Need help with Samplitude Music Studio 2013

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello to you all,

I have read various posts on the forum (one even recently) about the program Samplitude. I'm very curious so i decided to try the cheaper version that I can afford ... ;-)

I bought it, then, Samplitude Music Studio 2013 and, in general, I can say that it works very well and did not give me any particular problems. I'm still trying to learn all the features that interest me with the help of the manual but there is one feature that I just cannot figure out... I therefore, would like to ask a humbly help to those of you who are familiar with Samplitude.

I want to import a midi file that complies with the General MIDI standard, in particular, are italian pop songs of famous artists like Mina, Battisti etc. files that are freely available on the web; in other programs that i own (Cubase Elements 6, for example), you just have to import the file into the arrangement window to see the project ready with all the General Midi sounds already assigned the various tracks, thank to Halion SE.

I would like to do the same thing, if possible, in Music Studio but all I managed to do so far is to see imported just a single track in the arrangement of Music Studio, one track with all the midi data of the various tracks (this if i create a new vip)... If i try to import the same midi file in a blank project (right after the program launch) what i see is... An empty arrangement view with just few markers !

Could you please help me? To sum up what I would do is:

1-import a midi file into the window arrangement with the tracks already divided based on how was created the original file (a track for bass, a track for drums, a track for piano etc. etc.)

2-assign automatically (or manually) the right sounds to different tracks through plugins (the bundled Vita, Yellow Tools or external VSTi)

3-play the file with the right sounds and then edit and ri-arrange it with the midi functions of Music Studio

I hope I was understandable exposing my question and thank you in advance for your kindness :-)

I dont know about your version but on pro x you get a dialog box

As for the instruments I think this depends on what you are using to play the sounds and not the host. I went forward and opened the above example and the organ was indeed an organ tone using the microsoft gs wave table synth.

I dont know if this will help you or not, perhaps it's more of a confirmation that you can do this in pro x...:)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Also in ProX you can 'de mix' MIDI files into separate instruments per track -mostly by channel - which you then map to whichever instrument you want.
This works well with GM MIDI files. I've used it before.
But I presume they don't have this feature in the Studio version maybe?

G

Hi Hink and siriusbliss and thank you very much for your kind help !!!

I just think you're putting me on the right track ...

Samplitude Pro X is definitely a great daw but very expensive ... For my needs (pop songs in 60/70 style, few tracks) for now, at least, Music Studio seems more than enough ...

The midi import dialog box is similar in Music Studio to the one in Samplitude Pro but there's no checkbox about "Create new track...".

Anyway, i've found a trick to import midi tracks the way i want it: i must create some emtpty midi tracks before the import dialog; but, there's a problem: after the import, all the tracks seems to be tied togheter so, i believe, i've to find what siriusbliss told me but i don't know where to search for this option !

Definitively, don't buy this software if you don't like menus !!!

I had the same problem with Samplitude Music Studio 2013 when it came to imported midi files.

I found the solution just by messing around. Just select all the tracks that are glued together and then go to the "Object" tab, then select "Groups" and then "Ungroup Objects." Done! All the tracks/objects are now going to be separated.

What happens in Music Studio when you drag-n-drop the MIDI object onto the track?

G

In Samplitude Music Studio 2013, when I imported a multitrack midi file I had made with a Cubase Elements 6 demo, I had a situation in which the tracks were tied/glued together.

The midi file had 5 or 6 tracks and I was able to set up different instrument tracks (piano, synth etc..). But the problem came when I tried editing/selecting sections of those tracks. If I selected a section of track 1 (only track 1,with the lasso tool), for example, all the other tracks were also selected in the same range. Basically all the tracks were tied up or glued together. I think "grouped" is the right term under Music Studio.

After messing with the menu (I only got Samplitude Music Studio 2013 a few days ago) I found the option under the Object tab which allowed me to "Ungroup" all the selected tracks and make them separate and allow editing of individual tracks/objects.

I don't know if Music Studio has a "de mix" option. I'm not advanced enough with the software to know it but the PDF manual doesn't talk about the situation (glued tracks) I encountered with an imported multitrack midi file.

The PDF manual doesn't say much about imported midi files, just basic instructions on how to load a midi file.

One thing that Samplitude Music Studio 2013 doesn't have when importing multitrack midi files is the "Create new Tracks (in Multi Track case)" option in the dialog box that Hink shows on this thread. Also the two options are different: Music Studio says "All MIDI tracks into one VIP track" and "Each MIDI track into one VIP track."

Well, it seems Samplitude Pro X is better in many ways (probably far better in many, many ways), but then again it's $500 vs $100 for Samplitude Music Studio 2013. :wink:

Jermusic wrote: I found the solution just by messing around. Just select all the tracks that are glued together and then go to the "Object" tab, then select "Groups" and then "Ungroup Objects." Done! All the tracks/objects are now going to be separated.
Please! Let me suck your ****! Thank you very much!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”