iGrand Piano for iPad is Now Available

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While that issue is not unique to our apps, I know that there are some background audio changes being made in the upcoming update too so that may be some good news.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:While that issue is not unique to our apps, I know that there are some background audio changes being made in the upcoming update too so that may be some good news.
Great news!!!

Can't wait for the update!

I am currently in the process of preparing a YouTube review of this application and in digging through the application's files, have learned a few things which people here may be interested to know.

Although it is advertised as offering eight sampled pianos by default after purchase and more available via in-app purchase, these are in fact merely differently mastered versions of four sampled pianos (two grands, two uprights).

The four libraries range from 50MB-70MB in size and consist of a Yamaha U3 (upright), a Steinway D (grand), an unidentified Kawai upright and a Yamaha C3 (grand). As for the number of velocity layers they possess and whether they were sampled chromatically, I can not determine (and IK will not tell me).

I hope this information is of help to somebody. :3

Wow! Thanks for the information. That WAS helpful. Do you know which pianos inside the app use which samples? I had thought it was maybe one grand, one upright, one baby grand they sampled and tweaked the EQ and such to offer a different take on the sound (classic, rock, etc.). You can hear this if you find a sample with an anomaly, you can switch to another piano sound and hear the same problem.

I really like iGrand. The pianos sound great and are a joy to play. I have not run across any odd sounding samples that really stick out to me yet and use it all the time at home and live. Whereas with SampleTank, there were some velocity levels in certain ranges where the sound became thin, or has a high-pitched artifact. iGrand isn't completely perfect, but nothing has jumped out to me that would prevent me from using it as a solo piano.

This is amazing for the price. What I'd like to see added is more tweaking options. Mainly, more EQ options and an enhanced reverb/ambience.

Please let us know when you get your review up. I'd like to see/hear your opinions.

Yes. Through further examination of the files, I have also been able to determine the number of velocity layers and the sampling technique used.

There are four layers, beginning at MIDI intensity values of 40, 80, 100 and 127 (the Kawai only has three at 25, 90 and 127). The samples are in AIF (Lossless) format but were not sampled chromatically. It turns out that the Kawai is in fact a GE-30 baby grand and not an upright.

As for which piano corresponds with which library, here is a complete list.

Grand Piano 1 -> Steinway D
Classical Piano 1 -> Steinway D
Jazz Piano 1 -> Steinway D
Rock Piano 1 -> Steinway D
Octave Piano -> Steinway D
Rich Upright -> Yamaha U3
Jazz Upright -> Yamaha U3
Rock Upright -> Yamaha U3
Soft Upright -> Yamaha U3
Baby Grand -> Kawai GE-30
Bright Baby Grand -> Kawai GE-30
Pop Baby Grand -> Kawai GE-30
Classical Baby Grand -> Kawai GE-30
Grand Piano 2 -> Yamaha C3
Mellow Grand 2 -> Yamaha C3
Rock Piano 2 -> Yamaha C3
Saloon Piano -> Yamaha U3
Grammophone Upright -> Yamaha U3

So in order to have access to the Yamaha C3, you need to unlock it via in-app purchase.

> So in order to have access to the Yamaha C3, you need to unlock it via in-app purchase.

As I was reading your descriptions I was thinking exactly that. I really like the Yamaha feel and sound. Thank you so much for all the work you have done. Now I know the difference between the two grands. I don't have the in-app purchase yet, but you have let me know what I'm missing. Thanks again.

No problem at all. :3

My review will be online at the URL below in a couple of hours.

http://youtu.be/VPrK_mkRrbg

I'm thinking about buying iGrand Piano for my wife to run on her iPhone (and connect to a full-sized piano controller.)

I'd also like to be able to run it on my iPad 3, but I'm not interested in buying the iPad version as well. Since an iPad can run iPhone software (but not vice-versa), it seems like buying the iPhone version makes the most sense.

Running a smaller GUI in 2x mode on my iPad doesn't really bother me, but are there any differences between the two versions related to the sound itself? I.E. Is the polyphony the same, sample quality, etc?

If they are basically identical aside from the interface, then this is the route I'll go.

audiob0t wrote:I'm thinking about buying iGrand Piano for my wife to run on her iPhone (and connect to a full-sized piano controller.)

I'd also like to be able to run it on my iPad 3, but I'm not interested in buying the iPad version as well. Since an iPad can run iPhone software (but not vice-versa), it seems like buying the iPhone version makes the most sense.

Running a smaller GUI in 2x mode on my iPad doesn't really bother me, but are there any differences between the two versions related to the sound itself? I.E. Is the polyphony the same, sample quality, etc?

If they are basically identical aside from the interface, then this is the route I'll go.
Sample quality is the same, polyphony will depend on the device. Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

Tried the iGrand free: Liked the sound so much I bought the app. I just want to ask when will AudioBus arrive? And can the adverts, that appear when I start the app, be removed. It seems very unusual / unfair to have adverts, considering I've already paid for the app. Thanks.

iGrand Piano will be compatible with Audiobus soon, we have iGrand Piano and iLectric Piano up next for Audiobus from what I'm told. Thank you for your input on the in-app messaging I will relay your concerns.

AudioBus will really make iGrand Piano a part of my iOS studio set up. Great. And thanks for the speedy reply.

Great! Thanks for the heads up. It's the main app I've been waiting for so I can add effects live using Audiobus.

No problem, guys. I just don't know exactly when and those particulars yet but I will keep you posted.

---We need to have a user preset area where we can store modifications to the patches. I'll buy the acoustic and electric pianos when that's available...

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”