Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chuck, great!

Ariajazz/Chuck, Pitch bend and tuner is still considered experimental - we are aware of it needs some small adjustments. We are also aware that the audio channel selector needs redesign. And still some plugin scanner issues of which some has already been fixed in 0.7.4.

Eleventh,
I think picking has been improved in 0.7.3 also. Try to make a steeper slope in pitch sensitivity.
Semitone seperated pitches is a known issue that we will look into.

mantradream,
Small plugin windows fixed in 0.7.4.

0.7.4 BETA is out.

WHATS NEW:
* Fixed issue with plugin windows not resizing correctly.
* Reduced number of plugin scanning issues.

http://JamOrigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-G ... .4-Mac.zip
http://JamOrigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-G ... .4-Win.zip
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

cools .. i love your program :love: .. i just test it today with my macbook pro ... thanks

JamOrigin wrote: Eleventh,
I think picking has been improved in 0.7.3 also. Try to make a steeper slope in pitch sensitivity.
Semitone seperated pitches is a known issue that we will look into.
Thanks for the answer. Fingerpicked notes actually detect quite nicely with a higher sensitivity setting. The only problem is simultaneous notes. Right now you have to arpeggiate the notes ever so slightly to make MG to be able to detect all of them.

Chuck, thanks for measuring the latency it was the big test, and is really helpful. You write about measured times ".... so as you can see, the results are really inconsistent (that's for all version of MG). "
The jitter - when the latency is variable is worse than latency itself. A player can easily adapt to the latency of about 30 ms ( it is just 10 meters away from the speaker) many will simply not notice that. But with jitter - it ruins everything, just try playing drums on MIDI guitar with jitter and you see that it is simply impossible.

Also I think these 1-3 ms that some software buffers add to the total delay do not matter given the above fact and that total delay is about 10 times bigger. These will just complicate the testing.

I think it is much more important 1) to test jitter and 2) test with chords of 6 notes - something more fancy (e.g. m7b5) and 3) count the number of missed notes. For jitter you need to strum them somewhat differently.
Last edited by ironhead on Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironhead wrote:Chuck, thanks for measuring the latency it was the big test, and is really helpful. You write about measured times ".... so as you can see, the results are really inconsistent (that's for all version of MG). "
The jitter - when the latency is variable is worse than latency itself. A player can easily adapt to the latency of about 30 ms ( it is just 10 meters away from the speaker) many will simply not notice that.

Also I think these 1-3 ms that some software buffers add to the total delay do not matter given the above fact and that total delay is about 10 times bigger. These will just complicate the testing.

I thing it is much more important 1) to test jitter and 2) test with chords of 6 notes - something more fancy (e.g. m7b5) and also count the number of missed notes. For jitter you need to strum them somewhat differently.
Jitter is most probably due to the plug-in not time stamping the MIDI events with a deltaFrames value, so sent MIDI events can only happen at the beginning of the next buffer. So the amount of jitter will be dependent on your host's buffer size. (Yet another reason why we always want the lowest host latency we can manage.)

Haven't tried 0.7.4 yet but will shortly. Also I may have had a gain switch on my pre-amp on in my previous test which would have added some harmonics and possibly messed it up. I'll make sure it's off in my next round of tests.

I've just download v0.7.4 I'll be trying it soon

in standalone mode 64bit [ MG v0.7.4 ] i still can not swap between two instrument [ vsti ] or change to none .. MG crash to restart again with the same instrumen .. i have to clear it again and add manually

I am new to this thread. First I want to thank the developer for doing this great piece of software. I own two Axons and one GI20; I have played midi guitar for the last 20 years. This new software, this Jam Origin Midi Guitar makes midi guitar playing available and affordable to the masses. So thank you Jam Origin.

I use Sonar X2a and have not been able to get Midi Guitar to output midi within Sonar when used as a vst synth. I have followed the directions to configure as a synth, to ennable midi output, to use regedit and change the field to 1....... Still, within Sonar I could never get it working. So I found a workaround that may be obvious to some, may already have been noted but this is what I did to get Jam Origin Midi Guitar to work in conjuntion to Sonar on my particular machine. I post this in case it helps others find a workaround if and only if the prescribed method is not working. BTW I am using v7.4.

Here is my convoluted way around my trouble:

1. I installed loopmidi, and set up one instance of loopmidi, which gives one midi input and one midi output track.
2. In Sonar X2a's Preferences, I activated/selected loopmidi for active in both midi input and midi outputs.
3. Next, run Jam Origin Midi Guitar in STANDALONE MODE only outside of Sonar. Do not insert this as a vst instrument (only because that never worked on my system).
4. Next, I inserted a different vst instrument --whatever vst softsynth you want to play. I chose Alchemy in Sonar X2a.
5. On this softsynth midi input (Alchmey's in my case), select "loopmidi" within its midi input track. Choose omni as the channel.
6. Make sure that the softsynth has input echo activated.
7. Arm and record the midi from the soft synth's own midi input track (Alchemy in my case).

This convoluted method (while not getting Midi Guitar to work within my DAW as a vst itself), did provide a means for me to use Midi Guitar along side of, and in conjunction with my version of Sonar X2a. By running Jam Origin as a Standalone along side of (in addition to) my Sonar X2a it works fine to trigger and record softsynths within Sonar.

Hope this helps someone.

I wish once the developer gets the kinks and bugs out that he will consider allowing alternate guitar tunings like DGDGBD or DADGAD or others. Still he has done impressive work in making midi guitar available to the masses. Excellent work in progress!!!

This post is only intended to provide an alternative workaround for persons having trouble using MIDI GUITAR as a vst plugin within Sonar. This is an odd workaround for my system which never got Jam Origin Midi Guitar to output midi as a synth vst within Sonar itself.

EDITED: Let me add. I like this product enough that I went on and purchased a license today. I am impressed and trust that the developer will continue to perfect this instrument, this midi guitar software, this noble cause.

I tested it with my fretless bass in FL Studio 11.

Since this was designed for a guitar's range, I lose a lot of potential range on the bass. Any chance there could be a bass mode that tracks that lower range too? :D

Pitch bend was definitely weird -- pretty much useless for controlling other plugins -- but I believe that's an FL Studio issue with pitch bend range. :/ I don't know if there's anything you can do in your code to work around it, but it kills the motivation I'd have for buying a license for it.

If I could get it to track the full range of my bass and could get pitch bend to behave, I'd definitely go for it...

foosnark wrote: Pitch bend was definitely weird -- pretty much useless for controlling other plugins -- but I believe that's an FL Studio issue with pitch bend range.
The host doesn't molest the contents of MIDI streams. (Not even FLS is that crazy.)

0.7.4 is tracking much better. (And I think some of the issues I had with the last version may have been settings on my pre-amp.)

It's still not liking 6 note chords, even when the strings are strummed slowly. It's only playing about 5 notes, maximum. (And I'm just playing a nice wide E major chord.)

This of course makes the poly-tuner mostly useless. I did manage to get it to show 6 open strings at once but only after strumming about 20 times, and even then it only lasted for a second or two before notes started disappearing.

The tuner also seems to show the pitch going up and down, even though that's impossible on an open string. (Doesn't happen when I drive MIDI-Guitar from a single unmodulated synth oscillator, so it must be something about the guitar tone that's doing it.)

Pitch bend has gone insane. It's "warbling" on higher notes -- quickly jumping up and down even when I'm not bending at all or playing an open string. Even if I turn it down to a low range like 2, it's still jumping around. (This is a lot faster than the tuner pitch issue I described above.)

We still have bug where changes to the pitch bend range control on the Advanced page are not reflected on the pitch bend rage control on the Essentials page.

I still don't understand why there seems to be internal clipping when the sensitivity is too high. Are you doing fixed point math or something? (There shouldn't be any reason to. Floating point is actually faster on modern CPUs.)

Latency still feels a lot higher than I'd like. I find I start to slow down as I play due to the delay.

I still feel like versions previous to 0.6 were a lot better in every way. But at least we're moving in the right direction again. Thanks.

Hi I need some help I can't seem to find how to limit the sustain on soft synths. MG has some settings but they seem not to have much effect. What parameters would I need to adjust on the synth itself to reduce the sustain?

Daggilarr wrote:Hi I need some help I can't seem to find how to limit the sustain on soft synths. MG has some settings but they seem not to have much effect. What parameters would I need to adjust on the synth itself to reduce the sustain?
You probably mean Release, not Sustain. If notes are continuing to decay after you've muted the guitar strings, it's probably due to a long Release segment (the last segment) in one or several of the envelopes.

In a classic ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release) envelope, Sustain is a level, not a time. It's the level that the envelope decays down to while the key is still held down. (And if it's at zero, the note will eventually vanish even if you continue to hold the key down.) Decay is the time to go from peak to Sustain level. And Attack is the time to fade in from nothing to peak level.

A typical guitar-like envelope would have a zero Attack (instantly jumps to the loudest level) a long Decay time, a zero (or very low) Sustain level, and a short or zero Release time.

Thank you this is helpful.

I got v7.4 to scan my plugins from standalone mode. However, when I try to load a synth vsti from within Midi Guitar, it crashes.

The only way I can get it to play synths is:
Launch Midi Guitar in standalone
Choose No Instrument for output
Choose loopmidi for midi output
Launch separately another standalone synth like Kontakt
Within Kontakt choose Loopmidi for midi input.

This works to play synths in parallel standalone modes.

I am using an I7 2600k. 16 gigs of ram. Win764bit,

I am fine with this workaround because I can use it. However, I thought I would report my issue with scaning and USING vsts from within Midi Guitar so that the developer at least knows what some of us are experiencing. This crashing was also reported by another user on the Sonar forum software gear thread about Midi Guitar: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2749780&mpage=3

Return to “Instruments”