A wavetable oscillator tutorial

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you, this was a good read. You should write your own DSP book cause you explain concepts better then most DSP books i have read.

akafurious wrote:Thank you, this was a good read. You should write your own DSP book cause you explain concepts better then most DSP books i have read.
Thank you...
My audio DSP blog: earlevel.com

I've posted an article with source code for creating wavetable oscillators from any single cycle waveform—time domain or frequency domain:

Replicating waveforms

This is in the from of utility code that creates all the bandwidth-reduced tables for the wavetable oscillator. So, you can create any (power-of-2 length) single-cycle waveform, without regards to aliasing, and it creates a wavetable oscillator that's alias-free at any audio frequency.

I posted a follow-up video, demonstrating the wavetable oscillator from the article series, both visually and audibly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k81hoZODOP0

A link to all the articles in the series:

http://www.earlevel.com/main/category/d ... &order=ASC

I haven't read this series, but when I wanted to bookmark it, I noticed I already have got your site in my list, after reading some of your entries on filtering: the DC filter was a bit of an eye opener, and "The bilinear z transform" summarized that topic very neatly. Good stuff!

Thanks!

BTW, I'm backlogged on almost-done articles, so expect new ones to be put up soon...

Nice work earlevel, you've managed to describe everything very simply :)

Looking forward to seeing more of these videos.

In my opinion a lot of intro DSP material is overly formal and more difficult to grasp than it needs to be. You're doing a great job of explaining this stuff in a simpler and more direct way. Please keep it up!

Excellent stuff. Thank you!
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

I write because when I was figuring this stuff out, there was no internet, and the text books were tough to read and didn't tell me what I wanted to know.
I realise that you were one of the engineers who have worked on a line6 product that I use (that can be seen from some of your other posts) and this is how you had started to learn this stuff... that's a tutorial/lesson in itself, thanks for posting.
~stratum~

The notes on truncated phasor vs. interpolation are really interesting. Overall i found your explanation for where all the numbers, the table sizes etc., come from very well presented and interesting. Thank you!

Thank you! This kind of free knowledge exchange is literally creating the future right now.

Thanks everyone, it really does make a big difference knowing that the article help some people. Sincerely.

I'm putting up a multipart tutorial, including code, on ADSR envelope generators. Way too many words for such a simple thing, maybe, but there were a lot of basic points I wanted to elaborate on. (I wrote most of it, and the code, about six months ago over the holidays, and it's taken this long for final editing...plus I kept thinking of other things I wanted to write about that moved ahead of it.) I've just about finished up all parts today, but I might do a quick video demonstration of ADSR to highlight a few things. The first installment is posted, and I suppose I'll finish and post one per day over the next few days, so the whole thing should be up shortly...

gosh i just found your blog this is sooo soo helpful ... such contributions makes me want to share solutions and experiences once i accomplished some solid useful code, still a newbie but once a veteran its time ... to give back.

thanks !!!

I started reading your stuff last summer, and it was a huge help to get me started understanding real-time audio programming.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”