitors
good sound and build quality to last me for years.(i dont wanna upgrade in near future)
i will plug in only guitar in future and i wont record anything!
and i would like it to be portable too and usb not firewire.
I will buy it from friends shop so here is the best deals:
NI Kompete Audio 6 225 euro
Motu Microbook II 235 euro
Avid Mbox 3 404 euro
MOTU UltraLite mk3 500 euro
RME babyface 570 euro

My OS= Win7 64bit pro
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!

I got a presonus audiobox 22vsl for $200 usd, and I am very happy with it. Look at the I/o of the device you are interested in and make sure it fits your needs. That should help you narrow down your search (for example if you need 5.1 surround monitoring or whatever).

You can also look at specs but those can be manipulated easily so...

But there IS a difference so maybe you can test them out in person? I noticed a huge difference between my new card and my old m-audio firewire 410.

I have the Komplete Audio 6 and I'm very satisfied. Build quality is solid. I've had no problems even though I've been carrying it around in my backpack almost every day for more than a year.
The hi-z input for guitar works great. I use it with my Beyerdynamic dt770 80ohm. Great sound quality. The maximum headphone output is loud but not deafening. When I record vocals with direct monitoring, I often think that it would be nice if I could turn up the headphone output just a bit more.

JakobTK wrote:I have the Komplete Audio 6 and I'm very satisfied. Build quality is solid. I've had no problems even though I've been carrying it around in my backpack almost every day for more than a year.
The hi-z input for guitar works great. I use it with my Beyerdynamic dt770 80ohm. Great sound quality. The maximum headphone output is loud but not deafening. When I record vocals with direct monitoring, I often think that it would be nice if I could turn up the headphone output just a bit more.
If its not enough for dt 770 80ohm then it will be much worse for my dt 990 250ohm.so komplete 6 is not my choice in the end...:/
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!

You can get quality without spending as much
http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/communit ... 2i2-review

I have the Mbox Pro. It cost me around $800. It does sound great and I definitely can hear more detail than my EMU 1212m. I don't really record live with it so I often wondered if I could have just got by with a cheaper sound card.
It goes up to 192khz sample rate but that would require to much CPU power to run software synths. And some synths like Zebra won't work well at that sample rate. I try to run at 96 khz when possible.That was a couple years ago.

Today there may be cheaper audio interfaces that sound comparable in quality without the heavy price tag. 5 times the cost in price doesn't mean it sounds 5 times better. What is truly practical for your usage? How much are you willing to spend for the small differences?

Check out:

Steinberg UR22
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/au ... /ur22.html

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 from the post above.
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inter ... arlett-2i2

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”