East Coast Mainline (ElectroProg - Seismic Locomotive)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

13 hours to record in August 2010, the May 2013 edit/remix/master took 10 hours, a large percentage of which was spent tweaking the percussion. I hit -8dB pre-master on here.

Updated 20210821: mp3 link removed

on SoundCloud at 320Kbps:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/east-coast-mainline

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.3/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7beta/EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks3

Microtrance
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
ZebraCM
Dragon II
Amphetamine
Cubix
Or2v
SxMJune
ODSay
IK CSR
FerricTDS
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 12

This is fairly relentless.

EDIT:20210807 - Remixed in 2021 - I thought this would be a cosmetic update of the 2013 remix, but things worked out differently. I was never very happy with the syncing of the Microtrance "acid" synthline in the original, so I took the opportunity to replace it with Z3ta+2 and Dune instances, giving the track a "Trance" vibe. I also replaced the ZebraCM patch used during the intro and the Or2v bass with Dune.

The update from EnergyXT2.7beta to EnergyXT2.7 revealed that some of the internal parameters had been "shuffled around", although they were retrievable. I salvaged the project parameters, I adjusted the reverb, panning, leveling and EQ, replaced FerricTDS with Satin on the master bus. The track was then re-mastered in T-Racks5. This might be released on an album sometime in 2022.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/east ... mainline-1

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.3/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5

EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Dragon II
Amphetamine
Cubix
SxMJune
ODSay
Z3ta+2
Dune
IK CSR
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 12
Last edited by seismic1 on Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

i feel like there are like three or four different tracks hidden in this song, that could be explored on their own. together it's almost overwhelming, but i'm sure it's one of those tracks that will grow on me. :)
the mix is excellent, too, but i'm starting to repeat myself. ;)

Epic track Tim, something you can really sink your teeth into. Prog feeling at times, almost jazzy at others, even got a taste of Wendy Carlos' Clockwork Orange off the top. Lovely contrasts with the atmospheric vocal parts against the main groove. Love the enveloped feeling bass, puts me in mind of Gabriel. The burbling synth somehow puts me in mind of Big Audio Dynamite... I know that makes no sense? Really a nice surprise when you cut the beat loose at 7:23.

Great stuff! :tu:
Image Image

astrochimp wrote:i feel like there are like three or four different tracks hidden in this song, that could be explored on their own. together it's almost overwhelming, but i'm sure it's one of those tracks that will grow on me. :)
the mix is excellent, too, but i'm starting to repeat myself. ;)
I think that I put this together from 2 basic blocks. I had the arpeggiated bass/lead synth combo, and the pad intro section (which I used later for the breakdown before returning to the original arps). When putting them together I realised that I would have to change things around a little to accomodate the "vocal" chords and the end sequence, so I suppose there are 3 main sections present.

The next track is structured quite differently. A cyclic soundscape with riddim.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, astrochimp. I hope the acclimatisation will be swift and painless :)

All of the synth sounds were excellent especially the bass and vocal sounds. There were some great melodic bits here and there. The final section was very strong.

Given the bassline, I kept expecting four on the floor drums but that never happened. For my tastes, the piece stayed on medium boil for a little too long. I wanted it to get grooving but it kept chugging along at its own leisurely pace. I may have to wait for the 12" remix to really get into it. :)

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. The mix was perfect. All frequencies were under control. :tu:

truly epic stuff Tim. nice bubbly synths and a great mix. i might have preferred it if the beat came in a little sooner (or the hats later) but a mighty good tune nonetheless :)

neil.

polyslax wrote:Epic track Tim, something you can really sink your teeth into. Prog feeling at times, almost jazzy at others, even got a taste of Wendy Carlos' Clockwork Orange off the top. Lovely contrasts with the atmospheric vocal parts against the main groove. Love the enveloped feeling bass, puts me in mind of Gabriel. The burbling synth somehow puts me in mind of Big Audio Dynamite... I know that makes no sense? Really a nice surprise when you cut the beat loose at 7:23.

Great stuff! :tu:
Thanks very much for the listen and the wonderful comments, Matt. Glad you enjoyed it :)

That Clockwork Orange thing hadn't occurred to me, but now you mention it, I'm starting to wonder. Many times I listen to tracks in the Cafe, I can make a comparison. Other times I think, that sounds like something I know, but I can't put my finger on it. I wonder how much of the music we hear can influence our compositions. Sometimes it's obvious, at other times, more subtle.

PG was one of my idols in the '70s-'90s. I really loved the Genesis stuff and the solo albums he made in the '80s. I think you also mentioned Big Audio Dynamite in connection with one of my earlier tracks.

I stretched out a little on this one (9 minutes). When I go into remix mode, I normally abbreviate things, but I only managed to shave off around 25 seconds here. I felt like I just had to let things run their course :wink:

Those SoundCloud Pro Unlimited accounts might have been an influence too :hihi:

I especially like the intro and the last part, but the trip from one to the other is enjoyable too. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Frantz wrote:All of the synth sounds were excellent especially the bass and vocal sounds. There were some great melodic bits here and there. The final section was very strong.

Given the bassline, I kept expecting four on the floor drums but that never happened. For my tastes, the piece stayed on medium boil for a little too long. I wanted it to get grooving but it kept chugging along at its own leisurely pace. I may have to wait for the 12" remix to really get into it. :)

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. The mix was perfect. All frequencies were under control. :tu:
Thanks very much for checking this out Frantz. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I spent most of the remix time playing with the percussion, knowing that I should really hold back on the full kit until towards the end. I kept trying different combinations and permutations, but kept coming back to the approximate layout that is on here. After all, this is essentially chillout for trainspotters.

Funny that you should mention the frequencies. I forgot to run this through spek until you mentioned it :phew:

seismic1 wrote: I kept trying different combinations and permutations, but kept coming back to the approximate layout that is on here.
Sometimes a track wants to be what it wants to be and it's better not to fight it.
seismic1 wrote: Funny that you should mention the frequencies. I forgot to run this through spek until you mentioned it :phew:
You're living dangerously but you got away with it. :)

macmurphy wrote:truly epic stuff Tim. nice bubbly synths and a great mix. i might have preferred it if the beat came in a little sooner (or the hats later) but a mighty good tune nonetheless :)

neil.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Neil. Glad you liked it :)

I did consider starting the hats later, but I thought the track needed that percussive backing to kick the locomotive into motion.

D.H. Miltz wrote:I especially like the intro and the last part, but the trip from one to the other is enjoyable too. Thanks.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting DHM. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Great dramatic start. The first faster section is interesting. I like the beat on the hihat. Keeps the pace going but with great changes to keep it interesting. The use of the long pads sounds really good. This includes the choir. Drama builds well at about 5:00. End section finishes it off expertly, as usual!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Frantz wrote: Sometimes a track wants to be what it wants to be and it's better not to fight it.
After almost 60 tracks, I seem to rediscover this truth all too frequently :)

Return to “Music Cafe”