Tokyo Dawn Labs - Feedback Compressor 1.0.0 release!

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox wrote:You know what would be great? If the compressor could be setup to "feed forward" or "feed back". Much like the old reaComp by Cockos.
Much like a Portico :)

F.

Give us the beta NOW. don't pack it... just send us the code ! :D
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Happy new year Fabien, I'm eagerly waiting for your next releases.

Tp3 wrote:Give us the beta NOW. don't pack it... just send us the code ! :D
Doing the best I can!

About a FB/FF switch, I have a half dozen plug-ins in the work, patience please :)
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote:
Tp3 wrote:Give us the beta NOW. don't pack it... just send us the code ! :D
Doing the best I can!
Was kidding, of course... :)

Take care :tu:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Holy cow, Fabien. :hihi: Your plans sound absolutely great! I didn't expect an answer like that. Thank you! Very comprehensible. You've got a nice rack of tools, too. I could live with an STC-8 very comfortably. If I could only have 1 for every buss... audio nirvana. :D Actually not entirely, since I like the dirty and pumping machines, too. If I could just have a bunch of those and an STC-8, that would be fun, and GML for the master buss. :lol:

I look forward to testing what you come up with. There are lots of great ideas in what you said.

edit: For example, I like the crest factor idea quite a lot. Oh, and thank you for considering the "mono" version of a mix comp! :tu:

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

WoWsa Fabien! Extremely exciting news! Thank you my dear Sir. It takes a lot for me to be excited about a compressor but your work is outstanding!
I'm a fan! Greg

wooo. excited about your plans for new plugs.

FabienTDR wrote:Clean, accurate and aliasing free compression can actually sound fat and crispy like nothing else. :)
big fat +1

clean compression = the punchiest. distortion reduces punch (but can be great for other things)

man i love this compressor just wish it had a external sidechain!
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Hey @midnight, version II is available here: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor-2/ ;)

I know :)

just wanted to quote what you wrote because i think its important.

people can get caught up in the marketing "analog modeled, distortion,etc.." but a lot of the time, the punchiest sound comes from the cleanest, non distorted compression.

thanks for these great plugins!
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I agree. "Colour" tools have their uses, too. But only transparency really guarantees great flexibility (as a tool).

And for the mastering use-case, it's important to consider an important effect: Many musician/producers are familiar with the concept of harmonic distortion. And after all, the term sounds sexy, right? :)

Well, an often overseen details is that the concept of harmonic distortion is purely theoretical in the context of complex signals such as music. As soon the input contains more than one frequencies (which is always the case for music), any harmonic distortion will appear "paired" with equivalent intermodulation distortion (unharmonic sum and difference products). The more frequencies in the original signal and the stronger the non-linearity, the more IM is produced. In the case of mastering, it's important to minimize any source of "harmonic distortion", because for complex signals, the distortion won't be very harmonic at all (even if we consider a 100% aliasing free non-linearity).

FabienTDR wrote: Well, an often overseen details is that the concept of harmonic distortion is purely theoretical in the context of complex signals such as music. As soon the input contains more than one frequencies (which is always the case for music), any harmonic distortion will appear "paired" with equivalent intermodulation distortion (unharmonic sum and difference products). The more frequencies in the original signal and the stronger the non-linearity, the more IM is produced. In the case of mastering, it's important to minimize any source of "harmonic distortion", because for complex signals, the distortion won't be very harmonic at all (even if we consider a 100% aliasing free non-linearity).
Very interesting. With that being the case I assume that means you prefer to add distortion/saturation on individual tracks versus on bus processing, to achieve a more musical sound with less IM?

yes, exactly. Or at least only on narrow bands (or multi-bands).

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”