Henry Olonga new release for Nebula - The console strip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nebula Presets | Nebulapresets

I may have lost my mind.

wow!!! impressive products and price!! thanks Henry!!

Also, ant news abut that Helios you got for Xmas?

It's here ready to be sampled - this will be part of my high end smaplings now. The amsp come first then the Hellios - sadly with all the file sharing going on even with my stupid low prices I have to make a few tiers in my shop so it will be persoanlised hand crafted set.

Hey guys,

21 new products have been added and this time the focus has been on Microphones and preamps. The star of the show is the HELIOS preamp 'Titan V2' which will be the start of a wonderful series of high quality emulation. It sounds gorgeous on vocals especially but can be used across amix.
I also launch my first Ambience and space related pack and this is the ambience that comes from a Yamaha piano. Just the ticket to add dimension to softsynth pianos.

To get an incredible deal of 50 % off all products, use the coupon below within the next two days -

march madness

For a quick glance at the most recent additions click on this link

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?page_id=2548

Otherwise browse the categories here

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product_c ... la-presets

Best wishes
H

Hey Henry,
I got one of the All You Can EAT collections around the New Year, and it's OVER THE TOP (but how could you not be aware!).

It's been a joy to re-assemble them in the original categories as you list them at the Nebula Presets site. There's a reason having to do with a library manager I'm testing (yes, that one, by yes, Z-man). :tu:

NOW, I know the ELITE version is possibly preferred, but still I want to know where the other TCS stuff goes.

Got a list for a sleuth who can't figure it out? :help:

henry olonga wrote: Nebula - dirt cheap - CPU hungry - space hungry - highly accurate.
well,it depends...
- Nebula is cheap, but only in case you dont need additional libraries - and collecting them is not cheap at all.../and btw: all factory libraries are not very interesting for me.../
- yes it is CPU hog, but thats not a big problem if it sounds good /and thats still the question for me/
- space is not a problem, but wasted space problem IS
- Nebula is NOT highly accurate for me /with the only exception of some eq models/...the fact is its even less accurate than average algo plugin of same type - especially when it comes to distortion and compression models...
one example: I have compared you sampled Fatman /saturation only/ with hardware recently and have to say that average saturator plugin like MSaturator most of the time sounds and behaves almost identically with hardware, while your sampled Fatman most of the time souds and behaves like completely different effect...
Im sorry for this criticism, maybe I only hear and appreciate different things... :shrug: I got Nebula from the very beginning and I have yet to find some library which will convince me to use it...

Hi kvaca,
I've spent some time with Nebula and have a few solutions to your reservations.

1. Nebula Reverbs are what take up hard drive space and high CPU. I recommend ditch those altogether.
2. Libraries: AlexB arguably has the best electronic finesse on the analog side, and the results are of course stunning. At his website I've downloaded 86 demo presets that are every bit as good as the paid stuff.
One night recently I checked the 3rd-party sites for free/demo Nebula presets, and this is what I was able to download:
AnalogInTheBox = at least 4 demos
Signal To Noise = at least 7 demos
Tim Petherick = at least 6 demos
Trancending Music = 1 free psychoacoustic panner
VNXT = 2 demos

- "Don't cost nothin'" - Bluto, Animal House

Henry Olonga did some rare microphones that AlexB didn't do, and while I can't think of free stuff Henry offers beyond static impulses, his prices are very low/reasonable and for instance a beautiful woofy U-67 (with that refined top end) at £1.50 is one of many breathtaking deals he offers.

Acesys wrote:Hi kvaca,
I've spent some time with Nebula and have a few solutions to your reservations.

1. Nebula Reverbs are what take up hard drive space and high CPU. I recommend ditch those altogether.
2. Libraries: AlexB arguably has the best electronic finesse on the analog side, and the results are of course stunning. At his website I've downloaded 86 demo presets that are every bit as good as the paid stuff.
One night recently I checked the 3rd-party sites for free/demo Nebula presets, and this is what I was able to download:
AnalogInTheBox = at least 4 demos
Signal To Noise = at least 7 demos
Tim Petherick = at least 6 demos
Trancending Music = 1 free psychoacoustic panner
VNXT = 2 demos

- "Don't cost nothin'" - Bluto, Animal House

Henry Olonga did some rare microphones that AlexB didn't do, and while I can't think of free stuff Henry offers beyond static impulses, his prices are very low/reasonable and for instance a beautiful woofy U-67 (with that refined top end) at £1.50 is one of many breathtaking deals he offers.
Hi Acesys
thanks but thats what I hear all the time: "try 3rd party libraries" and thats what Im exactly doing all the time with no luck to find something even remotely good to my ears...all the time I hear nothing diffrent when I compare Nebula processed to original digital audio...or differneces are so subtle /or almost inaudible/ that majority of people including me still cannot apreciate them...or simply the worst digital artifacts imaginable when Nebula is pushed harder which turns original pristine digital audio into crappy garbage...but completely different experience I have when using original hardware or good sounding modelling plugins...the more pushed the better given results...and thats what I call analogue sound...
and its sad that theres no reply from Mr Olonga, who knows best what exactly Im talking about in case of lack in Fatman sound...because Im sure the same lack is present in all Nebula libraries Ive tried so far and Im curious to know the reason of his statement about Nebula being "highly accurate" in modelling...
Last edited by kvaca on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Too often I hear audio recorded with horrible room artifacts: un-treated reverb, bad mic placement, bad mics and preamps for that matter. Like YouTube speeches from their phone cam or whatever. Nebula won't be much help after the fact.
Please allow me to pontificate just for a bit. The source (narration, instruments, band, you get the picture) has nothing to do with the final playback. The reason hardware exists has more to do with playback devices having uniform playback characteristics.

The cool thing is, back in the 60's and 70's, people either had a nice full-range stereo in the living room, headphones, or an AM radio with 1" speaker.

And companies emerged with compressors, limiters and everything else so the playback machines didn't crackle or sound too dissimilar.

Fast forward to the computer age, everyone still has a reasonable living room stereo, iPod headphones and 1" speaker monitors hooked up to the computer or within the laptop.

So all the equipment used in the first place is now virtualized (Nebula being one way to skin a cat) and can sound pretty good, depending on the source performance and acoustics captured in the first place. Win-win.

If you want a real neat test for Nebula, try some old Robert Johnson recordings. Regular digital EQs show their wimpiness like no other test. Then try Nebula. Really, most any preset will fatten it up, by way of comparison, satisfactorily.
-end of pontification- ( LOL )

As for Henry, sounds like he's a popular guy. His collection is insanely huge and I haven't heard everything in the All You Can Eat collection and it's been 3 1/2 months now! And as for Fatman, I don't' know if AlexB sampled that but if not we ought to beg him to try (that and Thermionic Culture Vulture).
Henry is good for finding the sounds you want; AlexB is best for a permanent capture. At least that's what I've found making A/B tests. Email AlexB and I will too.

Acesys wrote:Too often I hear audio recorded with horrible room artifacts: un-treated reverb, bad mic placement, bad mics and preamps for that matter. Like YouTube speeches from their phone cam or whatever. Nebula won't be much help after the fact.
but in my case this is irrelevant...
Acesys wrote: If you want a real neat test for Nebula, try some old Robert Johnson recordings. Regular digital EQs show their wimpiness like no other test. Then try Nebula. Really, most any preset will fatten it up, by way of comparison, satisfactorily.
as I have stated earlier I have no problems with accuracy of Nebula in case of replicating analogue equalizers /other than its limited to one band which effectively prevents me using it/ but I have great problem when somebody is speaking about Nebula high accuracy in case of distorting or compressing devices...and this is also true for all AlexB libraries...

Why don't you f**k off and rain on someone else's parade?
I mean, you're whining that Nebula doesn't nail a pro-sumer unit when even the UAD forums are full of people who can't make up their minds which emulation of serious consoles (etc) they like better, UAD or Nebula.

Acesys wrote:Why don't you f**k off and rain on someone else's parade?
I mean, you're whining that Nebula doesn't nail a pro-sumer unit when even the UAD forums are full of people who can't make up their minds which emulation of serious consoles (etc) they like better, UAD or Nebula.
calm down, Im not whining just surprised how it come that imperfection is still called "high accuracy" in all threads about Nebula from the very start...
I can accept that people like UAD or Nebula or any other console emus, its normal, but has nothing to do with my basic question: if Nebula cannot nail cheap consumer unit /which I can prove if needed/, how it can nail pro consoles better??... but please dont answer again, this question is not directed to users or fanatic lovers but to Nebula library devs...which Im afraid you arent :wink:

kvaca wrote:
Acesys wrote:Why don't you f**k off and rain on someone else's parade?
calm down, Im not whining just surprised how it come that imperfection is still called "high accuracy" in all threads about Nebula from the very start...
I can accept that people like UAD or Nebula or any other console emus, its normal, but has nothing to do with my basic question: if Nebula cannot nail cheap consumer unit /which I can prove if needed/, how it can nail pro consoles better??... but please dont answer again, this question is not directed to users or fanatic lovers but to Nebula library devs...which Im afraid you arent :wink:

the answer is incredibly easy. Nebula can NOT replicate all possible units.
Which brings an obvious consequence: a good library developer is experienced so
- he is able to sample things
- he is able to understand when things are not succesfully emulated
- he discards things which don't turn out well

and a couple of other things

- a thing could be released if it sounds good, sometimes it does not matter if the emulation is perfect
- a good library developer releases demos and graphs and much more
- he contacts me when something does not turn out good and we work on a solution if it is possible

and an other incredible condideration

- high-end gear is EASIER to reproduce than CHEAP gear. I can prove it in many ways. In general cheap gear reacts in randomic and dirty ways and it way more difficult to emulate properly.

as you can see, the fact that something does not turn out good does not mean anything.
Again:

- many nebula libraries are incredibly good. If you are looking for tools, you have them. Many libraries are pretty accurate, but it isn't so important. But please don't think even for a moment that other plugins are closer just because they use a different approach. Our method is sometimes more accurate because there is an huge community reporting bugs and inaccurate results, so we are constantly forced to improve our "general" approach. There are more 100.000 hours of sampling on nebula, and I think several millions of hours of comparison with real hardware (and dozens of thousands of emails received confirming things turned out in a good or in a bad way).
Hope it helps, now relax a bit

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote: Nebula can NOT replicate all possible units.
agreed, 100%correct answer and so rarely heard... :clap:
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote: -high-end gear is EASIER to reproduce than CHEAP gear.
really??
so why dont we have any realistic sounding hi-end guitar amps sampled??
and hi-end valve compressors...or high-end tape machines??
the whole truth is: Nebula is best at replicating hi-end gear which do almost nothing to the audio=the less of typical analogue artifacts are created the better Nebula emulation can be...
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote: - many nebula libraries are incredibly good.
can you name some most accurate of them? /but not those clean sounding, please/
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote: Many libraries are pretty accurate, but it isn't so important...
Our method is sometimes more accurate because there is an huge community reporting bugs and inaccurate results..
so actually it IS important...at least for me and your huge community :wink:
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote: Hope it helps, now relax a bit
yes sir, many thanks :party:

Hi all,

For the sake of completeness:

Third-party libs

AND

Nebula3, not -CM or -free or whatever...

To obtain good results for the more nonlinear stuff, you need more kernels (more terms in the truncated Volterra series expansion).

Regards,
Dave Clark

Return to “Effects”