Audio editor with auto record

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anybody know an audio editor software that can record input only when signal is present? I love this feature in Image-Line's Edison but it lacks some other things in standalone mode, so I am looking for an alternative.

The software should only start recording when audio input is present, then pause afterwards and automatically continue recording when it gets input again.

Hi!
audiosync wrote:Does anybody know an audio editor software that can record input only when signal is present? I love this feature in Image-Line's Edison but it lacks some other things in standalone mode, so I am looking for an alternative.

The software should only start recording when audio input is present, then pause afterwards and automatically continue recording when it gets input again.
Hmmm, I guess Acoustica (http://acondigital.com/products/acoustica-audio-editor/) almost does what you need (even the free Basic Edition). It starts and stops automatically (see "Timer record" in the recording dialog), but unfortunately, it doesn't restart the recording when a signal is present again. The auto-pause option would be an easy feature to implement, though. Maybe something I should consider...

Stian

I know most people probably have no need for that feature, but it is great for recording in the background while experimenting with some plugins and use the recorded material for cutting interesting parts afterwards.

I often have to load files or set up some parameters in between where no sound is playing. With this option I never needed to cut out big parts of silence or had too big files from those 'jam-sessions'…

I indeed had a look at your editor today because it's been a while since I first used it but still remembered it! Btw the only one that I gave a try before asking - Interesting that you are coming up with an answer ;-)

audiosync wrote:I know most people probably have no need for that feature, but it is great for recording in the background while experimenting with some plugins and use the recorded material for cutting interesting parts afterwards.

I often have to load files or set up some parameters in between where no sound is playing. With this option I never needed to cut out big parts of silence or had too big files from those 'jam-sessions'…
I see how this could be useful and I'll try to get it in as soon as possible. As I said, it's not a big deal to implement. We're just about to release version 6, and things are a bit hectic, but I'll see what I can do.
audiosync wrote:I indeed had a look at your editor today because it's been a while since I first used it but still remembered it! Btw the only one that I gave a try before asking - Interesting that you are coming up with an answer ;-)
Funny coincidence... :-) Thanks for checking out Acoustica!

Stian

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Say stian,

another thing i found while fooling around: it seems that I cannot drag samples from Acoustica and drop it into my DAW. Did i do something wrong here or is that impossible?

audiosync wrote:Say stian,

another thing i found while fooling around: it seems that I cannot drag samples from Acoustica and drop it into my DAW. Did i do something wrong here or is that impossible?
You are not doing anything wrong. Unfortunately, it is not possible to drag content from Acoustica and drop it in another host (separate process).

Stian

audiosync wrote:The software should only start recording when audio input is present, then pause afterwards and automatically continue recording when it gets input again.
You can do this with the "Save live output to disk" feature in Reaper. Just set the threshold in the "Don't save when below" option and it will act as a level-activated recorder. I wrote a brief description of how to do this here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/a ... p-0910.htm

Cheers,

Malcolm.
5, 4, 3, ..

5.1 wrote:You can do this with the "Save live output to disk" feature in Reaper. Just set the threshold in the "Don't save when below" option and it will act as a level-activated recorder. I wrote a brief description of how to do this here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/a ... p-0910.htm
Nice tut, thanks for the info. Although it's too much steps for my kind of workflow.

Geist does this

Goldwave does this as well.

feralsystems wrote:Goldwave does this as well.
OMG, that still looks like Win 3.11! :D
Those editors all seem not to support drag&drop - I didn't expect that.
How free is Geist in getting samples to other applications? I don't want to save and import wav files all the time and anyway I think it is a little oversized to be used as sample editor only...

Guess I will stick with Edison which seems to have fewest drawbacks for my purpose.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”