new features

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

this -
http://www.xoxos.net/temp/astretch.mp3

and this -

decided to add a shape param to envelopes for percussion as i've noticed many of the sounds i like have the ogee/turnip kinda taper to them.

default contours are linear, ^2, ^3, ^4 (curve param) horizontally. originally i'd intended to have the shape param adjust the contours in one direction (towards the upper row) giving that fireball shape i want. this morning i noticed the funky contours are very similar to a very famous drum machine sound.. and probably have good application as they immediately damp the attack and have a ~body swell.

so we're now up to two additional parameters for an envelope section.. have i daunted you with my excessive parameterisation yet?

after making the diagram, i thought, okay, well, let's go in the other direction my envelopes go in, and it looks like this:

itfp, everything below the center is mostly junk, perhaps the occasional emulative application for stuff with odd resonances. the stuff on the top line is visually appealing to me.. but can pretty much be done using the note length and release time when sequencing. i'm thinking i could leave this axis out and no one would miss it. leaving it out will remove the additional complexity of resetting this param to zero.

for those who are interested, the s-curve is noted in my dsp pdf x*x*(3-2x) and can be done like this in synthedit or other modular systems if you don't code.

you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

2x the s-curve for your eyes :) the difference in curvature is less subtle to the ear (eg. those ^4 tails look flat but are certainly audible).
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

oh, and happy "my friends are in jail for twenty years" day.

spent a while patching with the ranges shown in the last picture yesterday. the extent of both parameters are a little extraneous, eg. about ^3 is about as far as a snare can go before the tail is practically silent.

the inverse s-curve is more useful than i anticipated.. the positive axis (upper rows) i like a small amount of. at the extreme it makes the sample sound shorter, and generally serves to emphasise the first half of the sample and make the release quieter, wouldn't you know ;)

the inverse does the opposite, and perceptually makes the decay envelope sound longer.. say bottom row, second over.. the effect of this envelope makes the attack very brief and the 'body' sounds almost like a resonant response to the attack, sort of a whoosh after.

considering this, it may communicate better if this parameter were called balance instead of shape as it weights the early and late decay..

New features of what plugin? Sifft?

general, at least for amp envelopes.

i try to leave a release as-is for compatability, if i can improve sifft it'll probably be something else.

and "sadly" the timestretch isn't realtime, at least this decade.

here's my version of enticement advertising:

my next project was going to be to take advantage of my large collection of samples from my heavily modified dr-110, and do a general synth percussion pack as i've cached a few rarities over the years (eg. mesh models that used far too much cpu to release, stuff that did weird stuff.. i have a dvd's worth of signals recorded during development...).

..and a pdf or similar guide for patching percussion. that, i think would be a cultural contribution :p :oops:

then i decided to model it instead. the clap is ~identical to other roland machines, however eg. the noise always begins with the same leading edge (which 808/909 et c. does not). this could be a design difference or a circuit flaw, as i've seen a few samples from 808s and 909s where the trigger pulse is leaked into the waveform (looks like a ~square block). the effect is that it adds a pitched resonance to each attack, making for a more "recallable punchy" timbre. never seen another machine do that.

anyways, i'm real happy with some of the advents i've been able to put together, i'm sure all public awareness thereof will be lost in a sea of other analog percussion emulations.

btw -
chris randall/audiodamage posted a multisampled 909 set years ago, of all the 909 samples i've seen, these are the most calibrated to the information in the service manual, which makes them a tremendously appreciable resource imo :)

Return to “xoxos”