Did KVR Scare the Reaper Peeps Away?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i've been using reaper live with a yamaha wx5 windsynth:

http://youtu.be/l5ar_3nGx2w

it's been rock solid and tons of fun. the limitations i mention in the video were solved by their forum users such as macros selecting tracks over 99 which just needed a script.

and now i have keys assigned to select reverb preset on the fly and stuff like that.

i doubt the reaper programmers had anything like this setup in mind, but damn it works really well. i really doubt it could be done this well in any other host. when i started moving from my ealier nuendo setup to this i was thinking about trying studio one also but that really faded when this came together and i saw all that could be done.

Hink wrote: All of this unfortunately are the spoils of the internet, fanbois, haters and trolls just looking for battlefields. They come in, stir things up and then leave where they watch the carnage from afar pointing at and mocking KvR*.
I been guilty of this, but not in the case of KVR but Reaper. I would drop a bomb in a thread in a heartbeat to get a rise out of hibidy. I really liked his come back's.

I think the real problem lies not with Reaper but some rabid fanboism displayed when it comes to someone claiming an un-truism when trying to debate whether Reaper can do what it can for other's seeking info on whether to adopt Reaper as their preferred platform.

Reaper does everything necessary and just as great as any platform on the table bar none. It's the Fanbois that detract from that fact and could be said of all fanaticism in general.

CTStump wrote:
Hink wrote: All of this unfortunately are the spoils of the internet, fanbois, haters and trolls just looking for battlefields. They come in, stir things up and then leave where they watch the carnage from afar pointing at and mocking KvR*.
I been guilty of this, but not in the case of KVR but Reaper. I would drop a bomb in a thread in a heartbeat to get a rise out of hibidy. I really liked his come back's.

I think the real problem lies not with Reaper but some rabid fanboism displayed when it comes to someone claiming an un-truism when trying to debate whether Reaper can do what it can for other's seeking info on whether to adopt Reaper as their preferred platform.

Reaper does everything necessary and just as great as any platform on the table bar none. It's the Fanbois that detract from that fact and could be said of all fanaticism in general.
please note that I said it's not just Reaper, you see I dont argue which hosts are the best :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
CTStump wrote:

please note that I said it's not just Reaper, you see I dont argue which hosts are the best :shrug:
I know, I was coming clean with myself, part of the rehabilitation process.

Didn't mean to single you out, just a portion that was relevant to me.

No harm done I hope. :?

CTStump wrote:
Hink wrote:
CTStump wrote:

I know, I was coming clean with myself, part of the rehabilitation process.

Didn't mean to single you out, just a portion that was relevant to me.

No harm done I hope. :?
of course not :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

LawrenceF wrote:Did the past implication that every DAW question on KVR gets answered with "Reaper" drive the Reaper fans away? :hihi: It's a little strange that Reaper added Elastic Audio markers in it's recent update, a rather large feature and a 5-6 year old feature request, and nobody has even mentioned it here yet.

Is this the new bizarro world KVR where everything is opposite of the regular space time dimension? :lol:
Cool!

CTStump wrote: I been guilty of this, but not in the case of KVR but Reaper. I would drop a bomb in a thread in a heartbeat to get a rise out of hibidy. I really liked his come back's.
Really, people still gotta worry about getting a rise out of me hun? I guess I should feel honored. But instead it just really makes me more and more detached.

Gospel is there all playing with the new Flstudio performance mode. shhhh let sleeping dogs lie .

Ch00rD wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:Yes. I have a White MacBook and when I was flipping back and forth with Bootcamp a lot I bought Screenflow. It's a really great application, and it's a good deal less expensive than Camtasia. :(

And to your point (at least back then when I was doing both), yes, OSX core audio seemed to handle all of that a lot better than Windows audio. I haven't tried Camtasia on Mac but I would guess that it maybe also works a little better on OSX for that kinda thing.

Anyway, back on topic... Reapers "stretch markers" work really well. Good for Cokcos.
Yeah, Core Audio is a pretty awesome framework. And so is Core MIDI. But the other part of it is that Telestream are top class at their stuff; Screenflow is arguably just their cheap consumer grade spin-off product. ;)
And as for pricing, again: for audio workflows, just use the demo. And perhaps find out why it's worth buying for all the rest - or not.
CoreAudio is same thing as ASIO. Light Peak, Thunderbolt... No, it even lacks feature...

I must admit, I fired up the Reaper demo earlier today out of morbid curiosity, and I'm really impressed. It took a bit of fumbling around the interface, but I love the fact you can customize most any part of the interface to suit your workflow.

I can see some really cool possibilities rewiring Numerology in to it. :)
Ableton/Propellerheads/Cockos Reaper/Logic/Renoise/U-He/Tone2/NI/DiscoDSP/Fabfilter/Xils Lab/Reveal Sound/112dB

I'm still here!

I just tried Sonar x2 and studio 1 (again) and although they look nice and some features look great, I just can't handle the navigation. Reapers navigation is just so quick and set how I want because of settings you can customise.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

CTStump wrote:Reaper does everything necessary and just as great as any platform on the table bar none.
It is. The recurring debates about all that always come down to personal preference and/or out of context disucssions about potential new features.

For the most part, if you can't close you eyes and point towards a group of most modern workstations, open your eyes, learn and use whatever you pointed to, and use it to make good music, it's you, not the workstation. :) The blind choice may not be the subjective "most comfortable for your singular personal preferences" item, but they all work, with no exceptions. All the way down to Acid Express.

How well - subjectively - they're perceived to work is highly dependent on how you work and how you prefer to work and what that "work" actually is.

As I am prone to saying, any $70-80 workstation of today is a miles better product than something like Cubase VST 32 or PT 3 from some years ago... which of course ... many professionals were using to make great music with.

But one thing is true of humans, no matter what we get we alway want "more". :hihi:

And of course, many humans also seem to want whatever they choose and like to be perceived as "the best". :)

noiseprovesnothing wrote:I must admit, I fired up the Reaper demo earlier today out of morbid curiosity, and I'm really impressed. It took a bit of fumbling around the interface, but I love the fact you can customize most any part of the interface to suit your workflow.
With REAPER you can customize nearly everything! OTOH I'm not a fan of customizing a DAW for weeks just to suit my workflow. I want to start it, choose a skin or a template and make music with it...maybe I'm too impatient.

But recently I set different colors for my synth group, my drum group, my vocal group and my FX group and so on -- guess what, it really helped me to get a better workflow!

After tinkering with it all night, I'll submit the lack of CPU hit is a nice thing as well. The only thing nicer than Diva's 3 oscillators screaming away monophonic is Diva's 3 oscillators screaming a six note chord. :)
Ableton/Propellerheads/Cockos Reaper/Logic/Renoise/U-He/Tone2/NI/DiscoDSP/Fabfilter/Xils Lab/Reveal Sound/112dB

I just found out today that Reaper can handle multiple Docker windows, so now I can have my FX browser always open and drag all the little darlings right onto the Mixer... gad, how I love that program. And as you can see, I also use colors for groups, really helps. :)
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”