Which package for classic symphony orchestra instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While Garritan Personal Orchestra is pretty complete, it's difficult to make it sound good: the samples are dry, and one dynamic level only. If you want all instruments, many articulations, cheap, decent sound out of the box: EWQLSO Gold. If you're on a PC, of course. On a mac, its performance is lackluster.

Mind you: it might sound good out of the box, it's still hard to build a convincing orchestral sound with it. If you want that, Albion and the other "ensemble" libraries are easier, but don't offer as much control.

any thoughts on Synful Orchestra?

Everglide wrote:any thoughts on Synful Orchestra?
Very much not a fan. Requires, IMHO, an insane amount of work to try and sound any good.

Had it. Confused by it. Stopped using it.

Mike

doesn't east west have a solo violin for like $100?

Mike, if you still own a license I'd gladly take it off your hands for the right price.

Everglide wrote:Mike, if you still own a license I'd gladly take it off your hands for the right price.
Alas it was an NFR - not allowed to sell it.

Sorry.

Mike

FLWrd wrote:While Garritan Personal Orchestra is pretty complete, it's difficult to make it sound good: the samples are dry, and one dynamic level only. If you want all instruments, many articulations, cheap, decent sound out of the box: EWQLSO Gold. If you're on a PC, of course. On a mac, its performance is lackluster.

Mind you: it might sound good out of the box, it's still hard to build a convincing orchestral sound with it. If you want that, Albion and the other "ensemble" libraries are easier, but don't offer as much control.
This.

I love everything about the theoretical approach in the way GPO is designed, and you CAN get very expressive performances out of the instruments, but it takes proper arranging skills and a heck of a lot of MIDI CC programming. Just using the basic note velocity and modwheel controls doesn't make it all happen.

So, no instant symphonic gratification really: More for a) already experienced arrangers who have the time and b) full-time students of classical music than casual hobbyists or music producers who needs results fast.
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

Also, bear in mind, with GPO, you're comparing a $150-ish, <2gb library (installed) to libraries several times the price and footprint. I use it frequently, and find it to be tremendous bang for the buck.
A good reverb helps a lot, too.
That said, when $ allows, i'll gradually migrate to the vsl stuff, appassionata strings will be first.

Also, as others have noted...no matter what library you end up using, it's going to take some tweaking and good arrangement to make it sound "real". Sampled acoustic instruments + midi rarely equals "instant gratification".

RuddyNuisance wrote: I need high quality instruments for a classical symphony orchestra. I've already spent a lot of time with Reaper putting together symphonic pieces, now it's time to make them sound good.

[...]

Essentially, I need individual (solo) violins and flutes, violin ensembles, horns, clarinets (two types, not sure what they're called in English), and most standard orchestra instruments. Imagine having to create a piece by Tchaikovsky or one of those chaps with virtual instruments, and the result shouldn't sound different to a real orchestra.

It doesn't have to be for free - if it's good, I don't mind paying for it.

Suggestions would be very welcome - I'm at a loss what to buy here.
As an alternative, you may want to try out the additional libraries for Independence by Magix. They're relatively cheap and, as far as I know, of good or very good quality. I'm using Miroslav myself, but am considering switching to something else, since the Miroslav samples seem a bit too "lifeless" to me.

I'm not sure, however, whether the "Symphonic Orchestra" contains an English horn. If you want to make sure, just send an email to the Magix support.

http://pro.magix.com/de/independence-in ... .1001.html

I have the independence symphonic orchestra. It does indeed have english horn.
If memory serves, the independence library is a Kirk Hunter variant thing.

also, if you buy the orchestra, you can use it in independence free...so you don't have to shell out for pro.

kell

Hi guys,
I'm new here and appreciate your suggestions.

I am planning to purchase brass and woodwinds for my Kontakt.
At this stage I am considering:

Cinebrass Core vs BML Horns 1
Berlin Woodwinds vs Westwood Modular vs BML Flute Consort

Already have 8dioboe, Claire Oboe and Claire Bassoon from 8dio so can implement these into woodwinds section (Don't really want to double too many instruments which would possibly happen with BWW but apparently 8dio's are more 'solo' quality comparing to 'ensemble' sound of BWW.

Honestly Cinebrass vs BML Horns are my biggest conundrum.

FYI I have Vir2 Elite Orchestral Percussion and LASS2 FC+Lite to complete my orchestral template.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.
Peter

If you're trying to decide between Cinebrass Core and Spitfire BML Horns that's easy. Get Cinebrass. BML Horns is only horns. Cinebrass has trumpets, a few different sections of horns, a bunch of low brass. It has a nice array. And the polyphonic legato is great. The BML stuff is excellent, they also have the low brass. But they haven't finished the brass yet.

eh i cant afford the better quality ones ; another time perhaps. On an unrelated note, The cheap fake Pizzicato if general midi banks was awesome in the 90s wasnt it, as its own thing not meant to sound close. real or fake sounding, a pizz is an intensely green sound

Return to “Instruments”