New Psychic Modulation projects in the works...

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'll go ahead an mention what I'm up to before I get too wrapped up and everyone thinks I dropped off the planet. First off, of course, I'm planning another Phonec update. Not as big an update as the last, but basically to fulfill a few requests including an effect version that works in Cubase. I'm also considering some kind of patch randomization. Expect this in a few weeks at the latest.

A new drum synth is underway. I have not got a name for it yet, but it's gonna be a very usable drum machine. I'm not planning on it having any sequencers or any other bulk that might get in the way of practicality, this one focuses on sound above all. I wont reveal too much now, but will go into more detail eventually in a new thread.

And on the back burner I'm having ideas for a synth that can be thought of as Phonec's evil twin. Not sure where this one's headed, but I think it's gonna be weird...
Last edited by jack [psychicmodulation] on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Progress report:

Phonec v1.3:
Lot's of bugfixes are on the way. Pretty much if you've emailed me about it, it's getting fixed here. I'd like to release this by the weekend, but more realisticly it should be ready around the middle of March.

Drum machine:
This one's coming along great. I love the sound of the kick drum, it fit's perfectly in my own music. The structure is completely layed out, the GUI looks fantastic, all I'm really doing now is tightening up the drums and building it's character overall. And I'm still figuring out a name. I'll possibly release a beta shortly after the Phonec update release. I'm not sure about sequencers. Using Ableton, I tend to reach for drum machines without sequencers lately. Any thoughts?

FM experiment:
I was in need of a good FM synth the other night for a techno bassline, and realized I didnt have one. The only one's I could find were too complicated for quick results, so I threw one together and now I have a basic FM synth that I'd like to expand on. I'm thinking about calliing this one 'PsyOp'.

I'd like to get the phonec update when ready if I can.

Your drum/percussion plugins are unique in approach and sound, well thought out, and all-around innovative. Looking forward to seeing/hearing what you are up to with the new one. I would like to see one that has the ability to randomize as it plays if that's possible.

Good to see you're busy.

*Very* interested in your drum machine - Optic has been one of my secret weapons for many years. I'm also of the opinion that you don't need sequencers or any fluff - just decent sound generators is what makes a drum machine... they don't all need to be workstations!

Wow that some really great and exciting news ! Can't wait to discover what Psychic Modulation is cooking for us...An effect version of the phonec would be just awesome too ! Maybe it's a bit off of the topic but did you plan on adding a pitchwheel to the Dubtron ?

Endor-8o8 wrote:Wow that some really great and exciting news ! Can't wait to discover what Psychic Modulation is cooking for us...An effect version of the phonec would be just awesome too ! Maybe it's a bit off of the topic but did you plan on adding a pitchwheel to the Dubtron ?
I did, but kind of forgot about it. I'll try to squeeze a Dubtron update in after the Phonec update. And yes, this Phonec update will include an effect version.

wow! that are hot news for sure! :clap:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:Progress report:

Drum machine:
This one's coming along great. I love the sound of the kick drum, it fit's perfectly in my own music. The structure is completely layed out, the GUI looks fantastic, all I'm really doing now is tightening up the drums and building it's character overall. And I'm still figuring out a name. I'll possibly release a beta shortly after the Phonec update release. I'm not sure about sequencers. Using Ableton, I tend to reach for drum machines without sequencers lately. Any thoughts?
Seems like a drum synth solely directed toward creating new drum sounds is great.
If you need some preset design, please let me know :)

As for synths, I'd love to a granular synth from Psychicmodulation :)

I can't grasp the purpose of note sequencing in a drum machine. I see that as a DAW level task. Modulation sequencing OTOH is a great feature for any rhythm tool. Useful for polyrhythms and evolving patterns. That stuff is more time consuming and brain melting applied as DAW automation than as an integrated feature.

abstractcats wrote:

Drum machine:
Seems like a drum synth solely directed toward creating new drum sounds is great.

I surely will need presets and I will let you know.

A granular synth would be cool, maybe I can incorporate that idea into something.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

theodore_whitmore wrote:I can't grasp the purpose of note sequencing in a drum machine. I see that as a DAW level task. Modulation sequencing OTOH is a great feature for any rhythm tool. Useful for polyrhythms and evolving patterns. That stuff is more time consuming and brain melting applied as DAW automation than as an integrated feature.
Well I'm glad so many of us are on the same page about this. I just notice every new drum machine has a sequencer, but I guess it's really just a selling point. When I made Cerebrum, I really thought the sequencers would make it more useful. But to be honest, when I'm making music, they always seemed more difficult to integrate into an arrangement properly. Half the time I bounce down my track and work with the loop because it's easier to move around. Sequencers can be good for quick beats, like in a dj setup, but for production I always reach for a simple drum module.

I like the modulation concept! It might be a good idea to put some LFOs on each drum to get some integrated movement. This might actually be a fantastic idea, I'll work with this.

Thanks for your input :)

I can assist with additional presets if needed.
If not, looking forward to playing with demo if there is one.

Musical Gym wrote:I can assist with additional presets if needed.
If not, looking forward to playing with demo if there is one.
I will let you know Jim :)

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
abstractcats wrote:

Drum machine:

I surely will need presets and I will let you know.

A granular synth would be cool, maybe I can incorporate that idea into something.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Groovy 8)

A public beta of the new drum machine is on the way.
See thread below for screenshot:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 39#5362339

Return to “Psychic Modulation”