What VST(s) as allround sound module? (piano/strings/brass HW replacement with synth function)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I'm new in the vst stuff and already found some nice software.
Seems that software as Korg Wavestation, Proteus, Sampletank, etc does a good job on traditional sounds. But I'm still looking on ways to replace my Yamaha EX5 setup with multi layered and split patches.

Is there any plugin that does a good job in this?
Let's say, an allround sound module plugin with General Midi and some synth functionalities such as a good workstation synth does these days (Triton, Motif,...).

- Decent piano's, strings, brass
- Low on CPU and ram
- Included multi FX

Or should I stick with creating voice setups in Cantabile for every song?

EDIT: I changed my question, I'm not looking for a workstation (synth-seq), but an allround synth plugin, low on ram and cpu
Last edited by godly on Tue May 28, 2013 7:15 am, edited 8 times in total.

take a look at LuSH-101 - it can layer different sounds.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I think the OP wants to split the key board so he has one sound on the left and another on the right. Some controllers let you do this like the roland.

I suppose you can set up your controller/MIDIkeyboard to send the split parts on different MIDI channels, and give your VSTis the according receive channels

godly wrote:Hi guys,
I'm new in the vst stuff and already found some nice hardware.
Seems that software as Korg Wavestation, Proteus, Sampletank, etc does a good job on traditional sounds. But I'm still looking on ways to replace my Yamaha EX5 setup with multi layered and split patches.
Is there any plugin that does a good job in this?
Or should I stick with creating voice setups in Cantabile for every song?
Personally, I'd suggest you stick with whatever software lets you create layers/splits etc with the plugins you've got, and if Cantabile already does it, then its certainly the cheapest solution for you...

And dont Sampletank and Proteus already let you do a certain amount of layering?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

thx folks, yes, sampletank and proteus do that. I'll probably find a combination in Cantabile of that will be my choise of live host.
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

Steinberg Halion 4 does it.

what is your daw ?
afaik, ableton does it very well
you can use energyXT inside your daw

A host (or entire DAW) is a better analogy for a hardware workstation than any single plug-in is. Except that hardware workstations don't (as far as I know) allow you to plug third-party processes into them, so they're ultimately more limited.

yessongs wrote:I think the OP wants to split the key board so he has one sound on the left and another on the right. Some controllers let you do this like the roland.
It's trivial to set these up on most DAWs as well. You just need to filter the range of MIDI notes going into each instrument channel to whatever range you want it to sound in.

There is no soft synth that can do what a Yamaha Motif does. Sure, there are more realistic sounds out of Kontakt etc, but for four-part, smart-chordal/smart key, auto-generative stuff that the Motif is famous for, nothing exists. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. It's so much more than a simple MIDI split setup on the keyboard.

If you've ever played a Motif in Performance mode, you'll know what I mean.

The closest I've found is actually REFX Nexus; the SQ-branded sounds are closest in ethos to the Motif's performances. However, the Motif still has the edge if you need two hands to sound like a four-piece band on the fly.

It's a shame, still the great untapped area of soft synths, IMHO.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Wusik (and PRIZM) can split zones on the keyboard and much more - and can be used as a replacement for a workstation synth with the massive libraries both Wusik and PRIZM has. There is also a ton of third-party expansions that make Wusik and PRIZM an amazing vsti.

SuperCore V2 also lets you split sounds across the keyboard and loads standard soundfonts - and has a very nice 6GB library of its own.

www.supersynths.com for both.

Mike

It's not just a case of splitting some sounds across the keyzones. The Motif's smart arpeggios and chord recognition algorithms are still unmatched, and this means you can walk a double bass in the correct key, at the same time as drumming with fills, at the same time as strumming a rhythm guitar in the correct key, whilst playing a lead piano etc etc. All with two hands.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

danbroad wrote:It's not just a case of splitting some sounds across the keyzones. The Motif's smart arpeggios and chord recognition algorithms are still unmatched, and this means you can walk a double bass in the correct key, at the same time as drumming with fills, at the same time as strumming a rhythm guitar in the correct key, whilst playing a lead piano etc etc. All with two hands.
Ug, for those who want to do that.

Anyway, there's no conceptual reason why a plug-in couldn't provide that same capability. A Motif is only ever going to be a Motif. A DAW can potentially be anything.

danbroad wrote:It's not just a case of splitting some sounds across the keyzones. The Motif's smart arpeggios and chord recognition algorithms are still unmatched, and this means you can walk a double bass in the correct key, at the same time as drumming with fills, at the same time as strumming a rhythm guitar in the correct key, whilst playing a lead piano etc etc. All with two hands.
It's funny that most people that talk about the Motif mostly speak about acoustic instruments while the Motif is capable of doing fantastic synth sounds too.
I got tons of 3rd party synth sounds for my Motif ES 7 that are just great.

Here is an example:
http://easysounds.eshop.t-online.de/epa ... ts/016111D

Not to forget that the Motif has fantastic sounding filters with 18 modes including analog modeled ones.

With a polyphony of 128 voices you could have a Performance with 16 layers and still have a polyphony of 8 notes. This is hard to achieve with software synths, especially LuSH-101 which was mentioned here.

The Arpeggiator is indeed very powerful and could be also used for e.g. Gated sounds or modulation.

Besides that my Motif ES 7 is also my main master keyboard and a center piece of my home studio.

Speaking about softsynths Tone2 ElectraX got up to 4 layers and each one could use either all keys or use a split (high or low, split at C3).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”