live 9 (?) problem with plugin windows not appearing

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm having a problem with all my u-he plugins where sometimes, when I drag an audio unit in from the live 9 browser, the plugin window doesn't appear and nothing I've been able to figure out gets it to appear. The plugins work in terms of responding to input, or at least zebra2 did with the init patch. This seems to be specific to a particular instantiation of the program -- if I restart live, it might work again, and if it does then I have no problems until I restart live. When I have this problem and load an existing live set already has a u-he plugin in it, the existing plugin windows can be made to appear, and I can actually get a working plugin by copying one of the existing ones.

I've had this problem with zebra2, uhbik, and mfm (I don't own any of the others), only in AU. VST always works. I haven't had this problem with other audio units (in instances of live where I have had this issue, I have tested the apple ones, a few NI synthesizers, fabfilter pro-c, and I think I tested alchemy, so a reasonably broad sample, but by no means exhaustive.)

I'm guessing this must be a live 9 thing, because, well, major live upgrades = weirdness, and I've not had this problem with live 8 (or found any mention of it on ableton's forum or here). However, I should say that I upgraded practically everything at once -- new mac mini with a clean slate user directory, new version of live, current versions of all my plugins that I hadn't updated (on my old computer) in ~6 months or longer, so it is possible the cause might be elsewhere. If it is relevant, I did have live 8 on the computer before upgrading but I had not installed any plugins at all on this computer until after the update.

Edit: os x 10.8.2, 32 bit live.

Anyone have any ideas of workarounds or how to further isolate the problem? It is fairly annoying in virtue of its randomness.
Last edited by tylenol on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think (in the past) the issue has been with having both VST and AU versions installed with u-he plugs.

I've stuck to just having VSTs active in Live 9 and haven't had this problem since then.

I have Live 9 and use u-he synths all the time... I almost always use the AU version and never have this trouble. Are you using Live 64 bit or 32? I am using 32

System version?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

It is os x 10.8.2, with 32 bit live.

And I can't seem to get this to happen on demand, at least this evening, so there might be some specific precondition I can't replicate.

tylenol wrote:It is os x 10.8.2, with 32 bit live.

And I can't seem to get this to happen on demand, at least this evening, so there might be some specific precondition I can't replicate.

I'm still on 10.6.8

i'm on 10.8.2 and I find that Live 9 (x64) never shows GUIs on first load for some reason. I use VSTs not AUs though. Not sure if it is related?

EDIT: my bad, was an option in preferences. sorry bout that

I encourage everybody to check out the public betas of the u-he plugins:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372772
I can't reproduce any of these problems here on OSX 10.8.2 in Live 9.0.1 32bit or 64bit using AU and VST extensively.

Return to “u-he”