How much time does it take you to produce a sound library?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a question for all the sound loops producers on the forum. I've just finished a 260 sample loop library to be released soon and it took me around three months to produce!! :shock: It shows in the final product though, everything sounds very good! :) So I wonder, how much time does it take you to produce a loop library or a Kontakt instrument? Do you spend 10-12 hours of sampling work a day for several months to make it?
Last edited by SampleScience on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a piece of string is how long?

Single shot drum samples. Four kits, about 6000 samples. I'm remapping them from scratch, multi-velocity layers, trying to decipher the normalised levels based on the noise floor... I've been at it since last October and I'm not half way through yet.

pljones wrote:Single shot drum samples. Four kits, about 6000 samples. I'm remapping them from scratch, multi-velocity layers, trying to decipher the normalised levels based on the noise floor... I've been at it since last October and I'm not half way through yet.
You're courageous!

I'm working on a drum rack for Live atm. Spent around 5 hours recording 4-5 layers of each drum/cymbal, then another 12 hours editing the recordings. Next step is velocity mapping each sample into a rack full of Simplers. Should be another 6-10 hours work. Then artwork, webpage, uploading samples. Could be a month from start to finish.

Hi Samplescience,

I work on doing sample / loop libraries for a well known company.
That sounds about right ... Nowadays I seem to work a bit faster than that, it took me about 2,5 months to produce a library that has over 300 loops and over 200 one shots. It's really hard work (one doesn't realize it before trying to do a loop library) and it's more a labour of love most of the times ;) Of course maintaining high standards still, for this library I worked like a dog and didn't have much social life. Fortunately it seems to be doing well.

And one shouldn't forget that it's creative work too, sometimes things are just not flowing and sometimes you make lots of loops in one afternoon!
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

penguinfromdeep wrote:And one shouldn't forget that it's creative work too, sometimes things are just not flowing and sometimes you make lots of loops in one afternoon!
Very true! Sometimes the creative juice is there, other times it's not there! It is harder to make a loop library than it looks!

What is the sample company you are working for? (If you can tell us) :)

It depends on the scope. Usually it takes me 2-5 months to produce a Kontakt library, but it's not necessarily working every day 8 hours a day, since some tasks require waiting on other people to finish (art, editing, etc) not to mention beta feedback.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

I've had some sample libraries take me a month or so and others over 6 months and really technical looped libraries take me more than a year!

PRIZM took me 3 years to create.

Mike

I'm still mucking around with voice samples done in one of our older silos here... :x :x
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

thecontrolcentre wrote:I'm working on a drum rack for Live atm. Spent around 5 hours recording 4-5 layers of each drum/cymbal, then another 12 hours editing the recordings. Next step is velocity mapping each sample into a rack full of Simplers. Should be another 6-10 hours work. Then artwork, webpage, uploading samples. Could be a month from start to finish.
Ok. .. I spent another 2 evenings mapping the Resonator samples, as well as 2 snare drums and 3 cymbals, and a set of high hats. That's another 12 hours work. Got to do demos, artwork and web site next. It's all go.

All software and sample thief's should read this !

I have made around 50 patches now for Alchemy that follows all the Camel Audio specs. about 8 patch variations and so on...
I don't even want to think about how many ours i have spend on this !
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

olepro wrote:All software and sample thief's should read this !

I have made around 50 patches now for Alchemy that follows all the Camel Audio specs. about 8 patch variations and so on...
I don't even want to think about how many ours i have spend on this !
I understand! :lol:

thecontrolcentre wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I'm working on a drum rack for Live atm. Spent around 5 hours recording 4-5 layers of each drum/cymbal, then another 12 hours editing the recordings. Next step is velocity mapping each sample into a rack full of Simplers. Should be another 6-10 hours work. Then artwork, webpage, uploading samples. Could be a month from start to finish.
Ok. .. I spent another 2 evenings mapping the Resonator samples, as well as 2 snare drums and 3 cymbals, and a set of high hats. That's another 12 hours work. Got to do demos, artwork and web site next. It's all go.
I spent around 4 hours last night designing a web page and making a demo for the Resonator pack, then another 2 hours today writing blurb and uploading all the files. After that I added it to the KVR data base and submitted it as a news item, which took another hour or so.

I make that around 36 hours working time to turn out a 46MB Drum Rack which I hope to sell for $5.00 a time. That means to pay myself minimum wage (UK) for the hours I put in, I need to sell 72 copies of this pack, which is highly unlikely tbh.

:help:

If you compare the working effort (time) to purchases (money), how much do you get per hour? :?:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”